“Amazing staff”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Bedfordhsire
“Amazing staff”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have just returned from a weekend at the Aviator. Superb service from the minute we stepped through the door with complimentary cocktails (yum) to the chocolates in the room to the amazing staff in the Skylounge . Dinner was fantastic (highly recommend the lamb and the scallops). Will definitley visit again.

Room Tip: Airside for the views
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Tracyi2297,

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you decide to return in the near future.

Happy Easter.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Although I live only a few miles from this hotel it has always intrigued us since its completion some 4 years ago. Being local - I have often frequented its ground floor Deli for some Lunchtime treats and of a weekend had just coffee, afternoon Tea in its Brasserie or Cocktails in its SkyBar. No real complaints - just observations about slow service at both the bar (Cocktails) and food in the Deli.

It is the nicest looking hotel I've been in - within the UK. Super modern and a change from all the Country Houses usually found in Hampshire and Surrey.

As an anniversary present I decided to book a night in one of the Aviators Suites - Airside to watch the planes too. Simple booking process and a pleasant check-in with a nice cocktail offered as we filled in the check-in details. We were offered a dinner reservation but when we found out the only slot was after 9pm - we chose to stick with room service. Off to the top floor to find our room.

Unfortunately, as I expect is a frequent thing now at this hotel - there was a wedding party in full swing at around 16:00. On exiting the lifts on the top floor with our cases we were met with a large group of the wedding party who had spread out of their dining area into what is basically the hall ways. Took a few minutes of pushing by to get past all these people and to the door of our room. Somewhat frustrating.

On entering the room we were met with a very modern and well furnished suite. Nice large double-bed; Chez long and big bathroom with in-bath shower, and separate walk-in shower too. In the Living area and nice large sofa - another TV with Bose surround audio - a desk to work at and a walk-in wardrobe. All very nice. Although, cheesy as it might sound a chocolate on the pillow would have gone down really well at that point. Super views over the Airfield.

After unpacking we went to the Skybar for some cocktails. All nice and friendly, waiting staff were frequent and pleasant. Now used to having to wait a little bit for our drinks - we paced ourselves accordingly. The guy making all the drinks was solidly busy the whole 3 hours we were there and made me wonder if they had the correct ratio of servers vs. behind the bar staff.

Back to the room for dinner via room service. Noted that the bed had been 'turned-down' and candles lit in the room - nice touch ! Tried to call through 3 times - constantly engaged. called reception who got us through immediately - odd ! Food arrived as expected within the timeframe given. Was nice but not spectacular.

So - here is the downfall of our trip. Time for bed. The mattress was a disaster !!! It was extremely lumpy and was angled down at the edges - so you were always fighting not to roll out of bed! I was very tempted to sleep on the sofa in the living area. After a few hours of restless fighting - we discussed getting into the car and driving home - it was that bad !!! In total I slept 3 hours. I was exceedingly grumpily the following day and felt totally let down by such a highly marketed hotel.

What I cannot understand is how some hotels can get drawn into the competitiveness of who has the best service, the best food, best facilities and best looking hotels - when they forget the whole raison d'être of a hotel is actually being a place to sleep. It is its fundamental purpose in life. And its most important asset - is its the bed!!!

We complained when checking out, obviously, and resulted in a nice discount to our bill. This was very nice but unfortunately has not in anyway changed my opinion about every staying over night at the Aviator again. I had read through many of the lower ratings of this hotel and whilst I have not experienced many of the problems - I am not alone in finding the bed an unfriendly place to sleep.

I will continue to use the hotel for all its other assets.. and I particularly like its Deli (now called eleven-11) even though I find it weird that its not open at the weekend.

What will be most interesting is if the manager decides to review 'average' ratings on Trip Advisor - or just reads the worst ones. Be a very interesting take on how this place is managed !

