“Good food poor service ”
Review of Oatsheaf

Oatsheaf
Ranked #17 of 74 Restaurants in Fleet
Price range: US$10 - US$29
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Good food poor service ”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Trip advisor is a pain as you can choose average or then leap to very good.. Truth is I cant call it either as the food was very good but the service is poor so affects the whole experience.. The good news is I had a really lovely lemon chicken and chips meal. It was beautifully cooked and the flavours were really very good. The chips were lovely. It does annoy me though that a main dish does not have a single vegetable in sight.. Why not? Do I really have to pay extra for a bit of 20p carrot or green? The squid starter was also really lovely and cooked to perfection so I would definitely return to eat.. The not so good news is that the service is not good and I have experienced this on other visits here too.. The outside area is particularly confusing.. Is there table service near the door or isn't there? Last time I was there I got told there was and brought a menu but no one came back for my order so this time as there were no outside staff visible I just ordered inside but then there is a wait at the bar.. You can see staff dotted around but they do stand about chatting a lot so it's much easier and quicker to just go in and order at the bar.. Today I waited quite some time at the bar too as there was only one guy available.. admittedly he was working his socks off but with so many of us waiting for service there's clearly just not enough staff..a shame as it's a nice place and clearly has a good chef.

1 Thank Katy R

Fleet, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thank you Jason & Team”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We organised a surprise 40th birthday dinner for my sister at The Oatsheaf and I honestly could not fault anything by Jason and his team. The food was great, our table was perfect, the service was top class and they honestly could not do enough for us. I dont normally take the time to write reviews but feel these guys deserve the credit.

Will definitely be back for the next family occassion.

1 Thank Boohoomoo
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Thank you Jason!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our family went here for a surprise meal for my nan's Birthday and the service was absolutely excellent. The staff were so friendly, the food came quickly and it tasted wonderful - especially the sticky sharing platter which I had. Thank you so much to Jason and to the rest of the staff there for a lovely night!

1 Thank mel_humes
East Horsley, United Kingdom
“Off duty staff issue”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Went with my family for a snack and drinks on Sunday late afternoon.
Service was a little slow- released why when we went outside.
There was a tall chap (beard and heavily tattooed) who was clearly staff. He was having drinks and food with another staff member and with a female friend. I have no problem with that (even when they get given drinks and food from working staff with quote "I haven't put it through on the till!" Nice perk I guess). I took issue when the chap decided that he could smoke on the non smoking decked area of the garden. When challenged (politely) he then even claimed he wasn't!!

I am sorry but it does not impress

2 Thank Steve B
Vieillevie, France
“Not as good as it likes to think....”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I know the Oatsheaf from old and it has undergone many transformations over the years. Now it's a very busy and popular town centre pub with a good menu offering what looks like better than average fare. Unfortunately, looks are deceiving. The food I had was overcooked (quite difficult to get a burger that tough and tasteless), poorly seasoned and overly expensive when considering the price of the rather small courses. The service was good and attentive but when you go for a meal you go for the food...at this they missed out.