“Another successful visit”
Review of West Green House

West Green House
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Hook
More attraction details
Owner description: A stunning ten acre garden restored by Australian garden designer Marylyn Abbott over the last twenty years. Combining a classical Lakefield design with a blend of formal and informal planting, English traditions and Australian flair, West Green offers intimacy and spectacle in a country setting. Access to the beautiful Victorian greenhouses is included and a visit to the formally planted vegetable garden is a must! West Green also offers a Tea Room and shop, is entirely accessible for those with limited mobility and each year hosts the West Green House Season of Music and Opera in July, Please note that West Green House is privately owned and not open to the general public.
Guildford, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Another successful visit”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

First visit of 2014 today - beautiful spring planting, evidence of much preparation for the new season after such bad winter conditions. A work of art as always.

Loved the beautifully structured wood piles adjacent to the parking area!

Visited March 2014

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“West Green House”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Worth a visit but not cheap to enter.
Lovely gardens (no access to the house) especially the walled kitchen garden and fruit cages. A good sized lake in the centre of the gardens provides for aquatic plants and wildlife.
There is a small cafe for a light snack, set in an 'Alice in Wonderland' themed courtyard.

Visited August 2013
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A lovely spot”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is fairly local to me so I have visited it over the years and at different times. I think late spring/early summer is probably the best time to go. The colour combinations of the beds in the main garden are very well done but I think they are not quite as good as they were some years ago but maybe I have just become accustomed after so many visits. This won't stop me visiting though! The pond area has developed over the years and is now a very lovely spot. The new serpentine walk way at the top of the garden is nicely laid out and is very peaceful. Don't forget to say hello to the chickens in their fabulous coup. Plants and refreshments are on the expensive side. I agree with others about the signage - I think I found it more or less by chance on the first occasion. Getting in and out of the car park can be a bit iffy sometimes if there are others coming the other way. I don't know why there isn't an 'in' entrance at the bottom of the parking field to make a one-way system so as to avoid the hold ups at busy times. NT visiting times are now extended so better value for members. Probably quite a difficult garden for wheelchair users - my mother just about coped with her three-wheeled walker but was always happy to visit.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The title sums this up a bit - i really is hidden. Despite Google Maps we almost gave up and drove past it once, only to find a sign pointing in the other direction. The National Trust really does need to sort that out.
Once there it was a joy. The garden is surprisingly large and the joy of the garden is the series of garden rooms and paths. The planting is not conventional, a lovely mix of vegetables, fruit and flowers so don't expect overflowing flower borders. Again that is part of the charm.
My only real gripe was the tea rooms. The scones weren't great and it wasn't clotted cream either.
Just shows my age I guess but if you are going to one of the bigger houses or just driving down the M3 with a couple of hours to kill please give it a go.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank SimonSJO
basildon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“one to miss :(”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

no national trust signposts to this property.Now we know why sadly the worst national trust property we have visited and there has been a few. We had to wait about 10 minutes for someone to attend to our entry as there was nobody there,We found the tea rooms bad value for money and the CAT wandering in and out of our feet while we was eating off putting and frankly unhygienic.The apple trees were wonderful sadly no signs to give any information as to what variety they all was which would have been nice.We spent one and a quarter hours there and could not wait to leave,have read other reviews that seem good but for the life of me can not think of one positive thing to write I am only glad we got in on a corporate members pass and didn't have to pay!!!!!

Visited September 2013