“A good choice when visiting the area”
Review of Raven Hotel

Raven Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Hook
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend, as the closest to where she lived. It's right across the car park from the train station, so couldn't be more convenient to get to.

Interestingly, you can book sundry extras with the room - a box of chocolates, a bottle of champagne, a hotel restaurant reservation. I thought a box of chocolates sounded nice, but they forgot to leave them in my room. When I asked at reception, the lady at the desk couldn't have been more helpful - she remembered them being ordered, but didn't know where they were kept, to give me one! Anyway, I headed out, and when I returned, a box of Thornton's Premium was sitting on my bedside locker.

The free Wi-Fi was very handy, and staff unfailingly friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, and included in the (very reasonable) price, although the second morning I was there, there had been a lot of guests the night before and the breakfast area was packed. Probably the reason for the extremely long delay on my cooked breakfast - I had to remind them eventually, I think they'd forgotten. (Hint: I found the beans quite tasteless and the bacon salty. But maybe that's just me! The rest was delicious.)

I have just a few quibbles. Firstly, my room (33) was in the loft - which, in itself, is fine - and the path to it is well signposted. But o my, what a lot of staircases to haul my case up! Actually, I don't see how they can remedy this, what with the shape of the building. However, it was torture. And - a word to the wise - certainly this room, and probably many others, are more easily reached through the door at the far side of reception - numbered Rooms 1-15. You won't know your way until you've gone the long way, however, which is signposted.

The room was too hot the first night, and the walls seem quite thin. I recommend earplugs. The flush buttons on the toilet are very hard to press - I had to have a second try - and would be impossible for anyone with arthritis in their fingers. And once I had lowered the bathroom blind, it stuck and I couldn't raise it again. Recommendation - don't touch it!

Having said that, the bed was possibly the comfiest I've ever slept in, and overall I had a really pleasant stay. I would stay again - and the advantage of one of those attic rooms is that you're further away from the noise..

Room Tip: Higher rooms mean further to climb, but are further away from noise from traffic, trains, and the ba...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed here for weekend recently with family and friends
We had a great weekend here
Couldn't,t fault the food at dinner and breakfast
Friendly staff gave good service including rapid check-in
Good atmosphere in bar in evening
Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I've stayed here a few times now, and have no complaints whatsoever. Its great value for money, the service is faultless, food is fabulous. The staff are always very helpful and attentive, and make an effort to get to know regular guests. The rooms are very clean, and nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Staff were friendly and attentive. Room was pleasant enough; bed was comfortable and clean and LCD tv provided. Bathroom and corridors looking a little dated and could do with an upgrade which almost made me score 3. I'm putting 4 as the breakfast was excellent and the young girl and gent who served it were very pleasant. I stayed on business and would use again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2013

One night stay on way to Guilford. Good location. Room basic but for price paid we weren't expecting much. We didn't have a kettle in the room which was purely an oversight so no big deal. Room we had there was a lot of fan noise so didn't sleep much. Staff very friendly and at breakfast there was a good choice to choose from which was cooked and presented well.

Room Tip: I had a room over looking reception which had bad fan noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SandyB1722
Reviewed 2 September 2013

There is nothing exceptional about this hotel but it deserves it's excellent rating because it ticks all the boxes. The room is typically small but clean and well equipped. The staff friendly and welcoming. The breakfast very enjoyable and well cooked. It is extremely good value for money. The following week we paid twice this price in Yorkshire for half the enjoyment! We stayed there as part of a wedding party with the event elsewhere but the Hotel was very accommodating in letting us check in before noon so we could get keys for our expected late return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We chose the Raven because of it's location at the rail station in Hook. Trains run back into London Waterloo every half hour. You can stay here for a fraction of the price you would in London and their included full English breakfast is an added benefit. The rooms are clean and attractive. The staff is friendly and helpful. The Raven is a hidden gem and makes the London area much more affordable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
1 mi away
The Kingsley at Eversley
Red Lion Hotel Basingstoke
Red Lion Hotel Basingstoke
#9 of 13 in Basingstoke

Been to Raven Hotel? Share your experiences!