“A lovely place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Havant
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We have stayed at the Bear Hotel on numerous occasions, the latest was last night. The Bear is an Olde Inn, NOT a modern building built to look like an Olde inn. It has original 'real' beams so don't go expecting it to be like a new building. The floor boards creak & the rooms are not symmetrical. The furniture suits the surroundings.We had a comfortable stay and the bed was one of the best i have slept in in any hotel or guest house anywhere in the world including Top hotels. The staff are friendly & welcoming. Which is one of the reasons we returned. The breakfast was really good with lots of choice

Room Tip: The stairs are steep and there is no lift so anyone with trouble with stairsshould ask for alow floo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed in The Bear hotel whilst attending a wedding on Hayling Island. A bit tricky to find the car park, but once we did plenty of parking available. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was a bit shabby but clean and tidy and suitable for our needs. The floor was very slanted which greatly amuse us and added to our experience. Overall a pleasant hotel that we wouldn't hesitate to book again. One suggestion would be a veggie breakfast as an option, as not much choice if you don't eat meat.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dawn C
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thankyou for your recent comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Your vegetarian comment has been duly noted and I am sure that we will be able to provide more of an extended option on your return.
London.England
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Hubby and I stayed at the Bear Hotel last Friday night breaking our journey to Bishop's Waltham. We found the staff friendly and welcoming, our room was large and we even had TWO CHAIRS, something other places can take note of and a real bugbear of mine. Normally one of us sits on THE CHAIR and the other on the bed and as we are in our 70's that is not really acceptable, small rooms can even choose FOLDING CHAIRS! We had a nice en-suite and although it was an extremely hot night we slept well. Our breakfast was very good and we thoroughly enjoyed it and our whole stay so thank you Bear Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thankyou for your such great comments. It is always good to hear positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at this Hotel for a weekend 19-21st July, my husband booked this as we was going to see my niece who had just had a baby. We have never been to the area before, but could not have stayed at a most welcoming place, from start to finish. yes it is basic could do with a some titivating up, but the room was clean and comfortable, the staff were very polite and could not do enough for you. On chatting to 2 different couples while we were there they have stayed before, and we all agreed cannot fault the service. The train station is about 3 minutes walk, we used it to go to portsmouth harbour, then next day to portsmouth&southsea, the trains are very regular in fact we fell lucky on all the journeys we did not have to wait, the trains were in, also the price is good £4.70 return couldn't get parking for that for the day. My husband and I are in agreement we would stay here again. may be next year for little ones 1st bday

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thankyou for your comments. We like to pride ourselves on having great customer service and all the staff will be so pleased that they have been recognised. We look forward to your return 1st birthday visit.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I just stayed for a single night, and it wasn't myself that chose it, but reading the reviews I think they are being hard done to.

Yes it could do with a make over, furniture and carpets are past their best, but the staff are excellent really coming across like they are trying. Feeling like they want you to be there is not that common these days.

Rooms are basic, but beds are comfy and room is as clean as the old decor allows. Free wi-fi, inclusive (good) breakfast for about 50 quid in a good location.

You know it's not 5 star when you book if you read reviews, but it's not nearly as bad as some would suggest.

I ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was good and reasonably priced.

I would return if nearby.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank simplemick
Thankyou for taking the time to comment. We look forward to seeing you return soon.
Swansea
Reviewed 8 July 2014

after our dissapointing benidorm break we are so glad that we booked the bear for a 4 day chill out before returning to work.we requested room 21 and we got it,a room overlooking the road but not noisey and very quirky. breakfasts were of the usual standard and we were remembered by the manager and staff which is always nice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thankyou for your comments. I am sorry that your trip abroad was not great but am glad that we have helped somewhat to ease that experience. We always try to do the best that we can in order to ensure that all our guests enjoy their experience with us. I am sure that on your next visit we will remember you again
Bourne
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 night as I was working in the area. The room was in need of a coat of paint. And I had to put the pillows at the bottom of the bed.as the floor sloped badly and when I lay on the bed normaly my feet were higher than my head.so I had my feet at the head board end..amusing really. The hotel is in need of a refurbishment. It smells musty. And of tcp.the staff work hard and are very helpful. .my stay here was ok..and my room was cleaned daily. And thay have free wifi through out the hotel

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thankyou for your comments. Old English Inns do operate an investment programme and I am sure that in the not too distant future that this will be forthcoming. We look forward to welcoming you on your return
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havant
Brookfield Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North
Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
#18 of 38 in Portsmouth

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!