The Bear Hotel
Langstone Hotel(Hayling Island)
36 On the Quay(Emsworth)
The Crown(Emsworth)
View Hotel
All reviewsa bit tiredbeds were comfortableexcellent breakfastisle of wightportsmouth
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Do not go there!! visited Havant on business and having done so once before and made the round trip from Merseyside in one day decided that this time I would stay overnight. What a mistake I made in selecting the Bear Hotel.
No one on reception, a sign instructing one to ring 0 on the phone for attention, did so but no joy, finally went into the bar which smelled of stale beer and bad food, bar staff came through and eventually roused a receptionist.
Whilst looking for someone to deal with my booking I wandered round the back of the hotel to the dining room, completely deserted and dark, obviously saving on electricity, the place was like a cave all that were missing were the bats but then is was only 2 o clock in the afternoon! the pervading smell of damp and decay were evident throughout.
Receptionist rude, I had obviously disturbed her afternoon nap, she demanded payment up front which immediately made me very suspicious and then could not provide a receipt for payment, said the system was down.
Asked if I wanted to book dinner and when I said I would let her know was told that the restaraunt was busy as the hotel was fully booked so should do so now, did not as very suspicious
No help to find the room which was smelly dingy and truly depressing, a single bed rammed up against the window overlooking the yard where people drink, with thin nasty curtains. The furniture looked like second hand rubbish from the local house clearance shop and the carpets were grubby and the one in reception was very stained . The decor was reminiscent of the 1970's. Bathroom inadequate and grubby.
Went out into local town as the thought of spending any time in the room was too much to contemplate, concluded my business and decided that a round trip home though tiring and demanding was preferable to spending the night in this excuse for a hotel.Left my key with a bearded man who grunted at me and did not make eye contact.
Whole place is in desperate need of a complete updating the fact that it is a listed building is no excuse for the lack of repair and cleanliness.
I have since read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor about this hotel and suspect that the positive one are from 'friends of the bear hotel' or staff of Greene King. Interesting to note the formulaic response to positive comments whilst the overall negative ones receive no response. How come the place has been due for decorating etc since 2009, find another firm of decorators or close the place down.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank AndyC525
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed here for a wedding and i have to say as a stop off it isnt bad for the money but it seriously could do with a freshen up. Nothing felt clean. The carpets were stained, our cutain was hanging on by a thread, everything is very old and tired! The only redeeming part was the Dinner. We ate here on the first evening and my steak was cooked to perfection. Most of the staff were very friendly, mainly the young waiters/waitresses. If it had a refurb, this hotel could make a great place to stay but as it is now, i wouldnt stay again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My partner and I were staying at The Bear Inn as we were attending the races at Goodwood.
The hotel was average and did the job for a place to eat, sleep and get ready. On arrival we were greeted by the abrupt receptionist who didn't even look at us.
The hotel and rooms need a refurbishment and some double glazing windows as we were kept awake by noisy drinkers. The rooms were relatively clean but the en-suite had a very dodgy shower that didn't seem to want to stay on one temperature!
We ate in the restaurant and the food was alright and the staff were friendly.Breakfast on the first morning was ok, there was a sufficient amount of cereal, juice, pastries and fruit. Table service was ok and the omelette we had was edible.
On the second morning, the breakfast bar was practically empty and when asked if they were going to put out any more food, we were answered with a simple 'no, there isn't anymore' . We didn't arrive to breakfast late it was in the middle of the time frame and it wasn't a busy. I don't understand why there wasn't any food. The rest of the guests were grumbling and a few complaints were made. Table service that morning was slow and we were sat for a while before offered tea and toast. I opted for the porridge which was basically lumpy water. More staff and food was needed.
Overall, the Bear Inn did the job for us, but work is needed!

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the back of the hotel-alot quieter!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at our Old English Inn. We value all your comments, and take them on board to offer the best service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Old English Inns in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed here for a wedding, on first arrival the outside looks quaint, however, on walking through the entrance we were hit with a very stale, musty smell. As we booked through 'old English inns' we were expecting a homely, welcoming hotel, instead the interior is extremely dated and in dire need of refurbishment.
The receptionist was very friendly, however, after checking in we ventured downstairs for lunch to be greeted by a shabbily-dressed young man with an attitude. He directed us to the bar where we ordered our food. Whilst waiting for our order to be served the young man came storming out of the reception area, topless!, swearing and moaning- it turned out he was the chef!! I ordered a rump steak which they later advised wasn't available and offered me a fillet instead. I was quite happy with this, until my plate came out substantially later than my companions and was stone cold!! At that point, the delay had made us late so I didn't bother to complain. The rooms were dirty and dated. At all times there were dirty sheets and vacuums left in the corridors. This could be a beautiful hotel, but it needs major refurbishment and the staff need customer service training!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed at The Bear on the 27 and 28 July 2012. My wife daughter and myself to attend a wedding in Southsea. Easy to find, big car park. Extremely nice and welcoming staff, especially the restaurant staff, nothing too much trouble for them. Rooms need a bit of updating but beds extremely comfortable and rooms nice and clean. Loads to choose from on the breakfast menu and our one evening meal was delicious. We will definitely choose this hotel again if we needed to stay in the area. Excellent value also.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Brenda W
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012