“Chic hotel but not so chic dining”
Review of Aviator Hotel

Aviator Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I booked this hotel through Secret Escapes as a last minute treat for my partner who loves planes and was celebrating his last college exam. I went online to try and book a table in the restaurant to find there were no spaces but wasn't bothered too much as it was a last minute booking and I knew the place had a bar area with food. I was called by the hotel to ask if I wanted to be put on the reserve list for a table in the restaurant which I thought was a lovely idea but said it was ok. I arrived at the hotel which is very nice from the outside and even nicer inside. The staff were very friendly and our room was lovely overlooking the runway. There was a bit of an issue with the hotels network system which meant we were left without wifi or TV in the room for a few hours. It wasn't a big issue to be fair.... My partner and I then went downstairs around 7pm to get some food in the bar to be told that there were no seats free and that we could either sit outside the bar in the seats placed throughout the hotel or order room service. We decided to sit in the seating area outside the bar and were told that someone would come take our order. We sat 20mins without anyone appearing so decided to go back to our room and order room service. I ordered a few things off the menu including mussels and got a call 5mins later to say that they'd run out so opted for pasta instead. The food arrived and tasted very nice but I would've liked it better in the bar with a drink. I noticed that there were people coming into the hotel that weren't residents heading to the bar and restaurant which isn't a problem but I do think the hotel could reserve some tables in the restaurant and bar specifically for their guests. I would definitely go back, not to stay but to maybe try the food in the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear NikNikScotland,

Thank you for your feedback.

I've spoken to the Bar Manager who has addressed the issues raised with the members of staff involved, please note that the "outside" area you referred to an extension to the Bar, hence Sky Bar and Lounge.

Due to the Brassiere's popularity we suggest that all of our guests booked minimum of 2 weeks from the day of dinning.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We took my mum here for her 60th birthday and we all really enjoyed it. The hotel is very design orientated, great looking rooms with views over the airfield, excellent bar and a very good restaurant with good food. I loved the look, feel and calmness of the place and I'll definitely be back for that experience. Only downside was that they got our bill wrong - something that always surprises me in a place which appears to be so organised - however they quickly rectified it once it was pointed out. Well worth a night away.

Dear Phillipkent

Thank you for taking the time to write to us as your observations are of paramount importance to Aviator. I trust that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future when perhaps we can meet personally.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at just how convenient the Aviator is to get to from London...a mere 35 mins on the train and then a 5 minute taxi ride. Once inside this futuristic building you really do feel like you are in a chic and edgy environment - from the funky cloud images in the lift to the aubergine & warm red colour scheme, and not forgotting the fabulous circular stairwell.
We were in a Skyline suite which was gorgeous - overlooking the airfield yet so silent. It was mega spacious with a lovely dressing room and huge bathroom.
We liked the bar - great cocktail list and well priced - good value. Dinner was in the Brasserie which was busy with a fun atmosphere. The food was locally sourced and well prepared - especially the steak cooked in the 'Josper' oven!
All in all, a great Friday night getaway after a busy week at work.

Room Tip: Book a skyline suite for a decadent amount of space and views over the airfield.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Londonhotelchick

I would like to thank you for your positive comments. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us at Aviator.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you decide to return in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great hotel on the edge of Farnborough airport, looks like an office building from the outside and easy to drive by and miss. BUT park and get inside and you are tansported to a hotel that is built for luxury. Great restaurant, fab cocktails, the best hotel breakfast l have eaten, salmon, local produce, sausage, bacon etc, great fruit and yogurts selection, something for everyone. The hotel staff have all definitely been to "charm school" as they cannot be more friendly and helpful. The restaurant menu and a la carte was superb. There is also another bar for snacks so something for everyone. The rooms are well presented, a comfortable bed, slippers, robes, a great contemporary bathroom although the standard rooms do not have baths they do have a "sharing" shower. Tea and cafetiere is also provided along with the full package on TV i Sky and free WIFI. The rooms have a good lay out and we could not hear noise from the airfield or along corridors at night when people returned to their rooms. A superb well thought out hotel for that little bit of luxury.

Room Tip: standard rooms do not have baths only showers, only four floors had a quiet night on third, fourth f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Mauritius45

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights for a work conference and it was great.

Staff was very accommodating to all our needs and the hotel is a relaxing place to stay.

There were a number of different dietary requirements in our party that the hotel was able to help with.

The rooms are nice and I loved that the movies were free. I got to catch up on a blockbuster I missed!

Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear mo770,

Looking forward welcoming you back and wish you an enjoyable weekend.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have just returned from our son and daughter-in-laws wedding at the Aviator.Despite one or two small hiccups I have nothing but praise for the hotel.The wedding was organised really well and the whole day ran very smoothly,the rooms for the service and the meal were nicely done as was the area for the reception.All the staff that we dealt with were really smart and very helpful and polite.The only down points that we had were the lack of ordinary tea bags in the room and a slight mix up with the meal on the night before the wedding.The plus points were the overall cleanliness of the whole hotel and the rooms which were really well equipped and spacious.We would definitely stay again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If you wish to view the aircraft at Farnborough Airport choose an airside room on a high floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jan and Allan F

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We got a good deal through the secret escapes website.
The hotel was lovely and staff really helpful.
There were a few downsides-
the brasserie was fully, booked, not a problem i thought - we will eat in the one eleven restaurant, wrong!!, when we got there we were informed that the one eleven was actually not open and our only to option eat in the hotel was a rather limited menu in the skybar or room service,...in the booking process this was not something we were ever made aware of.....so we were forced to go out for dinner.

we popped into the skybar for a few drinks when we returned after dinner, bar staff were very friendly - especially one gentlemen - i think he may have been the manager - or certainly seemed in charge, he was nice to chat to and made sure we were comfortable where we sat and and made us feel as though nothing was too much trouble.

rooms are very clean and very nice- would have been nice to have an airside room (this is something we should have requested), the fact you have complimentary films and music is also a nice touch, couldnt work out why there was only one pair of slippers and one robe in a double room ? strange but not a massive issue. water and hot drinks in the room were very nice with a couple of biscuits each too.

Breakfast in the morning was reasonable, it wasnt too busy considering there was a wedding party staying overnight....the options for hot breakfast were a little limited, and kept running out - think i waited around 20 minutes for sausages to be brought out... but what there was was nice.

overall though it was a very nice stay - not sure i would pay the full normal amount but i would go there again through external specials like secret escapes.

Room Tip: request an airside room for a view or non airside for a bit more peace and quiet

Dear Neil M

We are delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and we're looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!