“our wedding day”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Hook
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“our wedding day”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We had our civil partnership here in august, Fantastic hotel for a wedding venue. Tim couldn't of been more helpful and helped to make our day magical. Also all the staff were great and were kept busy by our guest's but kept smiling.
The grounds are amazing as is the truely english house. All of our guest's complimented the hotel and the staff. they made our day, I must recommend the bbq menu if you are looking for fantastic food.

We had some high demands and Tim was full of idea's to help and dealt with our last min requests.

The room's were so comfortable and clean and breakfast was fantastic.

Thanks again Tim for helping with our high demands and making our day so amazing.

Room Tip: The room with the 4 poster bed was great but our guest stayed up drinking till late and you could he...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jaks86

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
farnborough
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I have contacted the Hook hose hotel for the second time and for the second time been spoken to badly, 'Tim' whoever he is is rude, and not helpful at all. If your getting married, i wouldnt bother, because apparently this man doesnt want the custom.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sam_hayles
hookhouse, Owner at Hook House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Never met the person who has written this review. However like any business we get potential clients requesting something that we wouldnt normally get involved with, generally price related and therefore 'bad business'. Often for example couples want just an evening buffet here, when we require the full day complete with sit down Wedding Breakfast.
Please find actual bridal reviews on hitched.co.uk and see what service we really offer.
Gloucester UK
Reviewed 22 December 2010

This is exactly the sort of hotel I love staying in when I am away from home - small(ish), friendly , comfortable and with very palatable food.

I really ought to say 'Don't Stay' - but that would only be so that I could ensure there was a room available for me - I have already had to stay elsewhere because the hotel was full, I never want that problem again!!! But I can only be honets - stay here and you will have a great stay, much better than you will get in the faceless huge identical chain hotels ( I hate them!!!)

The food is prepared and presented to a high standard, and I have tried most things on the restaurant menu, and can find no fault, somethings I would rarely have only from the point of view of personal taste. The rooms are smallish but comfortable and have all the usual stuff, trouser press, Digital TV (very SMALL TV!! - bring binoculars), Tea and Coffee making, phone, alarm etc. Beds are lovely and warm (especially at th e moment in th emiddle of a freeze) and probably comfortable (that is always an individual thing isn't it?) I am not joking about the TV, it really is very small. King John beer in the bar and a pot of nibbles always go down well with a read of the papers before dinner.

Tim greets and chats and is a good host and the staff are all really pleasant, it is always nice when they remember your name I think, brownie points to them for that.

I think if I was looking for a minus point it would have to be the WiFi - it is free, it works, but is very slow and small bandwidth. It does struggle to keep up with me sometimes, which, from a business use, is a bit of a nuisance.

Really, I don't want to rate it highly because you, dear reader, might book a room and that may mean I have to stay elsewhere, so as i do have to give it an honest high rating, I have put plan B in place, I now book up well in advance. So perhaps it is you that will miss out and have to go elsewhere. Now that would be a shame :-)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Reeley
hookhouse, Owner at Hook House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. You will be pleased to know wifi has now been outsourced professionally to great benefit of upload speeds to our customers. Tv's are also now upgraded. Look forward to seeing you again.
UK
Reviewed 13 November 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night in July this year. The reason for my stay was that my sister had her wedding reception here. The day was perfect, the staff were very helpful and friendly throughout both the planning period and the weddding itself. We took over the whole hotel for the wedding, everyone was more than happy with the rooms, due to the natural of this old english hotel some of the rooms did have slopping ceilings but this just added to the charm of the whole hotel. I managed to forget my wash things in the hurry of the day so the hotel very kindly provided me with a new toothbrush, toothpaste and mouth wasth all free of charge. The breakfast was very well cooked and presented in the morning. I had a full english breakfast but there was much more on offer. Overall we had a lovely stay at this beautiful hotel and would def recommend it to all.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissSapphireUk
Ilminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I stayed at this hotel for just one night whilst on a business trip with a colleague, it was booked for me by my company. Set in its own pleasant grounds, the Hook House is located on the outskirts of the village of Hook just a few minutes drive from the M3. Whilst the hotel did have a nice, comfortable feel about it, I have to say that overall I was a little disappointed with my stay. I was allocated a well-equipped double room on the second (top) floor, however, despite the comfortable double bed, I would only ever consider it a single occupancy room. As you will able to see from my photographs, the rooms were smallish ‘dormer’ rooms with sloping walls which would make it extremely claustrophobic for the person on the side of bed nearest the wall. It also caused me a problem in the bathroom, as I could not stand upright in front of the mirror to shave! There was also only one comfy chair. Although the weather was cool during my visit, my colleague who had stayed here before stated that the top rooms get very hot and stuffy during the Summer months. Even during my stay it certainly felt stuffy and the presence of a large (and noisy) freestanding air conditioning unit seemed to bear out that temperature was a problem. We didn’t stay in the hotel for dinner as it seemed extremely quiet, but walked about 15 minutes into the village centre which has a couple of restaurants and more lively pubs. We ate in the dining room for breakfast, but for some reason they had decided to only use a portion of the room which in effect reduced its capacity such that there was not enough room for every one to sit comfortably. This had the effect of putting pressure on the serving staff who seemed intent of getting everyone in and out as quickly as possible – not an ideal start for those wanting a pleasant relaxing breakfast before a busy working day. In fact they were so rushed, they didn’t bother to take our order properly. Even before we sat down or had a chance to look at the menu , my colleague was asked if he wanted a cooked breakfast, he said yes, but they didn’t ask exactly what and just brought along a full fried, whereas he wanted poached eggs on toast. When he queried it, the waitress told him that’s what he’d ordered and did not offer to change it – not wishing to make a fuss, he reluctantly accepted it. That notwithstanding, the food provided was very nice. So would I stay here again? I would give it a second chance if I were given one of the seemingly better rooms on the first floor, and making sure that the waiting staff fully understood my breakfast requirements.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Old_Waspy
hookhouse, Owner at Hook House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
Thank you for your extensive review on our Hotel. Free standing Air-con units are a prevention rather than cure, and are widely appreciated by our residents, as is our free wi-fi. The rooms are never over sold and are recommended for one person only. Hence only one chair in the room. King Bed middle floor rooms are available on request and are ideal for doubles. Higher rates apply. Apologies on your breakfast experience, breakfasts are always freshly cooked. The breakfast room is now smaller due to a larger conference facility. With 20 rooms the room comforatbly sits 16, so never are all the tables used at once as breakfast is over a 2 hour serving period.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
Raven Hotel
The Kingsley at Eversley
The Elvetham
The Elvetham
#1 of 1 in Hartley Wintney

Been to Hook House Hotel? Share your experiences!