“My Boyfriend's Belated Birthday Celebration Weekend”
Review of Aviator Hotel

Aviator Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had a lovely stay at The Aviator.

My boyfriend and I arrived separately (I came by train; he drove). When I arrived, I was greeted, offered to have my bag taken from me, and directed to the check-in desk on the first floor. Check-in was quick and easy; the receptionist was helpful and informative.

I had booked a Studio room with an airside view - I was glad I paid the extra and upgraded; the extra sitting area space really made the room feel large and luxurious. The only downside for me was that by choosing an airside room it meant that the bathroom only had a shower (not a bath as well).

The bed was firm, but still comfy. As the mattress was firm, I would have preferred pillows that were similar, but instead, they were quite flat. This wasn't an issue though - there were plenty of cushions to use!

I watched a movie while getting ready and waiting for my boyfriend to arrive - there's a large selection which was impressive for a free service.

Our dinner reservation was at 20.15. Like other reviewers, I found the service to be very slow. Our drink order wasn't taken until after our food order (we wanted a cocktail menu, not the wine menu) and our drinks arrived after we had finished our starters. From this point, the service picked up. The waiters were all very friendly, but I would prefer a slightly more attentive service, especially as the restaurant wasn't very full. I don't mind waiting for food, but was very thirsty!

The restaurant must have been told by the front desk that we were celebrating my boyfriend's birthday, so even though we declined our desserts (we were stuffed!) they brought out some chocolates for him to sample.

We left the restaurant (2 courses and 1 drink each) at 22:50. It was lovely to have a leisurely dinner, but this took a longer than we anticipated (we had an early start the next morning).

The next day we had breakfast before heading out for the day. There was a large selection, and it was all very tasty, but unfortunately, a little cold.

I wish we had chance to sample the Sky Bar, but our schedule was so jam-packed, we just couldn't - hopefully next time!

We noticed our bed had been turned down on our return, and candles were lit. This was a lovely little touch.

The next morning, our breakfast was much hotter.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will certainly stay again; but next time, I would spend the whole weekend there, rather than venturing out. That way, we could really relax and enjoy everything the hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: We stayed in 227 which was right by the door for the lifts, but we weren't disturbed at all! Thi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SammyZF

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We booked this hotel fairly last minute as we could not get a room at our first choice hotel in London. I am so glad we did. Do not listen to reviews which say the service is dreadful. From the moment we arrived ( and we were upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor without prompting), the service was impeccable. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble from the staff from the cleaners to the chef !
The suite was beautifully clean and very spacious and all the little extra touches made it so special.
We ate in the restaurant both nights ( the chateaubriand is well worth the money), the service there was unobtrusive but very attentive. The wine was good and very reasonably priced. We never waited for too long between courses as some reviewers have said, even though the restaurant was full both nights. Usually if food comes straight out it means a microwave has been in use, that is definitely not the case here. All the waiting staff were well trained and friendly.The bread, which is made on site is delicious and varied, don't eat too much as it would spoil your appetite for the delicious food.
Breakfast in the morning was equally good with lovely good quality yogurts and homemade pastries. There is also a cooked breakfast selection. Tea and coffee were offered as soon as we sat down and more offered constantly. There was also lovely chilled freshly squeezed orange juice.
I could go on for ages as we really enjoyed our weekend there, we relaxed, watched several films( which are free ), ate well, were pampered and made to feel special.
We will definitely be back

Room Tip: Our rooms were very quiet. Maybe because we were on the 4th floor?
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scary58
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Gorgeous! This was our third stay and each time has been wonderful. The room was stylish, clean, comfortable and well appointed. The staff friendly, helpful and professional. The hotel gives a feeling of privacy and we have never been disturbed by corridor noise which is so commonplace in most hotels. The food and service in the restaurant is also second to none for dinner and breakfast.

1  Thank Pandora G
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We live fairly local but went for a nights stay in march for our wedding anniversary after a few problems, I'd complained and they said to come back for another stay and they would make it a better experience. A friend was having a wedding at another hotel in farnborough so decided to make a weekend of it and stay in the aviator. We didn't seem to get any of the little details like cocktail on arrival but hoped that the experience would be better this time. We got the 2 for 1 experience which includes an evening meal on one of the night and breakfast on both mornings. I also booked afternoon tea. The afternoon tea was good but felt very uncomfortable as the waitress hived around us constantly clearing plates from the cake stand instead of leaving us to enjoy it.

