“Historic Pile in great park”
Review of The Elvetham

The Elvetham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartley Wintney
Southern England
“Historic Pile in great park”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very imposing country estate hotel with bags of history yet so near access roads. Attended a private dinner on a fabulous warm sunny evening and took drinks on the lawn amid stunning gardens. Dinner was well cooked but not stunning. Staff extremely attentive and efficient. Inside of house packed with interesting features yet a relaxed environment. Didn't stay but ill be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight to attend a wedding, which had exclusive use of the venue. We were blessed with beautiful weather!

From arrival onwards we found the staff friendly, welcoming and excellent. The building itself is full of space and character with all its high, decorated ceilings, ornate fireplaces, paintings, sculptures and stained glass - no shortage of beautiful photo opportunities for weddings, both inside and out! It was a real delight to enjoy the interior, as every reception room had something different and unexpected to offer. The conservatory was a delightful place for the wedding meal, and again for the super breakfast the next day.

The staff attending the various aspects of the whole wedding event were plentiful, efficient and visible, and all did their jobs very well.

The grounds were also extensive. Situated as it is in such a rural location, cows could be seen in the field opposite the fishpond, and there was a stream along the entrance lane where Canada and Egyptian Geese could be seen with their goslings! The odd rabbit lolloped through the quieter areas. It was great to sneak off for the odd meander around these grounds. The disused church and its churchyard were very peaceful and we were able to try and decipher the inscriptions on the old gravestones and look at the war memorial, adorned with Remembrance Day poppies. It all felt rather 'Downton Abbey' as you could get a sense of the history of this previously thriving great house and its community.

The more formal part of the gardens was also extensive and set with plentiful tables with parasols. This area, although tidy, well-mown and nice to mill about with our drinks and canapes, did lack flowers and plants in its beds and borders. There were some, but given that this was the end of May, there was very little flowering and the beds looked rather barren. This is definitely a missed opportunity.

The part of the grounds that disappointed me most, however, was the fishpond at the bottom of the formal gardens. There were some beautiful water lilies floating on the pond, but otherwise the pond itself seemed very neglected and full of slime. I couldn't see any fish in there and indeed I hope there were none as it needs a good clean! In the beds surrounding the pond there seems to have been a recent problem with the roses - in the photos there are several rose plants, but these have mostly been removed, leaving large bare beds. Added to which the pavement around the pond is absolutely full of weeds growing up between the paving stones. It could be such a beautiful area but at present feels very neglected. I appreciate there has been flooding across the country earlier this year and wonder if the grounds here were affected, leading to these issues now?

My other niggle was our room. We booked a 'superior double' in January, as soon as we had received the invitation, at a wedding rate of £95 (usual rate £160.00). We had looked forward to the views over the gardens or grounds that the website implied many of these rooms have for the extra cost. However, although you could see the tops of trees from ours (Room 220), you could mostly only see the roof and a utility courtyard for deliveries in the centre of the hotel below. Other guests on the same tariff, or even the standard one, reported being able to see the church, garden and grounds from theirs, so this was disappointing for us. Obviously we weren't going to be in it much at a wedding, but if I had booked it for a longer stay or as a treat for ourselves, I would have been even more disappointed. We didn't go back to reception to request a different room, as once we had arrived, it was time for the wedding and the rest of the day and we didn't want to complicate things.

It was an adequately sized room for a night as we only popped in and out of it and then went to bed at 1.30 am (!) but if we had been needing to spend longer in it I would have found it quite claustrophobic due to its lack of a view. The bed, furniture and decor were good. The bathroom was a decent size, though it had no separate shower. Wardrobe facilities were very limited. The wardrobe was a small cupboard, with very few hangers, which went back vertically, which meant it was tricky to load clothes into - we only had enough hangers on which to put our clothes for the next morning. If you were staying for longer it would have been insufficient. However the ironing board was welcome.

Also of concern with the room were the windows. They were sash windows and only opened up a few inches at the bottom - in fact one of the two wouldn't even stay up at all. If there was a fire the only possible escape was by the door - you would not be able to even attempt to get out of the windows. Their limited opening also made the room very hot, although it was not a really hot day (20C outside). It felt as if heating was on, but maybe there were pipes running under our room. On a hotter summer day it would have been unbearably hot, although I did notice a fan in the cupboard.

