“Not for me”
Review of The Bear Hotel

The Bear Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Havant
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Although I appreciated the ancient building, unfortunately not enough care has been taken to ensure that guests are happy. I had booked a single room which turned out to be at the very top of the buliding. I am somewhat disabled and found it impossible to access with my bags. They found another room for me but even that involved several steps. The room was adequate and the bed comfy but I became too warm and was unable to open the window. The bathroom has seen better days and the toilet seat was broken. A nearly empty bottle of hair/shower gel was offered plus some handcream. However, the shower was very powerful. Breakfast was plentiful but the service was disorganised. The eggs were not cooked and the tea was not hot. Another sausage and mushroom would not have gone amiss either. The staff were courteous but not over friendly; they seem to be talking from a rehearsed script. I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to appear to check me out. Overall, not an experience I wish to repeat.

Room Tip: only book if prepared for a climb
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thankyou for taking the time to comment on your recent visit. I am sorry that you found your stay to be less than you expected. Should you wish to return in the future if you could request a room that is nearer the stairs I am sure that we will be able to accommodate you.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I guess sometimes negative reviews can be a good thing! After booking this hotel because it was the nearest and cheapest to where I wanted to be, I read the reviews (yes I know I should have read them first!) So I went not expecting too much. So I was pleasantly surprised!
All the staff were friendly and helpful, our bed (Room 48) was huge and VERY comfortable. Car parking was easy, food was ok. our room was clean and well appointed. And lovely and warm to come back to on a cold, wet, windy February night.
Yes the carpets were threadbare, the décor tired and dated (looked like the last refurb was in the 70s!) But we enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay again (unless they have a refurb and put the prices up!!!) My only complaint? I think the management could have arranged better weather for us!!!!!

Room Tip: Bit of a hike up to room 48, but nice and quiet, and we could see our car in the car park.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CasandandyWales
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thankyou for your positive review. I am glad that the experience encountered was better than you had read. I will endeavour to ensure that on your next visit that the weather is much better.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here whilst attending a fund raising event at a local club, which included a charity raffle. When we were making the booking this was mentioned and when checking in we were given a voucher for a meal for 2 at the hotel to be raffled. I thought this was a wonderful gesture and once again thank you.

Now to the hotel, yes its an old building the floor boards creak, the carpets are very worn and some of the rooms are a bit difficult to get to. The rooms are very well presented, very warm on arrival and very clean. For me one thing in its favour was the fact you can open the windows which was a blessing. I see from previous reviews that the manager hopes it will get refurbished soon, I certainly hope it does.

For the price paid which included a lovely breakfast I thought this was tremendous value and would have no hesitation in staying here again. I just hope it does get updated as the staff deserve the best.

Room Tip: the rooms to the rear have easier access
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank timat22

Much appreciate your positive comments and glad that we met your expectations. We hope that we are gifted with some modernisation soon aswell. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Was perfectly happy with a large room and clean surroundings. Bed really comfy. The only thing a bit strange was that if you do not leave before 11am then you don't get your room serviced that day, but it didn't bother me unduly. It was in a convenient spot, good system for free car parking and always a space available. Newspaper offered if you wished to pre-arrange one. I would certainly return, it's a lovely old building and it was warm and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank vinevisitors2010

Thankyou for your review. It is always nice to hear that people had enjoyed their stay. We look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed at the Bear for three nights. Generally, the hotel is what I classify as a ‘distressed Gentlewoman”! In terms of décor it has seen better days. However, having said that:

1. The room was warm and very comfortable.
2. The bed was very comfortable.
3. The bathroom worked fine.
4. The staff were very pleasant at all times.
5. The restaurant was fine. Great English breakfast and perfectly acceptable dinner fayre.

All in all I enjoyed my stay and the rate was terrific for what I got. I would most definitely return…and the likelihood is I will be going back to Havant.

Room Tip: I had room 42. It overlooks the back car park so it is quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GaiusMagnus

Thankyou for your recent review. I am so glad that you found your stay better than you had been led to think otherwise. We do pride ourselves on our staff and genuinely love meeting new guests as well as enjoying regular guests company. I do hope that we will see you again in the not too distant future

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed 4 nights for our wedding anniversary our room was large, clean the bed was one of the best we have ever had in a hotel. One thing we didn't like was the t.v. was on the far wall
too far for to to see well from the bed but there was 2 chairs we could have used. The food in the resurant was good 3 course for under a tenner my husband is a Coleliac and they know about that and we had two nice meals there. The breakfast is very good the staff were friendly and helpfull. Plenty of free parking you can walk to the shops in Havant. We would stay here again.

We would stay here again it was good value for money.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank parkgirl2013
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The bear is a very old coaching inn with buckets of character, it has a large restaurant , good sized bar and small but comfy rooms.Ours was up in the eaves , it was on an incline and just off of square as you would expect of a building this antique.The room was tidy, well equipped and pleasant.The restaurant is very spacious, the food is just about average , you would be advised to eat out at the local Indian or Chinese restaurants if you want to enjoy a good meal , if it's just something to fill a gap then the food is adequate at best.Having said that the staff were lovely , chatty and most helpful.There is a huge free car park and the hotel is 20 minutes drive from Portsmouth and its attractions , even less distance from the charming market town of Chichester and just an hour away from Brighton so it is very well positioned to explore the Sussex/ Hants border.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floor are smaller but quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cashmolic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havant
The Crown
Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
#17 of 39 in Portsmouth
Travelodge Havant Rowlands Castle Hotel

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!