“More than I expected - Perfect service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aviator Hotel

Aviator Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Farnborough
Fareham, United Kingdom
“More than I expected - Perfect service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

While visiting family in the local area, my wife and I decided to go to the Aviator for dinner. when we arrived we were told the Brassiere was fully booked and was recommended the One Eleven which appeared to be busier than the Brasserie. The young lady noticed us as soon as we walked in and acknowledged us although she was serving another table. They quickly cleared and set a table for us and asked for our drinks order which they offered to go to sky bar to collect cocktails. we were told there may be a wait on the cocktails so we ordered with a new member of staff while the other waitress dealt with the many other tables and soon returned with our drinks. after our amazing meal where you basically choose everything you want (make your own pizza) the restaurant had quietened down so we had a chat with the two girls only to find out that it was one of their first days so she was being trained by the other waitress...on one of their busiest days! even so, the staff were excellent and dealt with everything in a perfect way. Tamara - Keep doing what your doing... its great! Grace - good luck with your future at the Aviator! I'm sure you'll be fine with Tamara to guide you.
Dined Tuesday 24th June

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear David M,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and we're looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Have a great weekend.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Polish first
Hook, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have stayed at The Aviator twice now and eaten there 3 times and up until last night have never been disappointed. Because of this, I decided to book my special birthday dinner there and to treat 5 of my friends.

Service on arrival and in the Sky Bar was good. However, I was SO disappointed with the food in The Brasserie. Service was ok, if a little slow. The first bottle of wine had to be sent back as it had not been sufficiently chilled. If that has been the only complaint then I would not be writing this.

The starters arrived on warm plates with barely warm food. The mains arrived on luke warm plates and the food was quite frankly cold. The vegetables arrived in small metal dishes and the food was stone cold. It is not pleasant attempting to eat cold mash potatoes/broccoli/beans with cold butter. Most of this was returned untouched. I had guests with me and was so embarrassed about this that I went and spoke quietly to the head waiter. He apologised and said he would mention it to chef. That was that! No feedback before I left, no reduced bill, nobody coming to speak to me, nothing, absolutely nothing. This was a very special occasion for me and was quite frankly, ruined.

I had always rated The Aviator as a good place to go but after last night's experience I shall think twice, if at all about going back. Please get your act together soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lesley B
Dear Lesley B,

Thanks for your feedback. I will be sure to look into this with my Food and Beverage Manager who is working closely with his Team to get them through the new transitional period that we are going through at this time.

I very much hope you will give us this opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and looking forward welcoming you in the near future.

I wish you a sunny weekend.

Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Myself and a friend went to this hotel for a birthday treat after being highly recommended for the sky cocktail bar. The service when we arrived was great and we were seated and drinks bought over straight away, the cocktails were lovely and staff really polite and attentive. Unfortunately when we went down to the restaurant I was disappointed. It took 20 mins for our wine to arrive and we had to ask twice. Our food was not what it was cold so not enjoyable, the dish I had chosen was chicken with a garlic butter but no garlic butter came til 10 mins later. We ordered a side of onion rings and the batter was raw and my friends steak was also cold. We asked about what kind of cheeses were on the cheese board and were just told umm cheddar I think. The setting and hotel was beautiful but I can't help but be left disappointed, this was a real treat and overpriced for the experience we received and not up to my expectations!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Charlie 170689,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review and apologies for my delayed response. Over the past few months we've spend a lot of time training our employees to ensure that the service they provide to our guests is always of the highest standards.

I apologise for the poor experience you've faced during your previous visits however I'm very excited to the new and improve journey ahead.

Looking forward seeing you back soon.

