“Excellent Indian in Hartley Wintney”
Review of The Viceroy

The Viceroy
Price range: US$30 - US$51
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Sat 9th august we arrived around 800pm to find a very full restaurant with one very large group. very enthusiastic welcome and drinks ordered and arrived quickly.

Very comprehesive menu, some typically westernised Indian dishes and a few that I hadn't seen.

poppadoms delivered and very pleasant with excellent pickle accompanients.

Starters were all very good. We had vegetable cutlets (basically 2 large deep fried vege rissoles) were a little dry, some mango chutney solved that. Served with a pleasant salad and wedge of lemon. Chicken Shashlick was very good. again with a nice salad accompanient. The Chicken Tikka was also enjoyed.

The mains we had plenty of variety and the vegetarian among us was more than happy. For breads we tried peshewar naan, plain naan and Garlic & Coriander Nan. All well cooked and tasty.

Sides tried included Bombay Aloo, Dall Shatkora, Sag Paneer and Aloo Gobi. These are really good value for money, large dishes and tasty with it. Could have eaten these without mains and felt happy.

For mains we had Subzi Balti (vegetable), Chicken Tikka Biryani, Chicken Tikka and Lamb Jardaloo. These were all enjoyed and were quite large. The biryani is accompanied by a large vegetable curry. The biryani is tasty . fresh and well cooked. The Jardaloo with its unusual apricot based sauce is unusual, and tasty with succulent melt in the mouth pieces of lamb.

Everyone enjoyed the Viceroy, the fitting finale was Kulfi, an Indian ice cream. Lovely cold creamy mango ice cream with a cardamom taste running through. Lovely!

Excellent unobtrusive service, cost about 28 pounds each including drinks. Great value for money.

2  Thank NZVistingUK2014

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This used to be mine and my wife's favourite restaurant, in fact we went a couple of times per month, if only for the tandoori lamb chops. A couple of years ago they took them off the menu and I think they changed the cook as the food went down hill, not to a bad standard but there were better places out there. Tonight we went back to try again as our normal place had a large party in. Well, let's look at the food; the popadoms were stale, the starter (boti kebab & brinjal ) were both lovely and of the highest standard. The mains, chicken shashlick (?) my wife enjoyed and I had the tandoori bass and that was really horrible and I don't know why as I always eat the fish in Bangladeshi restaurants. So all in all it's getting better but still far behind those heady days of a couple of years ago. Would I go back? No there's far better in fleet.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I've been visiting the Viceroy on and off now for the last 5 years. It is local to where I work and we have many get togethers there with parties ranging from 4 to 25. The staff are always very friendly, the service can often be slow (something you might expect with freshly prepared dishes) but the food is definately worth waiting for. Not the cheapest of places to eat either but it won't put me off returning again and again.

1  Thank Jax A
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Tryed this place for a takeaway once, the poppadoms where stale,seemed like they had been made days before,also the chicken I find to be hard. I would say they use frozen chicken not fresh. I would not go back to this place. I have had better value for money else where,and at a lot less price.

1  Thank Julie F
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The last time we visited was in 2011 so I was keen to drop by again and see how things were going; in addition I am still introducing my daughter Taylor to all the North Hampshire Curry Houses!
The service here will never win any awards but you can expect a very good meal. Matt went for a Chicken Morissa, Taylor the Korai Paneer and I had my usual Prawn Vindaloo; all of these were really tasty and perfectly prepared. The accompaniments and Nan were of a good standard too and at less than £20 a head for the evening the value for money was excellent.
Do I seem underwhelmed? Slightly, because of the unenthusiastic manner of service but I would really recommend that everyone gives this place a go for a superb curry anyway. 7.75/10