The Bear Hotel
Langstone Hotel(Hayling Island)
36 On the Quay(Emsworth)
The Crown(Emsworth)
View Hotel
All reviewsa bit tiredbeds were comfortableexcellent breakfastisle of wightportsmouth
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed in this hotel last night after having found it on the internet and can only describe the experience as having left a sicky feeling in the stomach! Dark and gloomy the climb to our room was arduous to say the least. Up and down and around tight corners in gloomy light over worn carpets then down narrow steps into our room! A strange little room with sloping ceilings and two narrow steps up into a fair size bathroom the floor of which sloped down to the right. So much in fact when sitting on the toilet you coud feel yourself sliding to the right! Whether this caused the sicky feeling we both experienced or was it the brackish taste of the water! The tea and coffee in the room and downstairs tasted the same. All the windows were grimy. . We did sleep ok but then the electric went off so no hot water or cooked breakfast not the Hotel's fault as whole town affected but staff not bothered about it.. Location is good right in middle of Havant with ample parking behind but overall could do with bit of make over "tired and worn" is the right description of it even the bar was gloomy. On the internet looked good but the reality was a disappointment so would not book there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lynndamarycrockford
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thankyou for taking the time to comment, as we read all the feedback and will act accordingly. I am sorry that your stay was not the best. I can only apologise for long windy stairs up to your room and the fact that the experience in the bathroom made you feel unwell. The water in the south of England is extremely hard water and may be a little different to what you are used to.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We met up with some family members so there were 7 of us staying in total and we had dinner in the restaurant. The food and wine were average and we were very surprised to be told that we could not have anything else to drink at 11.00pm bearing in mind we were all residents. So our family evening was cut rather short! Our room was okay, functional and had the basics but is ready for an overhaul. Overall though it's good value for money because you don't get much for £65 these days and it does includ breakfast which had a varied selection

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Frostipops
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My bed was comfortable, the bed linen clean and white, the towels were fine, loads of hot water, tea tray and hanging space. The staff were lovely and friendly and I had a good breakfast with real fresh fruit and lovely bacon and fresh tomatoes. The dog and I had a perfectly pleasant night for the price.
The building is tired and worn, but certainly not dangerous!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2013

After a good nights sleep apart from the noise of the kitchen extractor fans next morning I along with my dog Cola went down for breakfast ,my table just a few yards away from the main Dining Area was not set for a meal as were the others in the Main Dining Area I got up from my table went into theDining Area and asked the waiter to come to my table so that I could be served with a bowl of porridge as a starter only to be told that as I was having a cooked breakfast this was only on the al a carte menu. All these problems with this issue which was not resolved,have made me not want to stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank davidmatthews999
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Spent one night there bathroom accident waiting to happen, kettle in room had to be boiled on floor as no plugs at table level room bare and spartan carpets thread bare hotel shabby bar/restaurant very dark as lots of lights not working. It may claim to be old and historic but this is no excuse for dirty,unsafe and unkempt.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends