“Very comfortable and clean: excellent at the price”
Review of The Bear Hotel

The Bear Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Havant
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed in Havant because of the pitifully early departure of the last Wightlink ferry to the Isle of Wight. Being an arctophile, I was quite excited to stay somewhere called The Bear. I had telephoned the day before to request a quiet room, and my request was taken seriously. My room overlooked a car park, but with very little evening or early morning noise. The room (indeed the entire hotel) was a little faded, but immaculately clean and with a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was excellent, too. Service was friendly and efficient. For £59 I have no complaints at all, and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is on East Street which is not very busy. However, I found my room overlooking the car par...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Thankyou for taking the time to comment. I am pleased that we met with all your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant on your return

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked online and thought the Queen Victoria and Winston Churchill historical data would make it fun. We checked with a very polite young lady. Went to the room and found the bathroom filthy. A small door next to the commode was filled with used toilet paper and worse. The toilet would not flush and did not have water running in it. We called the front desk and Julia said she would send someone up. After thirty minutes I called down to ask about being moved. Julia said no other rooms were available and no one from service could come until after ten am the next morning. We said we would have to have access to a commode before the next day and no offers were made. As of this moment they have not refunded our money.

Room Tip: We went to the Holiday Inn in Southport. It had a bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I was amazed at the hospitality of the hotel. Very good service when checking in from Julia, very polite, well mannered, smiley and very efficient! Then again when having breakfast the next day the service was great again Julia being around to help with everything making sure we was good, and her smile and politeness and excellent customer service skills go along way and she is a credit to the hotel. Emma was also fantastic service when having dinner, a great help, very polite and efficient, I would recommend this to others!

• Stayed: June 2013
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thankyou for you taking the time and trouble to highlight some of your recent experience. I am so proud that once again our staff have been mentioned for making people like your good self have a good experience

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and really couldn't fault it. There are many reviews complaining that it is run down and true, it is a little tired but everything is clean and comfortable. We stayed in a lovely room with the best bed we've ever slept in. The breakfast was one of the best we have ever had; so much selection. The evening meal was fantastic value and really tasty; 2 huge Fish and Chips for £9.95!
Without doubt this hotel encompasses what a service industry is about. The staff are so inviting and helpful. We were treated as people, not just another number. There's a real family atmosphere to the place. We will definately be returning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thankyou for your recent kind comments. It is always good to hear that people have enjoyed their stay. I can totally agree with your bed comments as we have so many and I personally have one that is simply fabulous. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Great night away with friends. Beer, food and good company added to all in all a great stay. The staff were simply the best I have seen in the uk. Having slept well in a superb bed, had a great breakfast and bid a fond farewell. We are now off to play around of gold - review that I will write dependant upon whether I hit par or not.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thankyou for your recent comments. I am glad that you and your friends had an enjoyable evening and we look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Amazing, brilliant, love it, love ry ry, love janes hospitality. Breakfast is good clean, clean rooms. Sexy staff. Bar staff great, good parking, good stella and cheap. Accommodate the best work staff. Good bar snacks. Comfy seats. Generous staff.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thankyou for your recent comments. It is always nice to hear the positives aswell as the constructive comments. We do pride ourselves on the good beds and our superb breakfast

Reviewed 18 June 2013

When I pulled up into the rear car park of this pub hotel I knew just by looking at the building this was not worth £80 B&B!

To cut a long storey short, Yes it was clean in so much as the cleaners do a great job & the bed was very comfortable, but I stay in a lot off hotels, guest houses/B&B's from £35 - £110 on average.

Thread bare carpeting through out & most of the furniture is only fit for the dump, my room was pretty basic the plug socket was so tight to the cabinet that boiling the kettle was a waste of effort, the window frames were rotten, the chair to sit on was a joke, Soiled, covered in stains & only fit for the dump.

One of my pet hates is a sink plug that lets water pass it. As quick as I was filling up the sink the water was dispersing down the plug hole, not only that but it was leaking all over the floor & I had to use the towels to soak it up.

The cooked breakfast was disgusting, I asked for 2 poached eggs & 3 pieces of well done bacon & some white toast. I got one poached egg that was virtually cold, 3 pieces of bacon that had been warmed up all swimming in grease & fat & a round of burned toast. In the end I had a cup of Luke warm coffee & a glass of orange juice.

Being a typical British citizen normally I don't complain but this time I did & asked for a reduction. The lady declined saying they have never had complaints and the room rates fluctuated depending on how busy they are ?. She asked me how much I thought it was worth I told £35. If I had paid £35 as I have done in similar establishments of this quality then I would expect nothing more. She took my credit card & duly charged me £80!!!!

I will not be going back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Deryckhart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havant
The Crown
Brookfield Hotel
Brookfield Hotel
#1 of 4 in Emsworth
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!