“Please try this hotel”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Please try this hotel”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked a day out at the hotel via Travelzoo so we didn't actually stay overnight, however we will at somepoint as it was marvellous.

We paid £49 for the day for 4 people, that included lunch and use of all health spa, gym, pool etc. Excellent value.

Arrived and no trouble with Travelzoo voucher, straight in the lovely pool.
Lovely steam room and sauna and huge gym area with loads of facilities.
Staff were really nice and friendly and very helpful.

Lunch was served in the Victory Chop Ale restaurant, good service and good food, nothing was too much trouble for the staff in the restaurant.

They also have a really 'pub' like bar area, so much nicer that most hotels and a pool table.
Had a nice drink and a game of pool.

If i had to pushed to say something negative it would be how slippery the floors are in the changing rooms and swimming pool area when wet, if you have young children take extra care, we saw several go over. The staff were obviously aware of the problem and spent lots of time mopping up, which was also good to see. ( i.e the direct action taken by them).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DeeSmith610

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week while at meeting in London. Overall it was pretty good, rooms are functional , one small issue no safe.
I stayed near the stairwell in level 1 , was concerned as lift was not working but it was not that noisy.
Staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast is OK, ate in the restaurant twice for dinner and food was good.
There is a Starbucks in the hotel for those who like it.
The Fitness centre is very impressive , one of the biggest I have been at in a hotel, however I think it is a separate business.
fitness centre was free with the room.
Not much around the hotel as it's in a Commercial park, there is a 24 hour supermarket nearby and local shopping mall which is OK.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Although part of the De Vere 'chain', this hotel seems like a cheaper, slightly trimmed down version of the Aviator hotel a short distance away. The rooms are small but functional with a comfortable bed. The shower room is cold - no heated towel rail or underfloor heating. Expect to step out of the pleasant rain shower and feel the chill as hypothermia sets in.

Like the breakfast warming under the heat lamps, the restaurant staff seem to lack warmth....not to mention basic hygiene skills.

Disappointing. I really wanted to enjoy my stay here but, sadly, didn't.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

we stayed here due to no electricity at the house for a few days and booked a good rate on laterooms. We had a family room with 2 small children and whilst compact it was very comfortable and clean. we took advantage of everything the hotel had to offer and it wasn't found lacking in any way.
recommended

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here quite a few times when away on business with a farnborough based supplier... Always my first choice ..
Good points: rooms modern comfy and relaxing good choice of beers in bar and facilities are great oh and buffet breakfast is on the better side of some you get

Bad points : small car park for the volume of people using hotel for various reasons... Bar is under staffed ... Food prices extortionate and room costs are on the higher side for the area..

Overall a great place to stay and will remain my first choice whilst the level of service I receive continues

Hindhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I have previously been to a Christmas Party night here so decided to book again, oh how disappointed I was. NEVER AGAIN!
From the beginning, booking rooms were difficult with no communication from the hotel to the main central booking team allowing us to book Christmas rate rooms at £59. This took several calls to sort.
Standards have dropped dramatically, although the rooms appear to be nice on the surface they are dark and dirty in the corners.
Trying not to be completely negative the one good thing is the gym, large, clean and tidy.
Moving on to the party night, this was shocking. Several Ale's ran out before the night began about 7pm. Guests were packed in like sardines with little room to move around. There was a delay in serving food with nearly 2 hours between courses. When main courses finally arrived it was dry, burn't and cold. The puddings then didn't come out until 11pm, leaving most people disinterested as the DJ had already started.
Complaints were made on the night, with support of many other guests only to be told they were short staffed. We paid £41 to enjoy ourselves but this was strongly over shadowed by poor service and low standard of food.
The evening finished at 1am and were swiftly moved out by over powering 'security guards', i mean really we're in a hotel not a high street night club. A little too much if you ask me!
As paying guests at the hotel we moved through to the reception bar, as staying guests we're entitled to do, only to be told that it was closed due to staffing and that no guests being in there at 1am so they closed... how could we be in there when there was a christmas party until 1am in the opposite room!?
Come the morning we had to queue for breakfast and when finally sat we were shown to a table which was not fully laid and had to prompt staff to be served Tea. Staff appeared not to be able to complete anything to a high standard as they seemed again under staffed.
Several complaints were made to the hotel & a further complaint made to higher management however this has not been resolved. It appears it was run by inexperienced staff who could not cope with the numbers they had booked for.
You will be left disappointed if you book a 2014 party!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maddy911

Travellers are raving about these Farnborough hotels

uk
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I find this hotel to be very overpriced and to have many problems over an extended period of time.

The first time I stayed there last year I was first given a room key and upon entering the room found a couple in bed much to their surprise.I went down and complained and was given a second room, only to find it occupied too. They finally told me they had some problem and were overbooked and sent me to The Aviator Hotel down the road. I decided to let that go.

This time I stayed I was equally unimpressed and very much wished I had been sent to the Aviator again!

To be fair...the hotel has great gym/pool facilities and is well located for the airport and ten minutes walk from central Farnborough. Although doing so would necessitate crossing a couple of busy roads.

This stay - I checked in without issue and was pleased to find my room was not occupied when I got there! However, after popping downstairs to join a colleague for a drink I returned to the room to find my key no longer worked. I went to reception and explained the problem, was given another which also didn't work. Third time the receptionist accompanied me explaining that the door had been worked on that day so much be operational. However, he also found it did not work. After some time and many, many attempts we managed to open it. However it was clearly faulty and left me afraid to leave the room in case I was locked out again. For this reason I had to choose between skipping breakfast or taking all my things down to avoid them being stuck in the room...which since I was flying out was not an option. So I had no breakfast.

Inside the room I attempted to iron my shirt....found that the iron was filthy and left brown streaks down my work shirt. I asked for a replacement iron....after 30 minutes I was given another which when plugged in began pouring out smoke requiring me to unplug it and open all the windows due to the thick acrid smoke. I called down again and was told they had no more irons. They collected the smoking iron but opted to leave the one leaving brown stains in the room for the next guest which was nice of them. However, to be fair they did accept my shirt for pressing and did it themselves returning it within hours which was a relief.

The bed was just acceptable...However the pillows were amongst the worst I have ever experienced in any hotel. Hard/uncomfortable and made it difficult to sleep.

I awoke to the awful smell of cigarette smoke...I'm not sure the source? The air conditioning system? Or it drifted in under the door?

After attempting to heat the room using the air conditioner following airing it (after the iron smoke event!) I found it to be highly ineffective and did not put out any noticeable heat.

In the bathroom there were no soap/shampoo/conditioner provided. Only the basic wall dispenser for soap...which was empty. Beautiful!

The toilet seat was stained yellow, presumably with urine. See attached pictures.

In reception I tried to print a document, since they don't have any business facilities to be told they charge 25 pence per sheet so I abandoned that plan.

The internet in the room was terrible....very, very slow and kept dropping signal.

Furthermore I got terrible network coverage in the hotel for my mobile phone (O2 network) which is odd because everywhere else in Farnborough area it works great.

Overall a bad stay. I could not recommend it.

Room Tip: Go to The Aviator.