“Aviation glamour”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
London
“Aviation glamour”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We recently had our third stay so felt the time was right for a review. The first visit was a gift for my husband, he's former RAF so I knew he'd love the aviation theme, which he did. The 2nd visit we also visited the Air Show staying in a Sky Suite. Third visit to make use of the weekend 2 nights price of 1 offer staying in a Sky Suite.
So a bit more info:
Yes the area around it isn't very interesting or picturesque. There's a decent pub down the road as well as a small air museum. However, if you are after a relaxed and romantic break to reconnect in gorgeous hotel surroundings you will do here.
The hotel is always pristine with all communal areas spotless and well styled in 50s style glamour. If you can splash out and get a Sky Suite, double the size of standard rooms they are gorgeous and super comfortable with huge bed and gorgeous seating area (could seat 5!) with separate tv to cuddle up on before bedtime to watch movies, with great surround sound. Walk in wardrobes. Huge bathrooms. You really barely need to leave your room!
There is a pretty good gym, again very nicely styled and overlooking airfield, with several treadmills, bikes and weights.
Restaurant is always a good experience, good dinner food (a few more options for veggies would be nice) but glam setting and fabulous breakfast spread.
We've had some issues with breakfast room service on several occasions with them totally messing up/forgetting our order so recommend going down and eating there if you can!
Staff are sweet and attentive, again as they are a very young staff on the whole sometimes things aren't quite as smooth as you hope.
Last stay in Sky Suite was great but the much advertised Missoni blankets weren't there (we had to call and ask for them) - bit annoying when they specially mention these on the Sky Suit descriptions- and you'll need them to drape over you on sofa area in evening. The small tv by the bed set into the room divider is far too quiet even on highest volume setting so was barely worth watching- this really needs to be looked into as we all love watching tv in bed! The tv in bathroom barely worked and only had 2 channels ! If they could sort these few niggles and get their breakfast service team up to scratch it'd almost be a perfect flawless experience.

But we always look forward to retuning, for such a huge hotel it still feels very personal and as someone who really vales style in a hotel (even though such a glam look is usually not my preference ) it all works brilliantly and is a very comfortable but stylish experience from the moment you enter.

Room Tip: Take advantage of weekend rates and book a Sky Suite!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jemimastar1 ,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. It's lovely to hear that you've enjoyed your overall experience.
Please feel free to contact myself directly if you decide to return in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Polish first
South East
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at The Aviator last week and although only for a one night stay I will certainly be returning. The hotel has a very 'high class' feel about it, from the intial entrance to the 747 business class stairwell (you will understand when you see it) to the greeting at reception with a welcome drink to the quality of the fixtures and fittings in the guest rooms everything oozes quality.

The room was amazingly quiet, so well soundproofed I am not sure I heard anything all night and had a great nights sleep.

If I was to pick any holes whatsoever it would be for a very minor issue but I was surprised to only see one single hand soap available in the bathroom which did feel a little 'stingy' but in all other regards I couldn't fault The Aviator.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nick T,

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and appreciate our stylish interiors.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Following my previous review of a disappointing afternoon tea at the Aviator, the guest relations team got in touch with me to arrange for myself and my guests to visit again.

Free voucher and complimentary champagne aside (which was very nice, thank you), I am pleased to say that the Aviator seems to have pulled its socks up when it comes to serving afternoon tea. It was a complete contrast to the disappointing service we received on our last visit. We were seated straight away, the staff offered to take our coats and the champagne was brought over. The Aviator still serve a pot of hot water and a selection of tea bags on the table - this is okay as long as you know what to expect. As it was we all played safe and had English breakfast tea, although there was a large selection to choose from. A small jug of milk and a receptacle for used teabags/sugar sachets etc. was also provided.

I could not believe it when the food was bought over - as the young waiter said, they have certainly revamped the menu and you do get more for you money - a whole cake stand EACH! The 4 finger sandwiches and Scotch egg are as before, but they have upgraded the scone quantity to two (with generous sized serving dishes of jam and clotted cream - much better than having to share) and we got 5 small sweets each, including a shot glass of a delicious lemon posset, an apricot macaroon, two chocolatey nibbles and a strawberry mousse delight. It was all well presented. It was particularly appreciated that the waiter that brought the food over took the time to tell us what each dish was. The chef has improved the menu and the attention to detail and effort really showed. We very much enjoyed trying everything and we pleased to be able to box up the leftovers (after signing a disclaimer!) to take home with us - there is no way one person could manage all that food in a single sitting. Full price for Sat afternoon tea (no champagne) is £23 which is very reasonable with this revamped menu. It is even cheaper to go mid week so I would recommend trying that.

