“Ok food, friendly service”

The Heron on the Lake
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Fleet
London
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Ok food, friendly service”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Nice location with the lake (well it's a large pond really). Service was a little slow but the waitress was lovely. For two salads I would say our food should have reached us in less than 30 mins. Nice to have decent wine available in 500ml carafe sizes. The food was ok, but nothing special. I would suggest the starters are a little over-priced given the portion sizes. Maybe it would be better at lunchtime rather than on a busy, hot weekday evening.

2 Thank Hypothalamus

Fleet, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Good Food on the Lake”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Food and service here is always 1st Class. Its a great drop in location with plenty of parking and a good atmoshere. outside eating is a option if the weather permits.

Visited May 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Recommended”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Visited for the first time with friends who had been once before. It was very busy but we got a table, drinks and ordered from the varied menu (something for most people). We sat back to wait but the food appeared in good time and was very good and plenty of it. The staff were all very helpful and friendly - nice place

Cardiff, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“OK! Just”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I am cursed by Insider information! I work in the industry as an Hotel Maintenance Manager, so I know what it takes to try and satisfy the customer and my Son-in-Law is an award winning Head Chef. My first objective is to be fair in all my reviews but honesty is my thing and I tell it like it is.
Nice location, nice décor, nice ambiance but in need of major TLC. The first plank on the right of the Jetty entrance is loose and dangerous, you know how kids like to climb, well! someone could be injured if this is not repaired.
First impression....it was Saturday, a little before 7PM, evening of the Farnborough Air Show, the place should have been heaving, but without a booking, we were seated straight away, a table of 8. We got drinks but then waited 25 minutes for our order to be taken. I found the menu pretentious and not really eat friendly. For a place like this, which is neither Pub or Restaurant to work, it needs to provide good simple British Food, well cooked and piping hot.

If you have 5 Starters and Mains and change 1 or 2 of choices on a monthly basis, you will keep everyone happy and bring back repeats. By being able to offer Starters as a Mains Course, you increase your choice. My reason for saying this......I didn't fancy anything on the mains, so I asked if I could have the Scallops on a bed of mash as a Mains. The female waiter( there is a reason for the distinction, which will become obvious) explained that the starter was 1.....yes 1 Scallop in a shell with a bit of mash and explained that it would be insufficient for a person of my standing and perhaps she might double up but appeared to think that I would still be left wanting!!! I balked at the idea of 2 scallops costing £12.00 and opted for the 28 day Rib-Eye. Medium rare!

Bread arrived with Balsamic Vinegar in a pond of oil. No great presentation. A waiter of the male persuasion arrived with the starters and grunted at us. One of the starters was a sharing platter with 4 dishes and was at least half the length of the table, he was also carrying the other starters in his other hand. Logistics will tell you that unless you have magical powers, you cannot put multiple dishes on a surface, safely. We did our best to help but in the midst of this, another male waiter came along and both of them decided to have a rant about their work conditions.
The mains were also served by a male waiter, who didn't even check to see whose was the Medium Rare. He also served my wife's main over my dish, even though there was plenty of room to go around me. The female waiters were pleasant and attentive, the male waiters were like so many other places......their collective heads so far up their nether regions that they have a year round tan!!! Most of them have the attitude that it is beneath them to serve meals to the great unwashed.

The food was OK! Just. Good lunch food but not good enough for an evening meal.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice location”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Good food, nice location, friendly wait staff. Nice place to eat as a family. We visit at least once a month.

Visited June 2014