“The best thing is the location”
Review of The Elvetham

The Elvetham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartley Wintney
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The grounds are stunning and the building looks a bit like something from a romantic fairy tale set in Victorian Europe. It is old enough to look good from a distance, but when you get near you can see that some TLC is needed on the outside.
Parking is a little way away from the hotel (about 200 yards), so if you have heavy cases you will need to drive past the car park up to the main entrance and unload.
Reception was a bit of a surprise. I was expecting something grand and nearly walked past it without noticing it. There was no grand front entrance where you could sit and chat - except a small room leading through to the rest of the hotel with a piano and seating for about a dozen people.
We were there for a private dinner function in the library, which was very nice. Before dinner we had drinks outside the main bar and although the choice of beers is poor (Hotel, please note that the Hogs Back Brewery is just down the road!) the atmosphere could not be bettered. The dinner was good (food OK, but I have had better at worse hotels). Being a vegetarian I am now fed up with the default chef's choice for veggies of butternut squash risotto. Being a large dinner party, it was eat what the chef had chosen, or go hungry!
The staff however, were really attentive and efficient. My wine and water glasses never seemed to get empty. Good if you like that sort of thing, which I do.
Now to the room. We had room 121, which is on the first floor. Up a grand staircase and a couple of yards to the left. I didn't see a lift and I don't think there is one. Which raises questions about disability access...
The room was large and well appointed. The bathroom was large and had a bath with shower. All worked very well. There was tea and coffee making facilities and an iron, hairdryer and trouser press. The bed was two 3 foot singles joined together. The view from the window was of another part of the hotel and a low roof with a couple of large cooling fans on. The significance of these fans didn't appear until we went to bed at about 1.30 am. It was a very hot night and we had the windows open. The fans made a very loud continuous whine/humming noise, and kept me awake for several hours. When I mentioned this to reception on checking out they appeared surprised. I can't imagine that no one had ever mentioned this loud noise before...
Breakfast was a buffet. Not what I would expect from a hotel like this. Fried eggs and scrambled eggs (my basic cooked breakfast) are not at their best when kept on a heated plate! Also, no choice of vegetarian alternatives to the bacon and sausage. If there was one thing they could do to make me want to return (I would get a better room next time) would be to improve their vegetarian cooking and choices and change to cooked to order breakfasts...

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 120 and 121 because of the loud cooling fans outside. If you have problems with stairs a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank John F

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, i was there for my nieces wedding, as soon as i drove through the gates i was taken aback by the beautiful grounds, I was shown to my room and was very impressed by the cleanliness, i had a single room but it was big bright and airy and the bathroom was spotless, the food for the reception was excellent as was the service, couldnt fault it at all, all the staff were very helpful and friendly, would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank calamityjane64
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Granted this is my first trip to Europe but I expect something nicer. The grounds look great and beautiful and the property has history. The first room I was put in was tiny which was fine. But when I returned a few hours later it was filled with about 15-20 bugs in the bed and majority in the bathroom. I called and they said they would send someone but there was nothing else available. I called back after discovering how many there were and demanded them to move me. They did....to a room where the shower head was broken and my only option is to take a bath in the morning (which I personally would prefer not to). I decided to move, then I spotted a massive spider in the new room which I called back and the man was even scared to kill it. Possibly I am use to westernized hotels and I expected something cleaner and nicer.

I do have to say the staff was nice and sent an apology note with a bottle of wine. They were able to fix my shower the next day.

As for food, I was there for an event so mostly buffet and selected dinners, it was just ok nothing special.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the main building that is higher level.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank aer151
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our daughter and son in law held their wedding reception here last Friday.
We chose this venue for the beautiful buildings and stunning gardens, it certainly has the wow factor on entering the gates.
We were not disappointed. Andrew and his team all did a great job. Everyone is so polite, friendly and efficient, impeccable attention to detail and nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and very well presented.
The conservatory where the wedding breakfast was held looked lovely.
Some of us stayed the night and the rooms were all very nice. Extremely clean, very comfortable beds and pillows. We all enjoyed the buffet breakfast with an excellent choice the next day.
We would definitely recommend this as a wedding venue or for any special occasion.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Elvetham for business. You cannot deny the fact that the venue and its surroundings are simply beautiful. The place is full of history and you can get on a tour to find out more about its past. I was very excited on my way there. I was greeted by incredibly professional and nice staff members and that was my experience throughout the stay. However, the good impression was shattered by a few things which I don't think should be present at a place like this. The food was generally bad and full English breakfast was greasy and scrambled eggs were almost inedible. The room was cold and my colleague complained that he did not have hot water in his. In a nutshell, a rather disappointing venue. You cannot simply reply on the beautiful surroundings but make sure that all the tiny details are perfect as well. Only then will you be able to make somebody's stay an unforgettable one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MARCINKWIAT
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed at the Elvetham whilst on a course in Camberley and found the whole experience very pleasant. The grounds and formal gardens are lovely & very peaceful. Staff were friendly & helpful. My room was in the main house rather than one of the annex buildings & was at the end of its own little corridor & spiral staircase & was huge as was the bathroom! I think it may be one which has been recently refurbished as it was very light & clean with the most comfortable bed I've slept in for a long time in a hotel. The bathroom window looks out over a busy courtyard & could really do with some frosting on the window to save having to put the blind down & the light on when you want to use it!! As everyone from the course was staying at the hotel dinner was in one of the function rooms & was a set menu so nothing spectacular but absolutely fine. Breakfast in the conservatory with views of the garden was a lovely start to the day.
It isn't a 'luxury hotel' by any means but the quirky building, beautiful grounds & helpful staff made it an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lesley C
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My son and his beautiful bride were married in the splendid gardens of this amazing hall last week and it was the happiest of days. The staff of this hotel are a great team, led by Andrew, who went to every length to make sure it was a wonderful occasion. Whilst a very slick operation, so all the arrangements went like clockwork, the staff always has the time and patience to allow for all the personal and original input that made it the bride and groom's own and special day. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Fleet
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to The Elvetham? Share your experiences!