“Really pleasant surprise”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Farnborough
London, United Kingdom
“Really pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed Christmas Eve and Christmas night 2013 so I could spend Christmas with some friends who lived nearby.

This hotel was a really pleasant surprise as I had not stayed there before.

There was plenty of free parking available.

I found check in was quick, friendly and informative.

My room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

The shower had full water pressure and really hot water, which is on the things you don't find in many hotels these days.

I bought a voucher for breakfasts for both mornings. There was plenty of good coffee and they cooked exactly what I asked for (poached eggs and brown toast). There was also all the usual hot and cold foods but I did not consume any of those. Staff at breakfast were friendly, efficient and professional. They were also mindful that it was the festive season and wished me a merry Christmas.

When I got back from Christmas day at my friend's house, there was a nice card from the manager and box of chocolates waiting for me in my room. I thought that was an excellent surprise from the staff.

Mu constructive criticism is that internet/Wi-fi prices were too expensive. If you wish guests to have access and also use the service, you may need to consider review. Most places either have free access or very reasonable rates in the current economic climate. I would personally like access included in my stay.

I am a member of IHG rewards club and try to stay at the chain's hotels when possible to earn airline miles. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to others based on my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the stairwells
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Farnborough, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Balibelli2011,

Thank you so much for your constructive review further to your stay with us over the festive period. I was delighted to hear the staff were friendly and efficient as this is what we pride ourselves on. Guest care is our number one priority and I am pleased you were not disappointed.

I certainly understand your comments with regards to Internet and I can confirm that from the 1st July 2014 all IHG Rewards Club members will receive free standard internet access. This is currently available for Gold and Platinum members.

I was delighted to hear you will recommend the hotel and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you next require accommodation in the Farnborough area.

Jane Standing, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Lincolnshire, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is a hard one to review.

Arrived after dark on a cold wet January evening. Found plenty of parking available.

The reception area was welcoming (this is in the old part of the building) and the check in was efficient and friendly. I then started the trek to my room, up then left then left again then right then left and left then right. I get the impression that this hotel has been extended then extended again and again over the years resulting in a rabbit warren that seems to go on forever.

When I got to my room it was a good size and clean but the decor was clearly dated looking much like many other Holiday Inns I have stayed at over the last 15 years. It wasn't so much tired just drab and dated. It was also a tad cold however once I have found the "small" heater and plugged it in, the room soon warmed up.

In the morning, breakfast was typical for this type of hotel but sufficient to set me up for the day.

So efficient and friendly staff, a clean and comfy (if rather drab) room and nothing really to complain about.

BUT

I have visited Farnborough many times over the years and I can't help but notice that this is one of the most expensive Holiday Inn hotels I have ever stayed in. Each time I look online for a hotel, this hotel is always showing silly expensive rates and for the sort of money being asked, it is often cheaper to stay in the Aviator 2 minutes up the road.

Now the Aviator is a truly world class hotel. It can justify high room rates.

The Holiday Inn Farnborough is in a different league so to try and charge the same rates is just insane.

If the rates had been the same as I would have paid at the Holiday inn in Reading or Swindon or Basingstoke etc then I would have given this 3 or 4 stars but for now it is simply over priced for what is after all an average Holiday Inn

Room Tip: For this sort of money, try the Aviator up the road
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkRoddis
Dear MarkRoddis,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write a review further to your recent stay at the hotel. I was pleased to note that the reception team gave you an efficient and friendly welcome.

I do appreciate your feedback around the price of the room for the facilities offered. I certainly highly value all guest feedback as it ensures we are constantly evaluating what we offer. Our standard bedrooms are currently being updated and will have a more contemporary feel. Guest care is our number one priority and I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Please do contact me directly on 07808 098809 or jane.standing@ihg.com so we can ensure that all runs smoothly for you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

After the house I was selling caught fire 4 days before completion I was but into the holiday inn I thought I was being treated well because of the circumstances but no this was not the case as had plenty of time to study my surroundings each an every guest was made to feel special not once did I here anybody complain as there was nothing to complain about the managers never locked themselves in their offices Jane, Robert an Neil along with all the others were always ready to talk to guest and it was never false the chef an kitchen staff were excellent and nothing was to much trouble what ever your requirements, the cleaning staff done an excellent job an Linda was extremely pleasant as we're the rest even down to the maintainable crew if something need doing it was done immediately without disturbing any of the guests as for Spirit heath club was very special as being in a hotel you always have a tendency to become lethargic but the team Scot, Matt, Greg, Luke and Paul were always there to give you extra tuition or explain the machines or if a bit of extra motivation was required this was done in away that really was not condescending, I never used the spa treatment room but spoke to several women that did an they al seem delighted with the pampering they received. If I could give this particular hotel eleven out of ten I certainly would an would highly recommend this place to all who ask inc family an friends an I would defiantly without hesitation say here again in the knowledge that the treatment everybody receives remains special

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Blackdeath13,

Thank you so much for your positive review. It's great to know that the team and I have looked after you so well during this difficult time. Once you are in a position to leave I do hope you will keep in touch and thank you for recommending the hotel to your friends and colleagues.