San Luis Obispo, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Aviator was a lovely facility. The room was comfortable, the architecture was interesting, and the service was top-notch. The breakfast buffet was extensive and tasty. However, the hallways are very dark and the motion sensing lights sometimes don't switch on promptly. And the rooms have very low wattage bulbs so the room never feels very bright. I'm sure it's both a design choice and an environmental consideration to keep the light so low, but come on--I'd like to be able to read the room numbers on the doors.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ThomasAquinas
Dear ThomasAquinas,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us as your observations are of paramount importance to Aviator. I trust that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future when perhaps we can meet personally.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Id found this Hotel online about a month ago, but the prices were out of our league, but was lucky enough to get a deal on this occasion. Even though I had seen all the photos online, as we approached the Hotel, it really is something. I love architecture, old and new and this is striking. Fantastic clean lines. Great car parking and plenty of disabled parking, two of my party are disabled.
Although the Hotel doesnt advertise specially "accessible" rooms, the bathroom facilities with walk in showers and handrails and large rooms made this totally suitable for my companions.
Staff were extremely friendly and helpful on our arrival. Our rooms, we chose the next up from standard, to ensure views of the airfield, were beautifully appointed, very stylish and just an understated luxuriousness to them, beige leather finish to a desk and seat, how unusual.
The view over the airfield is very interesting, big picture windows, lovely blinds and very efficient sound proofing, you dont easily hear the planes landing and taking off.

Our budget didnt allow for us to dine at the Hotel but we enjoyed a drink in the bar as we arrived. I looked into the dining room and it looks gorgeous,

The public area design is as the photos all show, architecturally beautiful. One of the loveliest hotels I have stayed in...shame I have to share the secret. I hope very much to return.

Room Tip: I think you have to upgrade to guarantee a room with a view of the airfield.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
AviatorbyTAG, Manager at Aviator Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear GailT

Thank you for your comments. We have some fantastic talents and I'm very proud of them. I'm looking forward to employ the very best and work with them together over the next phase of Aviators journey.
We are looking forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Fareham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

After having stayed and eaten here on several occasions over the past few years we decided to treat my father in law to a night here and lunch for Father's Day.

The hotel was of its usual high standard and the room lovely. However when it came to lunch although I had booked a table and they were expecting us, they did not have a table laid up for us. After being seated we ordered and though the starter was edible the soup was barely warm and the asparagus stone cold, as was the egg! Moving on to the main course all 7 of us ordered roast dinner.. It was cold, we sent it back, it came back.. Cold. Ok so we thought we would try a third and final time and on the final occasion.. The meat was cold, the carrots cold, the Yorkshire pudding cold.. Bizarrely the potatoes, beans and gravy hot.. Oh and the plate!

The restaurant manager waited to see how we thought the food was on the final attempt informing us he had himself tested the carrots and was so hot he could barely bite into it, not sure where those carrots were because I would have really liked to have some of those!

He did not believe us when we told him our carrots were cold until we let him try the ones on our plate!

Very very disappointed and after such a fantastic meal last night at a restaurant nearby I will not be coming back!!!! Terrible!

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Elliott B
Dear ElliottB

I've looked into your review and have spoken to the Food and Beverage Manager who was on duty that evening.

He advise me that he tried to rectify your poor experience on the evening several times before offering you a 50% discount off the total of your bill. We are working hard to ensure all our guests receive the highest level of service. However we admit sometimes we might not always get it right in which case as in your experience we've tried to resolve it on the night.

We hope to have many of these issues improved over the coming months and hope to welcome you back soon so that we can demonstrate our improvements.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Had a business lunch in the ground floor restaurant followed by drinks in the sky bar.
The lunch was not bad with good service although the menu was not very adventurous and is really glam pub food.
The sky bar is not what you would expect at all. But the description is in the name .... All you can see from the seating is indeed the sky ! .... Considering the airfield and the whole opportunity of a fairly unique view the "guest" sees none of it as the chairs are so low throughout and the widows frosted to above head height.... Service was slow considering there was only two tables and the young waiter consistently spoke VERY loudly through his walkie-talkie ear piece which ruins any kind of ambience they are trying to create. When I asked for the bill they couldn't wait to get to our table with the credit card machine within seconds after before I had even looked at it.
All in all an ok dining experience let down by a lack of hospitality in the bar and the complete lack of view.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Happy Traveller3004

I would like to thank you for your comments. We recognise that service has been challenging over the past few months however I can assure you that we've spend a lot of time training our employees and this will be on going. We are fully aware we won't be able to change service overnight but we are definitely working hard to improve all our Food and Beverage outlets.

Have a good week and hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Village Hotel Farnborough
Holiday Inn Farnborough
Holiday Inn Farnborough
#6 of 8 in Farnborough
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Aviator Hotel? Share your experiences!