“Quirky country pub”

The Barley Mow
Ranked #15 of 74 Restaurants in Fleet
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Quirky country pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I loved it in this little pub. It was very welcoming and had a really good vibe. You could take over their board games if you wanted and the pub also allowed dogs in which was fab. Nice outdoor seating, lit in the evenings with regular replacing of ash trays.

The only downside to the pub would be it's prices, I definitely think prices over £4 a pint is a bit too expensive.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Tamsinbest

UK
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Went here with a few friends for the first time,massive portions and gorgeous food.Very welcoming and a good service.Would definitely go back

Visited April 2014
Farnborough, UK
“Great place to stop for food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I've probably cycled past this pub 2 or 3 times a week on my leisure rides, and have always wanted to stop off.

The opportunity presented itself a week ago, and it was well worth it.

Between us we chose the ribs platter and the Burger, and although pricey the food was of very good quality, the burger was cooked to perfection imho, the ribs literally fell off the bone, and the sauce was divine.

its a great place to watch the world go by.

• Visited July 2014
Lampeter, United Kingdom
“All dressed up....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

On arrival I was greeted with a clean well kept country village pub close to the banks of the Basingstoke canal. The pub was quiet, but as it was early in the week that didn't matter.

The menu seemed to offer a small but reasonable selection of food. Nothing outstanding, but a selection none the less. I chose the daily special of Garlic chicken curry and a glass of Stella Artois. At £15.00 I was hoping for a treat indeed.

I sat awaiting my meal, soaking in the sounds of an obscure internet radio station in a clean and comfortable lounge area. My meal arrived fairly soon after I had made myself comfortable. It was served with the rice formed in a small upturned bowl an the sauce in a balti style dish. A large popadom and a small dish of mango chutney were added as sides.

Presentation may be a feast for the eyes, unfortunately the meal itself was not so good.

I have never had a less favoursome meal in my life. How can a garlic chicken curry not taste of anything is beyond me. The meat, though tender had no flavour at all. And the sauce also had no taste. I could see onion and chilli in the sauce but everything was totally overpowered by the heat from the chilli.

All in all though the looks of the premises and the food promised. I left feeling very disappointed and seriously out of pocket. Fortunately Fleet has a McDonald's and a KFC. Next time I visit I will stick to their tastier options.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank AndyOD
Tadley, United Kingdom
“Nachos heaven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We popped in for lunch after an excellent dog walk at the nearby Basingstoke Canal. The prices are a wee bit high but boy the plate of Nachos which are so plain elsewhere were just brilliant here. Plenty on the plate, warm crisps, fresh chilli beef, homemade salsa, sour cream, chopped tomatoes & onions, properly heated cheeses. No need for anything else therefore the price turned out to be cheap not expensive!
My loved one had simple Scampi &chips but,again, the chips were stunning....really light and crisp.
Nice area outside so BBQ's here in the summer would be delightful.

• Visited May 2014