“Stunning location”
Review of The Elvetham

The Elvetham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartley Wintney
Reviewed 10 August 2014

An amazing location for a wedding or special event, this former ancestral home did not disappoint. It is within 5 miles of the M3, so within easy reach of London. There are 35 acres of gardens and grounds which add tranquillity to the slightly imposing main building. I was attending as a wedding guest and had not booked a room prior to my arrival, but one became available and I accepted it because I wanted to see the location in morning sunlight rather than evening torrential rain. The staff were punctilious but not intrusive. My room did not have a pretty view, but it was spacious with a good bathroom and cost £85 for the night. It was reached through a labyrinth of stairs, doors and passages, I was concerned in case I wouldn't be able to find it again, but of course, I did. I was slightly surprised at the early check out time of 10.30. Also I would have liked a swim, but there was no pool as far as I could see, although to be fair, I didn't check. The food, including breakfast, was faultless. I should love to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 August 2014

A beautiful hotel with a rich history. It's an old house with lots of paintings, fireplaces and stained glass windows. It's quiet and peaceful and very clean. It is mainly used for weddings and business meetings. Large grounds around the hotel with a stream populated with geese and ducks. Loved the fact that I could open the windows and let the air in and hear the ducks, geese, pigeons and various birds. Staff are very friendly and food is excellent. It's a taxi away from the nearest village, roughly an hour away from Heathrow Airport or central London. I've been there this February and there were floodings in the surrounding areas, otherwise would have taken a taxi to Stonehenge. For those looking for a relaxing and quiet holiday, it's ideal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was at the hotel yesterday for an 80th birthday party. It was like walking into an ancestral home, which is understandable, as that is what it used to be.

Approached up a long drive, the outside of the hotel looks imposing, but is not particularly pleasing to the eye. There is no symmetry, it looks more as if bits were added on at random.

However, this does not really matter for once inside the imposing front entrance it feels as if you are entering another world and another era. It is beautiful, with high ceilinged rooms full of exquisite furniture. It is most impressive.

There were 70+ people at the party and the staff were first rate. There was plenty of food at the serve yourself buffet, and was a mixture of hot and cold food. The choice was large and as soon as one dish was nearly empty a replacement full one was brought out.

The dessert and tea and coffee were served to each table by staff who were both attentive and polite.

The whole experience was one of relaxed enjoyment in opulent surroundings. An excellent place to be.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Guild4dlad
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I returned to The Elvetham and enjoyed good service and a comfortable stay. I just wanted to update readers that it looks like they have started some refurbishments as my bathroom looked like a showroom. All new and beautifully finished. So if they keep up that work and extend it into the bedrooms The Elvetham can only get better. I hope they don't creep up their prices as right now The Elvetham has got the perfect balance between price and quality. Keep up the room improvements and looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here for a family wedding recently and had the best tasting wedding meal to date. The duck was so fantastic that I was hoping that someone on our table didn't like it so that I could have more.

We had a terrific view of the garden from our 1st floor room which was very spacious and, of course, clean.

The staff were very accomodating and friendly.

Definitely recommend for either a wedding venue or just for a weekend break.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We recently stayed here for our very good friends wedding, the hotel were very accommodating advising and arranging a room for a family of 3, we got fantastic wedding rates too.
On the day itself the hotel were so great, they went out of their way to help me arrange a surprise for the couple, staff were friendly and helpful throughout. The food was amazing and you could tell very good quality.
The hotel is beautiful and really has a wow factor as you drive in, very easy to find from the motorway but totally secluded. The room was very large and had plenty of space for all 3 of us, the bathroom looked like it had recently been done up, and had a large bath with shower, double sink (!) and toilet.
Breakfast was fab too, they sat all the wedding guests at one end of the room and any other guests at the other, and the quality of food was great too.
We also had free wi-fi, just had to simply connect, no faffing with passwords or anything!

We really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 219
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The grounds are stunning and the building looks a bit like something from a romantic fairy tale set in Victorian Europe. It is old enough to look good from a distance, but when you get near you can see that some TLC is needed on the outside.
Parking is a little way away from the hotel (about 200 yards), so if you have heavy cases you will need to drive past the car park up to the main entrance and unload.
Reception was a bit of a surprise. I was expecting something grand and nearly walked past it without noticing it. There was no grand front entrance where you could sit and chat - except a small room leading through to the rest of the hotel with a piano and seating for about a dozen people.
We were there for a private dinner function in the library, which was very nice. Before dinner we had drinks outside the main bar and although the choice of beers is poor (Hotel, please note that the Hogs Back Brewery is just down the road!) the atmosphere could not be bettered. The dinner was good (food OK, but I have had better at worse hotels). Being a vegetarian I am now fed up with the default chef's choice for veggies of butternut squash risotto. Being a large dinner party, it was eat what the chef had chosen, or go hungry!
The staff however, were really attentive and efficient. My wine and water glasses never seemed to get empty. Good if you like that sort of thing, which I do.
Now to the room. We had room 121, which is on the first floor. Up a grand staircase and a couple of yards to the left. I didn't see a lift and I don't think there is one. Which raises questions about disability access...
The room was large and well appointed. The bathroom was large and had a bath with shower. All worked very well. There was tea and coffee making facilities and an iron, hairdryer and trouser press. The bed was two 3 foot singles joined together. The view from the window was of another part of the hotel and a low roof with a couple of large cooling fans on. The significance of these fans didn't appear until we went to bed at about 1.30 am. It was a very hot night and we had the windows open. The fans made a very loud continuous whine/humming noise, and kept me awake for several hours. When I mentioned this to reception on checking out they appeared surprised. I can't imagine that no one had ever mentioned this loud noise before...
Breakfast was a buffet. Not what I would expect from a hotel like this. Fried eggs and scrambled eggs (my basic cooked breakfast) are not at their best when kept on a heated plate! Also, no choice of vegetarian alternatives to the bacon and sausage. If there was one thing they could do to make me want to return (I would get a better room next time) would be to improve their vegetarian cooking and choices and change to cooked to order breakfasts...

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 120 and 121 because of the loud cooling fans outside. If you have problems with stairs a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
#2 of 4 in Fleet
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to The Elvetham? Share your experiences!