We found the attitudes of the staff very pleasant too. After the afternoon tea we took a wander upstairs to show one of my guests the Sky Bar. The two chaps on the entrance were really friendly and didn't seem to mind that we had just gone up to have a nose. In fact the whole atmosphere in the hotel - staff and guests - seemed vastly improved from last time.

My only slight niggles would be that we were not offered an additional pot of hot water later on (although I'm sure if required we could have asked as there were plenty of staff milling about). It would also be nice to be given two plates each, one for sandwiches and one for sweets. Small cake forks for the tiny puddings would also enhance the experience.

To their credit, the guest relations team have clearly worked with the brasserie manager and chefs to implement improvements following previous comments on Tripadvisor. As a result we had a really nice afternoon and I would revisit again in the future as long as these standards are maintained.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank maddiemcv
Dear Maddiemcv,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience with us at Aviator. We recognise that we still have some work to do but have made some significant improvements where Afternoon Tea is concerned.

Hampshire
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed for one night, we ate dinner in the restaurant. We had the taster menu which included a wine with each course. Probably didn't need the G & T we had beforehand! We only managed six courses! Everyone we came into contact with was polite and friendly. Room was massive, very clean, quiet and comfortable. The view over the airfield was the icing on the cake for us. It is also pleasing to see the Hotel's commitment to the local community.

Room Tip: Airfield view made it for us.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LittleacornHampshire ,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us at Aviator.

tinton falls, nj
Reviewed 20 January 2014

this is my first trip to england and i was lucky to stay at the aviator. very expensive hotel and it looks the price. stunning interiors. heavy doors and walls keep out the noise. you dont even hear a plane going above the hotel ! great bathrooms and beds. no complaints about comfort at all. free internet, complimentary ( and a great ) breakfast. very pleasant staff.

the reason it is not excellent ? there is this strange smell throughout the lobby / corridor. glad that it was not in the rooms. it is not very strong but you need to have a cold not to notice it. the restaurants are not well staffed ( very long wait for your food and then your check ). The food itself was more on the high-calorie side ( most of the items ) and very expensive given the nature of the hotel ofcourse. I "always" burnt my hands when using the sink.. ! that is a strange comment to give, i know, but then again, why would i even give that.. ? the water is so hot, you will burn your hands if you dont watch out. the shower is not the same though. it is a regular-temperature shower.

if you are going on a business trip, perfect. stay here. spend your company's money and enjoy while you can. This is a very exclusive hotel.

if you are on a personal trip, unless you like throwing away money, you wouldnt want to stay here. ( again, this is my first trip to england and my only experience with a hotel there. )

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kalla78,

I would like to thank you for your feedback and also apologies for my delayed response.
I'm the new Hotel Manager here at Aviator and take the quality of our guest experiences very seriously. I've looked into your comments and addressed the issues that you've noted and hope a return visit to Aviator sometime in the near future will restore your faith in us.
I'm looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Bath, England
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is a welcoming hotel - slightly different from a standard one. The reception is on the 1st floor. The beds are comfortable and despite being next to the airport the rooms are sound proofed and I never heard an aircraft ! The free wifi is good and strong in the rooms. The showers are fantastic and the best I have had in many a hotel.

The staff are extremely helpful and well worth a mention. One gets the feeling they will be able to cater for whatever you wish for. We ate in the business section and had a buffet which was quite excellent - very tender meat.

The Sky Bar is extremely good. There is no standing - only seated. Great ambience and relaxing however watch the prices of the drinks. If you want to drink seated - in a private well spaced setting where you can have a conversation then this is for you - though it does cost.

You get what you pay for in life. I love this hotel. It is more expensive than others in the area but to be frank there is nothing this good for at least 15 or so miles around.

I hope this review helps. Though I went on business I would very much like to visit with my wife.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 December 2013

If you need to be in this area, I would highly recommend this hotel. I like the modern feel, and the food and services were very good. The food in the restaurant and bar were excellent. We had both dinner, and breakfast in the hotel. Check-in and check-out was a bit awkward, however, with the reception being on the 2nd floor and the entrance on the 1st floor.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Village Hotel Farnborough
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!