“Not bad...”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not bad...”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I usually stay at the aviator, which is more expensive. Now this place is pretty good, not as plush as next door as it were, but actually pretty good. Restaurant not bad, the gym excellent. For a gym attached to a hotel I'd say really very good. The bar was lively more pub like, which can be nice. The staff were good, but a bit rushed off. I'd recommend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have used this hotel a couple of times. It looks nice and it's a pleasant place to be, but and it's a very big but, the staff are rude and not very helpful. As I am disabled it is difficult to get a disabled parking space as it is normally full of able bodied people. The staff do not help, and they are not interested in helping. One staff member said "what do you want me to do about it?" I said "Enforce the disabled bays." she replied "Yeah right like that's going to happen."
The staff were not interested in helping, but were keen to take the money.
I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances, there are far better locally at a much better price.
Some might like the location near the Airport but it does make it noisy during the airport operating times.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mrtafft

Travellers are raving about these Farnborough hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I checked in quite late at night 10.10pm and asked what time the restaurant was open until. I was informed that it closed at 10pm so asked if I could order room service but was told there was no room service. The restaurant manager was very helpful and apologised and said that they couldnt arrange anything hot but I could have a salad. I wasnt that hungry so that was fine. They delivered it very quickly to my room. Now, my room! I requested ahead of the booking if I could be put in a quiet part of the hotel away from lifts and stairwells, also on the upper deck which have posturepedic beds which are excellent for my back problems and away from any smoking floors if they have them. When I arrived at my room firstly you came out of the lift and my room was the first room as you came through the main doors by the lifts. As it was this wasnt really a problem and it wasnt too noisy. Secondly, when I went into the room it smelt really badly of stale cigarette smoke. I opened the window but the smell wasnt getting any better. I had a shower and sprayed some pillow spray and that helped for a bit but the smell kept coming back!. I rang down to reception to see if I could be moved but was told there were no more rooms available on Upper Deck and I could move to a standard room. So had to choose whether my back or my lungs were more important so I chose to stay! I had a completely sleepless night. I did complain the following morning and the staff were extremely helpful in particular the duty manager and Sarah on reception. They told me that they would give me another room that day which they did. The room was much better and I have to say I had a fantastic nights sleep. The beds on the Upper Deck are amazingly comfortable and very large! You have the benefit on the Upper Deck of having sky movies etc. The rooms are very modern with lovely coffee and tea making facilities. Ive stayed at the Village in Elstree before and the rooms are exactly the same. I have not stayed in standard rooms so can't comment on those. For me its all about the comfort of the bed and sleep quality and I have to say the second night I got that. I didnt eat in the restaurant in the evening as went into London and reception were very helpful in printing off the times for trains into London and also tube times. Staff were very helpful and friendly. It is a non smoking Hotel and the Hotel said that they do fine people who smoke at the Hotel but this is difficult once they have checked out I think. Anyway, all in all the start of my two days wasnt great but they Hotel were very accommodating and made it good. Would I stay there again? Yes I would!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the Hotel and definitely go for an Upper Deck room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
berkshire
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Visited the Village for lunch with friends on 7th November and ended up with a £100 car park fee. It was my regular meeting venue with friends but it wont be any more.

The car park has very recently been taken over CPM UK Car Park Management who's responsibility is to rip people off if they park don't park in the marked bays. This hotel is known for cars to be parked in unmarked bays as the car park is always full at certain times of the day i.e.lunch time, so it was no surprise to find many other cars parked in this way.

There was a small sign outside the entrance to the hotel but it was blocked by 'smokers' so I was unable to read it. I realised when leaving that this sign had been moved to inside the entrance and it was to advised their customers that they accept no responsibility to the changes in the car park.
Just a clear notice to say 'YOU HAVE PARKED YOUR CAR ON PRIVATELY PROPERTY AND PARKING RESTRICTION ARE NOW ENFORCED, SEE NOTICES IN THE CAR PARK' would have been so much clearer.

So much for customer care. The website says 'the great facilities at our Farnborough hotel are sure to make you feel at home'
Yea Right! I shall no longer be using these facilities. Nor will I recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mary696
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed here recently for two nights for wedding anniversary. Was impressed with hotel on check in and loved the rooms. Nice dark furniture and Venetian blinds, walk in shower and comfy bed with flat screen tv. Found out air con did not work after unpacking everything which was a pain, especially as maintenance were already aware of the problem! Changed rooms and then the lights didn't work properly in the next room. Bulbs were quickly replaced and then worked but did start to smoke towards end of stay.

Pool nice and hot tub, sauna and steam room. Bar didn't have enough bar staff but good selection drinks and food. Food very nice and good value from bar. Also dined in restaurant which I couldn't fault, brilliant service and food. Had the set menu which was good value although choice limited. Breakfast good and all you can eat. Except tea was cheap tasting.

Overall good stay and would return. Had a good atmosphere, nice rooms, was clean and tidy, good service. Not much to do in surrounding area but we didn't want to venture out much anyway - enough to do in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bognor Regis
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have mixed opinion of my stay. I stayed2 nights for a leisure break. The first impression was great. Great looking modern hotel. Fab room ( dim lighting) massive bed and really comfortable. Reception staff great. Friendly. Knowledgable and welcoming.

The room was more form over function. Could only plug the kettle in under the wall lights steam went into the electrics. The shower screen didn't reach the bath causing water all over the bathroom floor. And the room was massively noisy! I jumped every time someone along the corridor shut their door. They really need to invest In soft closing doors. I also enjoyed listening to the guy next door showering for8 minutes both mornings.the bedroom turned into a water feature with the noise of the running water.

Breakfast was a bunfight.completely chaotic.no room numbers were recorded and because it's relatively cheap lots of locals eat breakfast here. ( or free for locals as they aren't asked for room numbers) had to queue both mornings. Unable to use the toaster that only toasted one side and caused huge queues. Table not set and was handed a mug with knife, fork and spoon in it! Proper self service I guess.

Spa spotlessly clean. Pool fabulous. Unfortunately very un relaxing as the spa police make you get out of the jacquzi every 6 minutes when the bubbles stop. A maximum time is allowed (15 minutes)
The room wasn't cleaned until 3 o'clock which was the only time that we occupied the room. This seemed to upset the domestic when I asked her to give us five minutes to get our stuff together.

Would I stay again? Only if it was really cheap.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Israel
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at the Village hotel. The hotel is pleasantly decorated and the standard room I was good and well appointed. The only thing it was lacking was more lighting.
Breakfast was good and the service by staff excellent.

Recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Aviator Hotel
Premier Inn Farnborough West (Southwood) Hotel
Travelodge Farnborough Central
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Village Hotel Farnborough? Share your experiences!