“Can I Have some Porridge please.”
Review of The Bear Hotel

The Bear Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Havant
Reviewed 1 November 2013

After a good nights sleep apart from the noise of the kitchen extractor fans next morning I along with my dog Cola went down for breakfast ,my table just a few yards away from the main Dining Area was not set for a meal as were the others in the Main Dining Area I got up from my table went into theDining Area and asked the waiter to come to my table so that I could be served with a bowl of porridge as a starter only to be told that as I was having a cooked breakfast this was only on the al a carte menu. All these problems with this issue which was not resolved,have made me not want to stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank davidmatthews999

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Spent one night there bathroom accident waiting to happen, kettle in room had to be boiled on floor as no plugs at table level room bare and spartan carpets thread bare hotel shabby bar/restaurant very dark as lots of lights not working. It may claim to be old and historic but this is no excuse for dirty,unsafe and unkempt.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maddie C
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The first concern was trying to haul a suitcase up three flights of very narrow curved stairs and three fire doors!
Once in the room we realized what a mistake we had made with our booking, the carpet seemed to have polish or a silicone on it which made it slippery the bathroom floor was an accident waiting to happen it was on a slope and had very smooth vinyl, my friend lost her balance and nearly knocked her head on the wall. she had to put the rubber bath mat on the floor for us to stand on. There were large patches of plaster coming out of the wall and the windows rattled.
The menu looked nice but the dinner was sadly very poor and tasteless we did complain and the restaurant supervisor did take most of the dinner bill off of our account.
The gentleman that checked us out did not enquire if we had had a good stay and did not seem to care, maybe this is why the hotel is run down, shabby and dirty, there were so many bulbs not working the hotel it was dark in many areas especially the restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ruth M
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thankyou for taking the time to comment. I apologise for not reaching the standard that you expected. The Stairs are unfortunately characteristic of the 1800 building. The lights is the restaurant are deliberatly dimmed so that the candles on the tables give off a more warm cosy atmosphere

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We have stayed here a few times and have stayed in a variety of rooms. Only one has been ok....40 I think?
I know that is an old, historic building, but the hotel really needs to be modernised. The bathrooms aren't great. Many rooms have two beds pushed together to create a "King" which is a pet hate of mine, and makes for an uncomfortable nights sleep.

Two of the rooms stayed in have had no remote control for the television

Rooms 20 & 24 have incredibly sloped floors. Room 20 - I had a terrible nights sleep as I felt as if I was falling out of the bed, feet first! The bathroom in 20 was also very cramped, although the shower was nice and powerful. Room 24, the floor was sloped to the side, so again I felt as if I would fall out of the side.

Lumpy pillows and duvets, but the rooms have all been clean, as has the laundry and bed linen.

The hotel is always busy because of it's location which is why I don't think it's tries that hard to improve. A shame as it is a lovely building with character, and the staff are very friendly.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 20!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

I am sorry that you have had cause to post some points that you feel are negative. Unfortunately the floors in our 200 year old building do have the tendancy to slope, which some people find characterful.I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I stopped 1night , not clean , the carpets were threadbare , no lift no gin at at the bar only a few drinks , the staff not helpful at all , the tables were dirty and sticky , the doors banging I had no food did not want to risk it , never again, was like stopping in rising damp / faulty towers in a bad way.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank StokeDogman

I am sorry that you have had cause to review the hotel negatively but thankyou for your comments

Reviewed 23 October 2013

quite simply the rooms are amazingly small full of dust, carpets are stained, floors uneaven, and smell musty,
the only plus side to the room was that the bedding was clean and the small bed was comfortable,

The resteraunt food was however really good and would reccomend although it was slightly expensive, The staff were friendly and accomadating ,
The bar is competatively priced so no complaints there,
Also car park is free for guests,
So on the whole , i would not reccomend staying in the hotel, I suppose if you had to 1 night max at a push but no longer than that. I have rated this hotel as poor but this applies to the rooms and overnight accomodation only, No real complaints about Food, Drink prices and breckfast ect

Room Tip: front of hotel faces a road close to hotel/bar so noise might be a problem the rooms at the rear fac...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank dave w
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel proudly states that Winston Churchill stayed here. The problem is that the rooms, carpets and furniture furnishings are probably unchanged since his visit. It is on the shabby side of characterful. Sorely in need of an update.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kevin B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havant
Langstone Hotel
Travelodge Havant Rowlands Castle Hotel
Farmhouse & Innlodge
Farmhouse & Innlodge
#31 of 39 in Portsmouth

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!