We had been introduced to the member of staff that I'd emailed my complaint to and we were told if there was any problems to get in touch with us, he'd also left a little letter in the room to confirm his contact details and a few chocolates, apart from that nothing was any different.

We had our evening meal which was lovely and when we returned to the hotel room and tried to get some sleep there was extremely loud one beat music coming from the sky lounge as there was a function on which is fine but sad we weren't attending the function we thought we would of been put in a room fair enough a way not to hear it. The bed was extremely lumpy, uncomfortable and rock hard.

I tried for over an hour to sleep, but gave in and luckily we live close enough to go home. Knowing we had a wedding the next day I knew I needed sleep so jumped in the car and went home returning the next morning.

I emailed the same contact in the early hours of the morning at the hotel telling them the problems and that we would be checking out before the wedding at 1pm and not returning.

We went for breakfast in the morning and there was constantly waiting staff hovering around us trying to clear away before we'd finished. We would of liked to relax and eat breakfast in peace instead I'd had enough and walked out.

We were not approached at all by any of the management staff the following day and we got ready for the wedding and went to check out to which the hotel receptionist wasn't surprised and stated the email had been forwarded to them. They only charged us for the evening meal and drinks that we'd had and waived the room rates.

When the receptionist discussed the problem, she tried to deny the music was coming from the sky lounge and said it was coming from one of the rooms which to be honest wasn't true and we didn't really care about at that point.

We feel it spoilt our a weekend and made us very tired and put the dampeners on us enjoying our friends wedding too. Having a young son we don't get much time to ourselves and we really wanted to make the most of gran visiting to take care of our son. Instead we didn't ge that chance.

Morel of the story we will never ever return to the aviator to stay again.

5  Thank PaulaChillery
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Went to the Aviator this evening and having read previous reviews was dreading it. Well what can I say we were seated quickly, attentive waitress, water brought to the table immediately, meal chosen and sat back and waited. The starter was quick in arriving as was the bread and wine, a short but much needed rest between starter and mains, which was quickly followed by the dessert. Throughout the meal, our wine and water glasses were filled, table kept clean, and staff making sure all was ok. The restaurant Manager also ensured we were being attended to. Not at all overpowering. The food was exceptional, the starter the best I have had in along time, mains delicious and more importantly hot. Dessert out of this world. The restaurant was full and everyone was receiving their food in good time. Have no hesitation in recomending them. We'll done

1  Thank RJHants
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We booked a family get together at the hotel including rooms and a meal at the restaurant. Though the rooms were nice the restaurant was awful. The maître d was extremely rude when I asked for a different main as I did not enjoy my original choice. We waited over an hour between starter and main course and even then they didn't get it right. When the bill arrived they had added on a number of drinks that we hadn't ordered. We went to the bar upstairs, where it took 30 minutes for our drinks to arrive, then we were told quite rudely to get out as the bar was closing. The hotel is quite nice and the breakfast good but due to the appalling service I would not stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Shuggywoos
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Celebrating a friends birthday party we stayed in a double with agreed discounted rate of £95 B&B, which was very clean and sparkled. There was a hand held and rain shower that was very good in a wet room layout. The large double was firm but really comfortable. There was free Wireless and a good selection of free films available.
We utilised the spa and had the couples massage which was nice and relaxing , although this couldn't be done in the same room at the time.
The cocktail bar on the 1st floor was utilised extensively and the staff were very friendly, offering some fantastic party cocktails.
The only disappointment was the food served in the restaurant, for a short lunch menu with 4 starters 4 main and 4 desserts the quality of the food and service was poor , a real disappointment for such a fantastically turned out hotel , the restaurant could be a real attraction and was a real disappointment . The breakfast was redeeming and offered a fantastic spread , however my poached eggs were rock hard , how difficult is it to cook a poached egg.

Room Tip: At the rear of the hotel is the run way , although the planes are very infrequent, we stayed at the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!