“Quality contemporary budget hotel”

Village Hotel Farnborough
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Quality contemporary budget hotel”
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Having looked at the much more expensive Premier Inn, I was very impressed with the Village:

Check-in: quick and friendly although no real information was given

Room: very modern, snazzy/smart and practical. Large wetroom with rain shower and basic toiletries. Huge very comfortable bed, large LCD tv on the wall, nice furnishings and effective air-conditioning. Plenty of discreet lighting so you can have the room as moody as you like.

Location: 5mins walk from the town centre, 15mins from the main station. Plenty of parking

Food: excellent breakfast - large quality hot food selection, pastries, cereals and breads. All well cooked and hot at 6.30. Good room service menu. Also a starbucks in the foyer.

Overall: very smart hotel which would firmly deserve a four-star rating. The only minor downsides were the lack on information anywhere (breakfast, facilities such as gym and pool) and the slightly inexperienced staff (all friendly and got the job done but all very young and seemingly inexperienced)

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank kiangarin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
NL
Reviewed 13 December 2010

As part of the atmosphere presumambly, the hotel is very dimly lit, almost pitch dark, for example, you literally need a flashlight to read the temperature control in the room.

Staff appears to be overworked, untrained and unmotivated (same staff late at night in the bar and early morning at breakfast, complaining to the guests that they are looking for another job) .

The high speed internet slows down to a snail speed internet in the evening.

Stayed there for 2 weeks, so this is not based on just 1 bad day.

Next time, I'll probably try "The Aviator" a few miles down the road

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank noixrouge
stoke-on-trent
Reviewed 7 December 2010

we stayed here for 2 nights while visiting relatives, and had a great time. The pool is a good size, decent temperature, with a massive whirlpool, and the gym was pretty impressive too. My children loved the free WiFi in the rooms. I would have liked to be able to book some movies on the TV, we only had channels 1-5. The rooms are very modern, nice and clean, decent bathrooms. I was a bit concerned about breakfast after looking at some previous reviews, but it was good. There were functions on in the hotel both nights we were there, but we went straight in to breakfast without waiting both days, despite going down at different times each day. There was a good selection available, and while it wouldn't have burnt your mouth, it was certainly hot. The options for Food/Drink are good, the children used the starbucks for hot chocolate and cookies at bedtime! The staff were all polite and helpful. Overall, for what we paid it was good.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Stayed at the Village for 3 nights on a business trip. The rooms are small, as customary in the UK, but their design is exceptional and attractive. The bathroom has high quality fixtures including the glass-lined shower area.

I especially enjoyed the Hotel's restaurant. Typically, i don't enjoy the food served in the UK. I had a different fish dish every night and each was exceptional. The service in the restaurant was awesome. Michael Sheldon, the Food Manager, provided outstanding service. He even arranged for me to see a Monday Night Football game in their lounge on ESPN at 3 a.m. UK time.

The Front Desk staff is young and inexperienced, but congenial. Overall, I highly recommend the Village Farnborough

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Oslo
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Nice people, nice place, good food, but extremely slow (or non-existing) service in the pub and restaurant

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank neu242
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2010

This hotel was recomended to me by some friends, who are regulars.It only half hour on the train to London.
Arrived in time for dinner. Food so good. Children made very welcome.
The rooms were spotless and Beds so comfortable, you can buy them!
We used the leisure facilities after Breakfast. I wish i lived closer i would join this gym. Top notch equipment good staff..
Quality Hotel Well Run A real Gem

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I used to be quite a snob when it came to holidays and hotels. I'd only venture into the sordid world of the chain 3* if it was necessary to break-up a lengthy drive en-route to a far-flung trusty 5*. This mentality has seen me get burned on more than one occasion, in my pre tripadvisor days. I shan't go into my praise for this website (we've all had the revelation), I'll stick to the task at hand.

I detest Holiday Inn, Premier Inn, Ibis, and the other chains (which I've tried to erase from memory) which litter our service stations and city centres. They promise budget prices while maintaining a general quality, a promise that is often broken. I was faced with the choice this past weekend between a very impressive looking and highly-rated Aviator Hotel in Farnborough, and the various other establishments which surround it.

A colleague, who lives locally, recommended the Village, which I promptly discovered to be a chain. The website, hotel façade, logo, and location all confirmed my fears. The name especially put me off. The word 'village' brings to mind something very different from the ugly, in-your-face, corporateness of this hotel. But I persevered, found a price for a single night including breakfast, and realised just how big a saving I'd be making over the Aviator. The purpose of our stay was to visit my girlfriend's sister. Due to give birth at any moment. Therefore, we just wanted a base for the night.

Our expectations were surpassed from the moment we entered the Village. The staff were very friendly, the hotel seemed a lively place with many guests relaxing in communal areas, and the décor didn't appear too harsh. Our room was a real surprise. No real view to mention (but to be expected on an industrial estate) but there wasn't any hint of noise, from roads, the air, or other buildings. The décor was bold but it was clear that someone had take pride in picking carpets and furniture. The cleanliness was evident throughout the room and bathroom.

Breakfast was fine. Nothing spectacular, and the Victory Pub was reasonable, lively, and well staffed.

I started writing this review expecting to list many benefits of staying at the Village but I'm all done! I guess the most impressive thing I found about this stay (and I imagine regular future stays to visit family) was that I found no negatives. The hotel competes in a class which easily exceeds it's price range.

I intend to stay at the Village Farnborough for the coming couple of weekends and over the Christmas period (when there is an even cheaper rate), and will be trying the Village at London Elstree in October.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone on business, on a budget, who's visit isn't all about relaxing in a hotel but will most likely us the hotel just as a base.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Aviator Hotel
Falcon Hotel
Falcon Hotel
#7 of 7 in Farnborough
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Village Hotel Farnborough? Share your experiences!