I realise one of the attractions of this hotel is the fact that it is quirky, historic, original and that every room is different, according to the space available, but I did feel that our room was more of a standard room and not the superior one that we had hoped for, and as such was rather mis-sold. I have better views (of a neighbouring meadow and horses - and no roofs!) from the window of my very standard bedroom at my very standard home, and we don't exactly live on a manor, far from it!

However, to end on a brighter note, one tip I have for the ladies reading is to try the amazing ladies' loos in the main area near the bar! I can't quite describe how super the 'room' is that they are in, but it is incredibly spacious with a glass ceiling, filled with huge mirrors, and oozing opulence! Go, even if it's only to touch up your make-up! Have a twirl in front of the mirrors! The best ones I've ever visited anywhere!

A fantastic wedding venue and a lovely wedding - but if the few 'niggles' could be rectified for future guests it would be a truly 5 star experience.

5* for the wedding, public reception rooms and service; 4* for the grounds, and 3* for our room.

Room Tip: 220 is classed as a 'superior double' but doesn't have great views and is hot in summer.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TwoDividedByZero
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Just come back from here after attending a wedding and staying the night. Really super hotel. Splendid location, excellent rooms and really friendly and attentive staff. The Elvetham is a large country house with beautiful grounds and quite a lot of history. We had a room on the second floor. Plenty of space, modern bathroom (although there was a little gurgling from the plumbing), tastefully furnished with a huge comfortable bed. My only niggle is that rooms on the second floor can be a little difficult to get to - narrow stairs and corridors. Really loved the size and high ceiling of the function rooms, bar and restaurant. I would definitely stay again..

Room Tip: Try getting a room on the 1st floor as 2nd floor is a bit of a rabbit warren
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank spmedcalf01
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 22 May 2014

What a great find. Booked last minute, this place is a fantastically imposing old country pile. Mentioned in the Doomsday Book, if you have any interest in English history, this is a great place to stop for the night.

The sweeping driveway hides the imposing architecture that greets you as you turn the final corner. It is really quite impressive, with perfectly manicured lawns & gardens, it is a very well presented property. It did feel that at any moment, a knight would come galloping round the corner for a jousting competition.

From the moment I walked in, I felt that I was a valued client, despite having only booked the room an hour earlier. The place is steeped in history, & oozes old world hotel charm. The reception staff were friendly & helpful; we couldn't decide immediately if we were going to eat in or out, & they were not pushy or demanding to get an answer.

The room was well appointed, fabulous little toiletries, beautiful fluffy towels, gorgeous crispy cotton sheets, a fantastic view over the gardens & above all very, very clean & well presented. It was fantastically peaceful & quiet, I had a restful nights sleep.

Breakfast was served in the drawing room, again, another great view over the gardens. The selection was a fairly standard affair, although I must mention, the sausage was particularly good meaty British banger.

It is a wedding & conference venue, so it's standards are pretty high, & I felt that at £120 for the night (including breakfast) I got good value for money. If you are not British, I'd recommend this as a place to stay to absorb some real history & character (Americans would go nuts for this place).

We didn't stay for dinner, but headed into Hartley Wintney instead. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Crevlin
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a group meeting and social event. Rooms were good but a few odd features - no stowage space in bathrooms, no elevators, steep narrow stairs. Food and service excellent, and a lovely location and ambience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Crevlin
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

The first time you drive up the to the gates which opens automatically then up the driveway to see a magnificent hall you have to take a photo like I did (see photos) the car park is a couple minutes walk from the main reception so if it's raining make sure you have your brolly!
Friendly greeting, the room is okay a big single bed which is comfortable, a nice powerful shower. The restaurant is a bit on the pricey side but to be expected. I dined in the bar the food was okay, lovely views too look at and stunning features around the hall.
Breakfast was very good lots on offer.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew T
Manchester
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed for the weekend to attend a wedding. The whole experience was excellent. Staff were attentive, organised and friendly. The food was fantastic, with an excellent selection at breakfast. Room rates were very reasonable and the hotel was in excellent condition. It was obvious that the staff were committed to providing the best possible wedding reception.
We couldn't have been more impressed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,819 reviews
The Kingsley at Eversley

Been to The Elvetham? Share your experiences!