“So so very nice restaurant and great buffet for corp functions”
Review of Aviator Hotel

Aviator Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
cheshire
“So so very nice restaurant and great buffet for corp functions”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I booked an event here and the event planner I used on a freelance basis was given a gift by the hotel but nothing for the client that booked the event, hence very disappointing.
The room was quite nice but the leather base of the bed was all stained and made me uncomfortable as they were white stains. You also had to pull the bedding out so this was a little unpleasant. the carpet was marked in places and I think they need to give any worn decor an overhall.
Lift buttons and lift were dirty.
The food is very good here though and the buffet was excellent!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed here just over a week ago for 1 night while away on business. Reception and check was efficient extremely welcoming (lovely little drink on arrival). I found a lack of signs giving directions to the rooms a little odd and it took me a while to find mine but I got there in the end.

The room (I had a residential view room, rather than overlooking the airport) was really spacious and right up my street with the mix of contemporary and old artwork. Excellent complimentary internet connection which is very welcome these days, rather than having to pay silly money for it. Overall the room was lovely and clean, with bathrobes and super comfy slippers. However, the shower head in the bathroom was very clogged with lime-scale and all but a trickle came out. There was no complimentary water in the room that I'd read about, not the end of the world, if I'd really wanted it I'm sure a call to reception would have had it sorted quickly.

My colleague and I ate in the restaurant and the service was slow and painful to be honest. It wasn't particularly busy and sometimes that means staff lose focus and we just seemed to be forgotten about. Not to mention the lack of a smile from anyone. The food was average, nothing bad, nothing to shout about.

The nights sleep was just great - after a long and tiring day the bed was huge and very comfortable (and I'm a real fusspot when it comes to hotel beds).

I checked out and took my bags to the car before having breakfast, very quick and efficient check out which is always great when you're limited for time. There was a large selection for breakfast, everything you can think of and all very fresh and plenty of it... however, what was lacking again was the merest hint of a smile or friendliness. The restaurant staff could take a few tips from the reception and concierge, they were very nice

The restaurant service certainly wouldn't put me off staying there again, just perhaps won't eat there.

Room Tip: Air-side rooms would be great if you're interested in watching the planes, but I wouldn't bo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Liverpool
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Good value, great hotel. Excellent service. Loved the airport idea.

• Stayed May 2011
Slough,Berks
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Myself,family and friends (10 in total) had a great Mother's Day lunch in the Brasserie at the Aviator Hotel on March 18th.It was my second time visiting as had previously had a meal there to celebrate my nephew's 18th birthday in Oct 2011.Can't obvs comment on the rooms as have never stayed there,but both meals I've had there have been very good IMO.On Mother's Day as you can imagine,it was very busy,but we were seated as soon as we arrived to our reserved table(had previously booked)and was handed menus straight away and offered drinks.My sister wanted a cocktail (£9.50 each,pricey but blooming moorish)and that had to be mixed upstairs in the Sky Bar and then bought downstairs to us,but was very quick and not a problem.The rest of us had wine and water.The cost for a 3 course set menu (4 choices for each course) was £22.00 and £19.00 for 2 courses which I think is a very good price for a chic,classy,beautiful hotel.
The food was served promptly and the only 2 probs we had was that my brother in law's starter was forgotten,so we all had ours and we had to remind waitress about his starter and that was sorted out very quickly.The other little gripe is some of the food was served luke warm (not a prob to me,but my Mum likes her food piping hot),but again not a major prob as the food was so tasty and well presented.The gravy that was served with the roast beef was to die for.I didn't have a dessert but opted for an Irish Coffee (£7.50 again pricey!!!),but hey it was a special day.Another nice touch was that all the Mum's received a free glass of champers also.Very nice!!!They catered very well for my 5 yr old son.Either a meal of the kids menu or a small roast dinner which is what he wanted.
Overall we all had a lovely time and the hotel's in a great location being right next to Farnborough airfield with a good view to it from the restaurant.The staff are nice and attentive and food is good.We like it so much that we are having lunch here on Christmas Day this year and we are looking forward to that very much.A few little complaints,but nothing that would make me not come here again.A wonderful day out and can't wait for Christmas now......

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jesseche
Essex
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband & I booked a last minute weekend break and we had the most relaxing time, we didn't want to leave!

A very chic hotel, in great condition with a very large suite!

Look forward to returning!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ParadiseSeeker80
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I arrived at the Aviator Hotel on the 20th April for a 2 night break as it was my birthday, we decided to go for the 2 for 1 deal and stayed in one of the sky suites. On arrival the staff were more than helpful and very friendly making us feel welcome, the suite was lovely and spacious with strawberries and a card, only criticism being that a note was left in the room explaining how the tv at the end of the bed wasn't working. We had dinner in the Brasserie restaurant both nights, however the menu was quite restrictive on the 1st night due to the 2 for 1 offer which includes 1 nights dinner, also the service was very slow on the 1st night 3 courses taking over 2 hours. Dinner on the next night was much better as service was a lot quicker and we had access to the full menu. The food in the restaurant is very nice though and portions were filling. Breakfast both mornings was quite slow and we had to grab the attention of someone to order our food, other from that there was a good selection with us going for the full English. The sky bar was nice with a relaxing feel to it of which we enjoyed both nights. Overall it was an enjoyable stay but the service/speed in the restaurant could do with looking at.

• Stayed April 2012
Bagshot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We needed a break and to our utter amazement we only traveled a few miles to Farnborough. That does not sound special in itself however we went to the Aviator and what a break we had.

Plus points

Early check in and late checkout made the whole experience very relaxed and very enjoyable.

The room was the right size, tidy, clean and perfect for the time we spent in it.

Believe me that these are the basics because from here it got so much better.

We had booked in to have the 5 course taster menu. We were treated to our own room and were treated very well by our waitress who gets a special mention, Ashima if you are reading this you should be very happy with how you conducted yourself and you should get a raise!.

All of the food was very well presented and delicious. However my partner and I both agree that the standout memory that we take away from the Aviator is the staff.
I have had many experiences where the location and the food were great, however the staff were inept and this is what makes you not come back.
This is not the case with the Aviator. We met many members of staff due to our table being in the wine room and we have nothing but praise for their motivation, knowledge and enthusiasm.

In short, nothing but praise and we will be back very soon.

Minus points, errrr, our rhubarb jelly had no taste. That's all I have.

Room Tip: We had the basic and it was more than good enough. Enough space, clean tidy. What more do you want...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Village Hotel Farnborough
Holiday Inn Farnborough
Holiday Inn Farnborough
#6 of 7 in Farnborough
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!