“Overnight stay as base for Legoland”

Holiday Inn Farnborough
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Farnborough
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay as base for Legoland”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We, a family of four (children aged 9 and 7), travelling with my in-laws with same aged children, used the Holiday Inn Farnborough as a base from which to travel to Legoland. We bought this overnight stay through 'Budget Family Breaks' (cheaper than through Legoland's own website with the same hotel!!).
The Customer Service was the OUTSTANDING feature in this hotel, nothing was too much trouble and all the staff were welcoming, happy, accommodating and helpful.
The hotel facilities were great also. Each room was a good size with a comfortable good sized sofa bed for the children. The rooms were very clean with air conditioning, drinks fridge (chargeable), big TV, iron/board, hairdryer. The hotel also has a health club attached, used by non-hotel members, with a gym, a lovely pool albeit small and a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.
The children were welcomed with a pack of goodies when we checked in and a FREE cookie and milk voucher, they were also given a goodie bag of healthy snacks when we left - lovely touch.
The only thing with this hotel was the price of the food. You cannot eat a main course for less than £12 per head and although the quality of the food is good, the quantities do not make it good value for money. The childen will eat for FREE from the very well selected children's menu buffet of pasta, shepherds pie, wedges, vegetables, pizzas and fish fingers which does balance out the cost I guess; we liked the idea of the children being able to tuck into the buffet immediately on arrival, especially after a couple of hours in the pool. The good thing is that you can sit in either the bar or the restaurant and choose from either menu. There were not a lot of people eating in the bar or restaurant, I guess because of the price and there are other options locally. There is a great Indian restaurant we tried on the Sunday night just down the road and I also saw another hotel guest receiving a pizza delivery!!
Breakfast was excellent with a full english, cereals, toast, pancakes etc... and again the service was excellent.
Overall a lovely stay and would highly recommend it. Just plan what you are going to eat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank redeemedbyLove
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Farnborough, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear redeemedbyLove,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review further to your stay at the hotel.

I was so pleased to hear you found the customer service to be outstanding, from my perspective it's the staff who can really make a guests stay. I put a lot of emphasis on recruiting the right type of person and then ensuring they have excellent training.

I understand your concerns regarding the price of food, however as you say if you take in to account the free food for the children at both breakfast and dinner it makes the overall cost more competitive. Our pricing is very similar to other hotels in the area.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and thank you once again for your feedback.

Jane Standing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this 2 night stay as a start of school holiday surprise for our children. We have had a relaxing, enjoyable proper holiday. Neil on reception was kind and professional and helped us to sort any issues, ground floor room comfortable for 4 of us and food delicious from bar and restaurant. The swimming pool etc was great.

We have stayed in several Holiday Inn hotels and really liked the atmosphere at this location. Thanks everyone for all your hard work. Considering a family party there next year!!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank PartyofFour_10
Dear PartyofFour_10,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! I was delighted to read your feedback and thank you for your kind comments and the particular mention for Neil.

Guest feedback is so important as it helps us to improve the facilities and services that we offer. I will be sharing your review with the hotel team.

I note you may consider the hotel for a family party next year. Please do get in touch on jane.standing@ihg.com and I will arrange for one of my Events Coordinators to send you a proposal.

Hopefully we will see you next year!

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Farnborough during the Farnborough International Airshow. The accommodations were nice, spacious, and clean. The staff was on their A-game throughout the week of the Airshow. They were friendly, helpful, and timely with requests. The hotel had special buffet-style dinners planned (hog roast on two nights, mexican food night, etc.).

The only negative point I have is when there is an event involving music in the event rooms, we were able to hear it loud and clear on the third floor. The manager did leave us a note to let us know an event would be going on, however, it would be almost impossible to sleep when an event is going on.

Room Tip: TIP: We signed up for the rewards program so we got free wifi during our stay.
1 Thank Rachael G
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Farnborough, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Rachael G,

Thank you for your feedback further to your stay at the hotel during the Farnborough Airshow. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write a review.

