“Handy for the air museum”
Review of Falcon Hotel

Falcon Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
doncaster
“Handy for the air museum”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Stayed one night on a Saturday night.
I think it cost us 39 pounds for one night including breakfast for us both which isn't bad value. The room was a budget room which was functional and clean.
The mattress had seen better days but thanks to the bar we had a good nights sleep!
The bar was excellent and well stocked however we did finish off the cointreu.
Breakfast was ok but there was not much left which Im not complaining about as we did stubble out for breakfast at 1010am.
Overall this is a good friendly little hotel that I would be happy to stay at again.

Room Tip: go for a deluxe room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
spl_publicrelations, Public Relations Manager at Falcon Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Hi there! I appreciate your comments. All our standard rooms are being converted to deluxe rooms as per our on-going refurbishments. I hope you visit us again and try those rooms! We'll try and stock more Cointreau for you too! :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

What did I like? Price. Standard room late deal £29 per night including breakfast. Free parking, although it did get full on Saturday night. Good cooked breakfast.

What didn't I like? Standard room was tired in terms of decor and furnishing. A hair on pillow when I first checked in. Bathroom could have been a bit cleaner but was acceptable for short stay and price. Poor choice of TV channels and tiny TV. They need to press ahead with converting all the rooms to Deluxe, as the website promises this would be completed by July 2010. There was no sign of any refurbishment work going on when I was there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Hi! I just wanted to thank you for your comments. Our refurbishment work has been slowed down, but is continuing--the work should be done in the early part of next year. I hope you visit us again soon! Cheers!
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I had heard mixed reviews from colleagues who had stayed at the Falcon, but checking the TripAdviser reviews it looked like the majority were positive so decided to give it a try.

I selected one of the newly-refurbished rooms which I would definitely recommend over a non-refurbished one, from the comments I heard at breakfast and the previous reviewer's experience. The room was a nice size, although not over-large (but how much space do you need when you are only sleeping there), and had a very nice king-size bed. The only down-side was that there weren't enough covers, but reception were very happy to help and provided an extra blanket. The radiator in the room was quite powerful and easily turn off- and on-able.

The bathroom was clean and well-appointed, and there were no problems with the shower or hot water (the information book explains about the hotel's plumbing).

Breakfast was very good, although the service on the first morning was a bit slow. The food was very good. It came as a surprise that they didn't serve Earl Grey tea, given that the menu said a selection of teas was available, but that was a minor niggle.

Being familiar with Farnborough's airfield the planes weren't an issue, and didn't land and take off through the night - I think the last plane I noticed was at about 8pm, and in the morning I don't remember hearing anything before breakfast.

I didn't use the restaurant because they opened too late for me, and weren't open on the Sunday night. On the one night I did try to eat in the restaurant they were fully booked, and couldn't even provide room service for an hour or so.

I would stay here again but would definitely select a refurbished room to guarantee a comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Hello. I just wanted to let you know that we appreciate your comments. I'm surprised to hear that you weren't served Early Grey tea, as we have a lovely Organic Earl Grey from The Mighty Leaf Tea Company; I will have to follow-up with the staff at this hotel. I hope you visit us again soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2011

My wife and I decided to get away for our first valentines since getting married. As I had left things for the last minute (as usual) I couldn't get a table at some of our regular restaurants so decided to travel a short distance outside of London to "get out of London" if only for 24 hours. The Falcon was recommended in the Michelin guide in 2007, so figured it would still be a safe bet. We arrived to the hotel which was "conveniently" located in the flight path with planes landing almost on top of the hotel. Once there we were given a room which can only be described as something from a Mr Bean episode, apart from being the smallest room I have ever stayed in (literally my office in London is bigger) the heating would not turn off which is probably due to the fact that the windows would not close - not only letting air out but letting noise in (cue airplanes landing and the busy farnborough road). As a result of this interesting heating/cooling effect we couldn't regulate our room temperature. In addition our lovely brown counterpane had white marks all over it and the shower head was held on by a single screw, which meant the shower head faced downwards towards the wall unless you held it in position towards your body. In short that room had not seen a maintenance person in months. I'm not certain if we were just given the worst room in the hotel, however judging by the emptiness of the hotel, I would assume its just doesn't get repeat business - which is a pity, as the hotel has excellent potential. My wife and I went to the Landings Restaurant in the hotel which had received excellent reviews and unfortunately it too was rather disappointing, the menu was uninspiring and dull. Following our meal we retired to bed and discovered that the brown counterpane with white marks was the least of our worries, the bed was possibly the most uncomfortable sleeping experience ever. We considered leaving the hotel at around midnight, but stuck around for breakfast - which was very good (and included in the price). All this being said, I really enjoyed the valentine break, however we will not be rushing back anytime soon.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Hello. It's terrible to hear that you had such a horrible time. We are in the process of finishing refurbishments to all our rooms and our records show you were allocated an older room, which was in the queue for refurbishments. Our restaurant is top rated on TopTable in all of Hampshire and we pride ourself on using fresh ingredients; I'm sorry you did not feel the menu was up to your standard. I hope you can visit in the future to see the many changes we are making to the hotel.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2010

The hotel was easy to find and check in staff were friendly, the rooms that have been redecorated are lovely, modern and clean (although my room was very hot). Food in the hotel was nice but pricey (went to the Ship Inn down the road - lovely food and good value with fantastic staff). Overall the Falcon Hotel was really nice even though the odd plane did rumble overhead (right next to the airfield) it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Thanks for your nice comments!
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Have stayed a couple of times,
Hotel is ok but a bit pricey for what it is. I had a complaint about the last stay and when I spoke to them about it they were very surly.

• Stayed January 2010
spl_publicrelations, Public Relations Manager at Falcon Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2010
Thank you for your comments. I wish you would have provided additional details regarding your complaint so it could have been addressed in this response. Our team members are not trained to deal directly with complaints, and it is advisable to contact a manager or provide a written complaint, either by email or post, as advised in the bedroom information books. We hope you do try us again in the near future, and be sure to ask for an upgrade to a Deluxe bedroom!
Newark
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I had a problem with my booking. I sent 4 emails all of which were unacknowledged. Only the 5th sent to the same address as all the others - where I mentioned Tripadvisor - elicited a response which was dismissive and had no hint of an apology for the lack of a reply.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
This customer had booked a *non-refundable* special-rate reservation in the wrong city and demanded a full refund and then blackmailed us after we had explained to her many times that we can not refund a pre-paid non-refundable booking, by stating that she would post a negative review on Tripadvisor. We had offered for her to transfer the reservation, but this was not sufficient for her needs.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Holiday Inn Farnborough
#5 of 7 in Farnborough
Premier Inn Farnborough West (Southwood) Hotel
Travelodge Farnborough Central
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Falcon Hotel? Share your experiences!