“Ideal for any occassion - taste and class”
Review of Oatsheaf

Oatsheaf
Ranked #15 of 73 Restaurants in Fleet
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 January 2014

You know when you find somewhere that you like so much you dont want to tell anyone about it because you want to keep it to yourself? The Oatsheaf is that place for me. It originally started as the place my friends and I would meet for a drink before moving on but now we look forward to our evenings staying there.

I have never been on a weekend or mid day but I can comment on midweek evenings. Perfect!

The look of the place is washed wood tables, comfortable chairs and open fire places. The furniture is not cramped in, I can relax and there is no squeezing between tables and chairs to get around. For me it has an alpine feel in décor and there is no need to shout over music or be distracted by a television.

Importantly, it is clean! I do not feel the need to wipe the cutlery or check the glasses, and as a person with a phobia of public toilets, the Oatsheaf is spotless in that department also, of course I can only comment on the ladies. I feel the staff carry on this trend and are presentable, friendly, helpful and professional. Nothing seems too much bother for them. They are a credit to their management and I have no problem with them handling my food.
So far I have never needed to book a table and I have to say it is more like an easy going restaurant rather than a pub. Which is nice for an evening out.

I think the menu is limited but offers a choice and caters for all, (meat, fish and vegetarian) although personally I would like to see more pasta options. I have noticed that the menu does change regularly and I have never been disappointed in what I have ordered. I have never had to wait too long for the food to come out and the portion size is satisfying and the food looks and tastes great. It’s the type of place where you see what the table next to you ordered and you resent only having one stomach!

There is a good selection of beers and wines as well as more than your average choice on soft drinks. So far during my visits there has also been a variation on the hot beverages, including tasty double espresso’s served in crockery which makes me feel I am in Italy.
On price, The Oatsheaf is not expensive. Currently a main course is on average £13. I think it is value for money and if you sign up to their website you often receive good discounts (most recent being £10 off a meal). Again I can only comment on the midweek evenings, but it has the type of atmosphere I would be comfortable taking anyone. I have seen business meetings, dates, anniversaries and general friends catching up.

Take someone here and you will impress them with taste and class without being overbearing.

1  Thank DippyDee

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Despite a really busy, jam packed bar we were greeted by the deputy manager who immediately found us a table. We were served by three delightful waitresses during the course of our meal which was served promptly, piping hot and delicious. A little expensive but on the whole a good experience and worth revisiting.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Since my last review of the Oatsheaf were I commented on the slow service it seems things have improved significantly on the service side. After ordering drinks at the bar we decided to eat and on this occasion the waiting staff were very helpful, fast and friendly. The food was also very good although for the prices being charged it should be excellent.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Last minute dinner required for two. No reservations required which helped us but i think we were just lucky to get the last table which was a large beer barrel to sit at on two stools but we are not precious so it didnt really bother us. Had to request menus twice, also had to request condiments and cutlery after the food arrived at the table which is a bit annoying. Food was very timely although the salmon portion was very small, i could have eaten 3 of them. Colleague chose a pasta dish which was more substantial. Doomar ale on tap which was perfect for us both. Being December the bar area was busy so all the food for the dinning area was lucky to make it past the elbows of festive drinkers thank god. There was also a mess up on our bill in our favour so we pointed this out which was greatfully acknowledged. One female member of the waiting staff was apologetic and tried to be helpful throughout but seemed very frustrated by the whole ordeal.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We visited the oatsheef for the second time with friends recently and we will not be going back again . We were not given menus but when we did eventually request them, presumed they had everything so we ordered and were told no sea bass and no haddock so why not say that in the first place and then we would not have been disappointed. We were served our starters and then waited over an hour for our main courses; never were we told there was a delay and the restaurant was busy , we had to chase our wine order (including having wine dwliered but left unopened) and when my food was delivered I had 2 of the smallest pieces of meat and the smallest piece of crackling , I complained and they did bring out me one more piece of meat and another piece of crackling although today I have had an upset stomach. I did speak to the manager and he did apologise and deducted money from our bill but we just wanted a nice meal and good service and got neither. There are other issues but to finish we will never be going back, I think that says enough.