“Close, but not quite”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
farnborough
“Close, but not quite”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I'll start with the good, of which there is plenty: 1pm is an unusually early check-in in my experience and was really useful on this occasion. The room I was allocated had just been refurbished and is absolutely beautiful, to the exent where I took pictures of the paint colours to try and recreate at home! I like the sheet/bedspread combination rather than a duvet which doesn't let you regulate the temperature so well. Bathroom only had a shower, but an excellent shower, and despite being a solo traveller, unlike many hotels they left me 2 sets of lovely towels. The TV is good. The room temperature was fine. I ordered a good bar snack in the evening and was able to take it to my room. Hairdryer in the bedside drawer. Really good lighting.

Now for the not so good, and some of this is my personal preference rather than where the hotel may be going wrong: The staff are efficient, but not necessarily very warm or welcoming, with the exception of the receptionist on Sunday morning. My 2 particular bugbears, though firstly, lack of information in the room (one laminated card with breakfast times on and local information is all it would take, and means I don't have to play Dan the Memory Man once I get to my room having had a brisk rundown on timings from the receptionist). Secondly, no iron in the room. If you ask, they bring one, but it always seems to be when I've just got out of the shower I realise there isn't one. Breakfast - well, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. There is cereal and various fruit juices to help yourself to, and table service for coffee (only one coffee, no pot or refill). I opted for the continental - 2 slices of ham, a cheese slice cut into two, some tinned fruit salad and a yoghurt. Oh and a pot of Philadelphia cheese, although where you are supposed to spread that is tricky when only one slice of toast is provided. I assume this is portion control and budgeting, good if you are on low carb diets, but surely they could stretch to 2 slices at least?! The noise at weekends from the aircraft is there, but minimal. The noise from other guests can be obtrusive in an old building, but the hotel has no control over that.

One word of warning - the sash windows. They are held up by little bolts, but are incredibly heavy, if you need to shut the window take great care and hold onto it securely or get your fingers out of the way! Another tip - it looks as if the parking is only on the narrow road spaces, but there is a carpark further along which is easier to get out of.

For the room I had, 3 stars seems a bit mean, but I hope the constructive comments are taken on board. It could go from average to really good with a little effort.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Farnboroughtraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

I booked hotel via a groupon deal. Hotel package stated sounded really good- one night stay with bottle of Louis Dornier champagne, 20% off food at the Ham and Blackbird pub nearby and breakfast.

I have stayed at a few hotels recently via Groupon so was hoping for a good stay. The location unfortunately wasn't great opposite Farnborough airport, so constant plane noise and hotel is on the main road. There was car parking we parked to the side of the hotel however when departing it was tricky exiting with cars parked on other side of the road.
We were offered a deluxe room with en suite. Room was of good size and bed was comfortable. Unfortunately room was very warm, radiator was off, we opened both windows and still very warm.
Bathroom was very small, if we were large you would have difficulty moving around at ease.
There was tea and coffee in room with a good size LCD tv, and the champagnewas in our room when we arrived. The room was nicely decorated. I commented on the nice touch of chandelier though my boyfriend commented it was actually broken with parts missing, large cobweb in corner of the room!
The bathroom was decorated to a high standard and I loved the mirror, there was a brownish stain in bath so wasn't sure if it had been cleaned. Good toiletries provided however one bottle made me laugh has it had no label stating what the liquid actually was in it.
Breakfast was of a good standard we went with falcon breakfast you were either allowed sausage or bacon. Butter was not on table so that was the oy thing you had to get up and get.
Only saw two staff members at hotel the next morning who were smartly dressed but very quiet. We met I believe the French manager at arrival who seemed very nice. Though she was chatting so much she nearly forgot til I prompted her for the room key!!
All in all for the price we paid via groupon it was a good night stay.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Verdie90
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Upon check-in I was given a sparsely furnished room that was freezing cold as the heating wasn’t working. I was then moved to another room where the heating couldn’t be turned off!

Next day I returned form a meeting at 12.30 in the afternoon to be greeted by an angry manager who was personally offended that I hadn’t check out on time. They had cleared my belongings out of my room and she basically flung my bag and clothes over the counter at me. Rude, aggressive and extremely unprofessional.

To be fair the receptionist was very friendly and seemed embarrassed by the treatment I received.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Good value for what we paid for the standard double room, well decorated good service, only thing that let down was shower was too strong, and when the housekeeper cleaned dirty cups were put into the wardrobe, and new ones were replaced onto the dressing table. parking wasn't brilliant but found place in the end. all in all happy :).

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank elisey123
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We got a last minute deal on this hotel for a 'deluxe room' (this means it has been refurbished). The room is fairly small due to the new bathroom, but it is adequate. Modern wallpaper with rustic furniture makes a nice change. I was surprised not to have a duvet- just quilt and sheet but it was fine.
The only problem with our stay was that it was quite noisy but this is not the hotels fault. Maybe the walls are a little thin but more that the other guests were noisy! We were in room 16 by the stairs so heard a lot of doors banging.
Breakfast was lovely with full english and continental available. I dont think I would pay full price for the room but was very pleased with the deal we got.

Room Tip: Go for 2nd floor to avoid noise from above
1 Thank vanessawhatever
Broadstairs
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have recently stayed at the hotel, we have one complaint, that the sound proofing is non existant, we were sited in the front of the hotel on the first floor, we could hear the noise from the bar as if we were still in there, also the rooms above and adjacent, we could hear the creaking floor in the corridor and the closing of the fire doors, very noisy, shame as it was a lovely hotel apart from this.

Room Tip: try a room at the back on the top floor then you will only hear the people below
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed here on 14th April with my husband & have got to say we were very impressed ,from walking throught front door we had a welcome reception & our room was very clean & comfortable.The staff were very pleasent & helpful breakfast was good to like other reveiws shame the resturant is not open.we would reccomend this hotel to our friends & family & would go back ourselves.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Aviator Hotel
#5 of 7 in Farnborough
Premier Inn Farnborough West (Southwood) Hotel
Travelodge Farnborough Central
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Falcon Hotel? Share your experiences!