I was sorry to hear you were disturbed by some music but pleased we notified you of this. I do hope this did not mar your enjoyment and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back for the show in 2016!

Kind regards

morlandmonk
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a very nice holiday inn, modern and spacious rooms and friendly staff. It would have scored higher but for two issues. On arrival I was not recognised at all as a Platinum rewards member, something that should be standard for all IHG hotels. The second issue was in the restaurant, I had two guests for dinner and upon leaving was asked to sign the bill for two set menus. It was only later that I realised that the set menu price was greater than the actual menu prices of the items consumed, I raised this with the duty manager but at no point was I offered a refund (I was in a rush so did not pursue), it was not a lot of money but I do feel ripped off. This hotel is a real opportunity missed, so close to a perfect 5!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Farnborough, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear morlandmonk,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review further to your stay with us.

I was sorry to hear that you felt we had not recognised you as a Platinum Member. I understand you were given an upgraded room and allocated points which had in fact been added to a guest with the same name as yourself in error. I understand you have since spoken with my Operations Manager regarding your complaint and he has also resolved the points issue and given you additional points as a gesture of goodwill.

My sincere apologies for any dissatisfaction experienced and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed at the a holiday Inn Farnborough on business, glad it was not my £200 a night because I would have refused to pay it outright. The check-in experience was poor from the start, insisting I have to pay when the booking was prepaid days in advance, only when phoning 'the Manager' did they confirm they had in fact already had my companies money. Then there was the charge for wi-fi access! in today's day and age I have to pay? at £200 a night for a single room I would expect to have internet access.
After the unpleasant check-in experience I get to the room (number 434). Described as a double room, it was a single bed and you could not swing a cat! Oh, and the generator outside the window offered a noisy and disturbed night sleep as well.
So off to the hotel restaurant and where after waiting 45 minutes for the food to arrive it was cremated.
What a nightmare of a place. Will not be going there again, Premier Inn booked for the next 6 weeks!

2 Thank Matthew B
Dear Mab100uk,

I was most concerned to read your review and must apologise for the dissatisfaction you experienced during your recent visit to the hotel. I would like to assure you that your experience was by no means typical of our usual high standards of service and guest care.

I would very much like the opportunity to make amends and would ask that you contact me directly on jane.standing@ihg.com or 07808 098809.

I have discussed your comments with my team and I do hope you get in touch. I look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in the Holiday Inn Farnborough.

Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Arrived at 2pm and was told room wasn't ready , had to wait 25 minutes ., i unloaded my gear and didn't return to the hotel until 1am , it was then i noticed there was poo on the toilet seat, also the toilet seat was in a grubby condition , the carpet was stained , the hotel was very noisy , i think i must have had a herd of elephants above me. i will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: avoid this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Duane C
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Farnborough, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Duane C,

I was horrified and shocked to read your recent review and would ask that you contact me at your earliest convenience on jane.standing@ihg.com or 07808 098809 so I can make amends.

I do hope you will appreciate by reading the other reviews that your experience should be treated as an isolated incident, none the less I am most concerned and would very much welcome the chance to discuss your stay with you directly.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here whilst visiting legoland as a family. Would use again. Spacious. Clean. Friendly. Decent breakfast. No complaints! Fab for kids. Especially the conker trees outside. Easy to find. Beds were comfier than some better rated hotels we have stayed in!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Natalie B
Dear Natalie B,

I was delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. We pride ourselves on being a family focused child friendly hotel and like to ensure our younger guests are as satisfied as our older ones!

I am glad the conker tree provided some fun for the children and hopefully kept them occupied for a while!

I do hope you will stay with us in the future should you require accommodation in the area.

Jane Standing,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnborough
Aviator Hotel
Premier Inn Aldershot Hotel
Falcon Hotel
Falcon Hotel
#7 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Holiday Inn Farnborough? Share your experiences!