Ulverston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Staff excellent, rooms tired, corridors very tired. For the price over £100 with breakfast, you're expected to pay for wifi?? Come on Holiday Inn, get with it. I will stay at the elsewhere when I'm back in a couple of weeks. Bit silly really for the cost to the owners of supplying free wifi.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Farnborough, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Paul L,

Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to note that you found the staff excellent, I will share your kind comments with the team. I can confirm that we are undergoing a bedroom upgrade to our bedrooms which will have a much more contemporary feel to them. We currently have 16 of the new rooms available so please do get in touch on 07808 098809 or jane.standing@ihg,com as we would welcome the opportunity to accommodate you in a few weeks time.

We currently offer free standard internet to our gold and platinum IHG Rewards members and all members will receive this service from 1st July 2014. I am sorry that this will deter you from staying at the hotel, but please do consider giving us another chance. Do get in touch!

Jane Standing
Crawley, Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I chose this hotel for a surprise special weekend with my teenage girls mainly because it had a swimming pool. I chose the area because I thought they would like to go to BirdWorld which is nearby. (I was wrong!)

The hotel is comfortable - I booked a family room which had a large super kingsize bed and a sofa bed. The sofa bed is fine for a child but was really too short for an adult. I shared the big bed with one of my daughters (aka duvet-stealer) and the other one slept on the sofa bed but did find she couldn't stretch out straight.

It was great having the choice of pillows although I couldn't see a massive difference between the firm and soft hollow-fibre ones. We asked for the soft feather pillows which arrived very quickly even though it was late (about 10pm) when we called down as we hadn't noticed the list of pillow choices until then. They were better but still not as squishy as my ones at home.

We spent a few hours the first afternoon in the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi which were all nice. My girls do love swimming so it was a big hit with them. The showers in the changing rooms were lovely; hot and powerful. We didn't want to leave them! An all-in-one shower gel/shampoo was available in the shower stalls. The area for getting dressed is quite small and got cramped when another group came in at the same time as us.

We didn't go for the breakfast as we felt £11.50 each was far too expensive. My youngest wanted a bag of crisps from the bar - it was £1.20 for one, regular-sized bag!!! We were pleased with the free Mars Bar with the tea and coffee making facilities although I did phone down to reception to check it was free before we ate it!

All the staff we met were very polite and happy to help.

Over all, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank E-mailAddict
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Farnborough, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Email Addict,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review further to your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to learn that you and your daughters enjoyed your visit and that you would recommend the hotel. Thank you for your constructive comments regarding the sofa bed and pillows which I will follow up with my Head Housekeeper.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Jane Standing
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Nice comfortable place to stay. Staff is great,especially the outstanding service from Gattis, the bartender in the lounge. Gattis was very personable and provided very good service. It was a fun place to relax after work. The only downside was that the food was expensive, and we tended to go to restaurants in the surrounding area for dinner.

Room Tip: Some rooms seemed to have "thin walls". Make sure you ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Robert-Head, Manager at Holiday Inn Farnborough, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear M W

The team and I were very pleased with your review and especially Gatis after you singled him out for being very personable and providing outstanding service.

Reviews on Tripadvisor are not only helpful for future travellers looking to stay in the future but also a great way for our staff to be recognised for the great service they provide.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Robert Head
Operations Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for work. The room was good but at more than 100GBP a night it should have been.

Breakfast is a whopping £17 (discounted to 11.50 if you buy at reception) I took it on one day and it was good. Other days when i was less hungry I made use of of the complimentary fruit and coffee in reception :)

This HI is well located for the aerospace centre - just a few minutes walk. For a lighter breakfast there are good value options near by.

Wireless access was not included in the room rate and it was pricey (£30 for 3 days) but fast.

Room service on the one night I took it was definitely above average... But there are some excellent restaurants nearby so no excuses really!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear iksloc

Thank you for the time taken to review us on Tripadvisor. Feedback of all kinds is incredibly important to us as we strive to constantly improve.

I was glad to read that overall you had a good stay with us and found the breakfast and room service to be of a high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Robert Head
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Aviator Hotel
Premier Inn Farnborough Town Centre
Premier Inn Farnborough West (Southwood) Hotel
Premier Inn Aldershot Hotel
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham

Been to Holiday Inn Farnborough? Share your experiences!