Room Tip: Choose 'Airside' if you want great views of the Airport - to watch the Private jets coming a...
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Mr. Andy M

I would like to thank you for your Trip Advisor comments and do hope you've had a good Easter weekend. I'm the new Hotel Manager here at Aviator and take the quality of our guest experiences very seriously. I've looked into your comments and addressed the issues that you've noted and my Guest Service Team will follow up with you shortly.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you need any assistance.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Went to a Freinds wedding, we found the staff very friendly and helpful, rooms excellent and very big. Food up to banqueting standard, but food in restaurant looked top standard unfortunatly food at breakfast was cold, but quality was really good for continental, restaurant staff excellent.
We would recommend and look forward to our next visit

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear SherylD,

Thank you for taking the time and effort advising me of your positive experience at Aviator.
Here at Aviator we strive to deliver 100% guest satisfaction and should you choose to revisit our hotel feel free to contact me directly

London
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed for 1 night at this hotel, after our friends wedding reception in the venue. We personally did not encounter any rude staff; everyone was very helpful and welcoming.

On the whole our stay was really good. The hotel really is beautifully designed. The bar had a wonderful array of cocktails available, and the prices were on par with what you would pay in an equivalent bar.

There were a few very small areas which could be improved.

Being a weekend, there was a mad rush for the 11am check out. Consequently we had to wait close to 15 minutes to pay. They could have had additional staff on the reception at this time, or maybe an express check out option? There may have been one, but we were not advised of this?

The room was very comfortable, although the bed was on the small side for the size of the room. Just another small consideration, the safe was at the bottom of the wardrobe, so not easy to access, especially for anyone with a bad back, as my partner has.

We would like to return in the future, but next time to try the afternoon teas.

1 Thank Karl_n_Cas
Dear Karl_n_cas,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us as your observations are of paramount importance to Aviator. I trust that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future when perhaps we can meet personally.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have just spent our honeymoon weekend there and couldn't be more pleased. As you enter, the amazing entrance just blows you away. We checked in and enjoyed a complimentary cocktail. Our room, a Sky Suite, was amazing: very clean, very big, fabulous bathroom with power shower and bath, walk in wardrobe with a soft drinks bar and snacks (all very welcome). Then you open the blinds and see the airfield! It's just great and different seeing the planes land and takeoff, no real noise disturbance, it's not Gatwick! Walking around the hotel seeing the lighting, modern twists and arm chairs and sofas everywhere is a pleasure. I couldn't stop taking photos.
Breakfast was amazing, everything you could want, cooked or continental. Skybar was beautiful and for us the service was good -the bison punch cocktail was gorgeous but rather pricey!
Brasserie in the evening: a beautiful room and the food was good. Reading other reviews we must have been lucky because we couldn't fault the service.
So everything was perfect...... But the One Eleven restaurant was closed (it is over the weekend, but tell me where it says that anywhere on the website! Very disappointing as we were looking forward to going there, the pictures look great. And it does look good, we popped in before we left).
We loved every minute and might even go back for our first anniversary. Thank you Aviator for our perfect honeymoon.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing but the Sky Suites with airfield view is a treat.
Dear SarahWG2014,

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and appreciate our stylish interiors.

Guildford
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Amazing hotel.Check in was smooth.and easy.What lets hotel down is service on sky bar.Staff there got nothing to do with customer service I am affraid.Rude ,not attentive people.Thats a schame as place is really lovely.I will not go back there as felt really unwelcome and wouldnt want to "bother"bar staff again by asking them for drinks.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Guapissim
Dear Guilford,

Thank you very much for your comments and if it's possible I would like you to contact myself directly so I can speak with you in person. We've tried to locate any contact details but failed to do so. Please do contact myself directly so that we can discuss your feedback.

Have a lovely day and looking forward hearing back from you.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Attentive staff, cocktails are lovely. Wine is reasonably priced and cheaper than most pubs now. Huge selection of cocktails, which are quite pricey but probably not much more than chiquotos. A nice atmosphere as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jo3nne
Dear Jo3anne,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us at Aviator. We are currently working on a new "summer" cocktail menu and it would be great to share this with you. Let's hope that we have a stunning British summer 2014 to enjoy our new menu with.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Village Hotel Farnborough
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!