“Hook Stay”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hook
hot70000000000000
“Hook Stay”
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here prior to a local conference.

The hotel is a busy one I suspect that this is because it is located next to Hook Railway Station.

The welcome was fine and helpful and I was directed to my room on the first floor, which was up two sets of stairs which was a struggle. The hotel has no lift, so if you have issues or a large case ask for a ground floor room.

The rooms themselves are tidy and clean but dated. My bed was very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was OK, had to wait to be seated and had to ask for a coffee refill, staff in the restaurant need to be more attentive.

For an overnighter my stay was OK, but next time I think I might just look at travelling in from Reading / Basingstoke.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank hot70000000000000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Abersoch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We have stayed at the Raven a few times and the service just gets better.
The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and nothing is too much trouble. We have needed flexibility in bookings recently and the management have dealt with these effectively.
The food is excellent and there is plenty of choice and the breakfast sets you up for the day.
The hotel and the rooms are very clean and are kept well by the housekeepers.
By its nature the hotel is rambling and it is best to ask for a convenient room if mobility etc is a problem.
There is plenty of choice in the rooms to cater for all demands.
The hotel is well positioned close to the station for trains to London and the M3 junction is a mile or so away so travel needs are well met.
We are looking forward to staying again later in the year.

Room Tip: Just ask reception explaining your needs and they will try their best to meet them.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed here twice over the last three weeks and enjoyed both stays. The staff couldn't do enough and my rooms were both clean. Breakfast service and food in the morning was excellent and the pub in the evening was pleasant enough. It has a large car park and is conveniently located close to Hook Train Station with half-hourly trains to London or alternatively right on the doorstep of the beautiful Hampshire countryside. Definitely staying here again when I come home!

Matt,
Melbourne, Australia

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, but it doesn't make too much difference.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend, as the closest to where she lived. It's right across the car park from the train station, so couldn't be more convenient to get to.

Interestingly, you can book sundry extras with the room - a box of chocolates, a bottle of champagne, a hotel restaurant reservation. I thought a box of chocolates sounded nice, but they forgot to leave them in my room. When I asked at reception, the lady at the desk couldn't have been more helpful - she remembered them being ordered, but didn't know where they were kept, to give me one! Anyway, I headed out, and when I returned, a box of Thornton's Premium was sitting on my bedside locker.

The free Wi-Fi was very handy, and staff unfailingly friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, and included in the (very reasonable) price, although the second morning I was there, there had been a lot of guests the night before and the breakfast area was packed. Probably the reason for the extremely long delay on my cooked breakfast - I had to remind them eventually, I think they'd forgotten. (Hint: I found the beans quite tasteless and the bacon salty. But maybe that's just me! The rest was delicious.)

I have just a few quibbles. Firstly, my room (33) was in the loft - which, in itself, is fine - and the path to it is well signposted. But o my, what a lot of staircases to haul my case up! Actually, I don't see how they can remedy this, what with the shape of the building. However, it was torture. And - a word to the wise - certainly this room, and probably many others, are more easily reached through the door at the far side of reception - numbered Rooms 1-15. You won't know your way until you've gone the long way, however, which is signposted.

The room was too hot the first night, and the walls seem quite thin. I recommend earplugs. The flush buttons on the toilet are very hard to press - I had to have a second try - and would be impossible for anyone with arthritis in their fingers. And once I had lowered the bathroom blind, it stuck and I couldn't raise it again. Recommendation - don't touch it!

Having said that, the bed was possibly the comfiest I've ever slept in, and overall I had a really pleasant stay. I would stay again - and the advantage of one of those attic rooms is that you're further away from the noise..

Room Tip: Higher rooms mean further to climb, but are further away from noise from traffic, trains, and the ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed here for weekend recently with family and friends
We had a great weekend here
Couldn't,t fault the food at dinner and breakfast
Friendly staff gave good service including rapid check-in
Good atmosphere in bar in evening
Would definitely stay again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I've stayed here a few times now, and have no complaints whatsoever. Its great value for money, the service is faultless, food is fabulous. The staff are always very helpful and attentive, and make an effort to get to know regular guests. The rooms are very clean, and nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Staff were friendly and attentive. Room was pleasant enough; bed was comfortable and clean and LCD tv provided. Bathroom and corridors looking a little dated and could do with an upgrade which almost made me score 3. I'm putting 4 as the breakfast was excellent and the young girl and gent who served it were very pleasant. I stayed on business and would use again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
Lismoyne Hotel
#1 of 4 in Fleet
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
The Kingsley at Eversley

Been to Raven Hotel? Share your experiences!