“Hidden Gem”
Review of West Green House

West Green House
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Hook
More attraction details
Owner description: A stunning ten acre garden restored by Australian garden designer Marylyn Abbott over the last twenty years. Combining a classical Lakefield design with a blend of formal and informal planting, English traditions and Australian flair, West Green offers intimacy and spectacle in a country setting. Access to the beautiful Victorian greenhouses is included and a visit to the formally planted vegetable garden is a must! West Green also offers a Tea Room and shop, is entirely accessible for those with limited mobility and each year hosts the West Green House Season of Music and Opera in July, Please note that West Green House is privately owned and not open to the general public.
London, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The title sums this up a bit - i really is hidden. Despite Google Maps we almost gave up and drove past it once, only to find a sign pointing in the other direction. The National Trust really does need to sort that out.
Once there it was a joy. The garden is surprisingly large and the joy of the garden is the series of garden rooms and paths. The planting is not conventional, a lovely mix of vegetables, fruit and flowers so don't expect overflowing flower borders. Again that is part of the charm.
My only real gripe was the tea rooms. The scones weren't great and it wasn't clotted cream either.
Just shows my age I guess but if you are going to one of the bigger houses or just driving down the M3 with a couple of hours to kill please give it a go.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank SimonSJO

basildon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“one to miss :(”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

no national trust signposts to this property.Now we know why sadly the worst national trust property we have visited and there has been a few. We had to wait about 10 minutes for someone to attend to our entry as there was nobody there,We found the tea rooms bad value for money and the CAT wandering in and out of our feet while we was eating off putting and frankly unhygienic.The apple trees were wonderful sadly no signs to give any information as to what variety they all was which would have been nice.We spent one and a quarter hours there and could not wait to leave,have read other reviews that seem good but for the life of me can not think of one positive thing to write I am only glad we got in on a corporate members pass and didn't have to pay!!!!!

Visited September 2013
5 Thank debrauphilll
London, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Small but stunning”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

It's relatively small but very well kept
beautiful garden, the sound of running water made me feel very calm

Visited July 2013
portsmouth
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Nice but not outstanding”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have been to several National Trust houses and gardens but sadly I do not regard West Green House Garden as one of the finest. The gardens are nice enough but quite small and whilst I accept that the flower, fruit and vegetable gardens are well tended colourful and attractive , that the water and other features are pleasant, somehow this place did not set me alight with a desire to return. I also regard the £8 entrance charge as excessive as are the tea shop prices. Two tiny scones with a couple of teaspoons of jam and cream with a couple of coffees at £8-50 did not strike me as reasonable. Should you elect to use the toilets be prepared to experience the most basic and cramped of facilities. There is no hot water and the toilet walls and doors are made of a thin sheet of ply such that you can hear every move in the adjoining cubicle. It does not take long to walk around the grounds within which is a small lake and some interesting features including one to the gardener who looked after gardens for 40 years. I appreciate that my view of these gardens and facilities is largely at variance with those of other reviewers but I would not be being honest with myself if I rated them as other than average.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank alangee
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Peacful”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was a bit worried it would be very busy as it is the school holidays but it was not cramped at all and very peaceful. So happy we found this garden as it's close to home. The walled garden is beautiful and I loved the Apple trees. Lovely tea gardens. The garden are beautifully laid out and well worth a visit

Visited August 2013