“A Home for Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Hook
Liversedge, United Kingdom
“A Home for Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

For a solo, female business traveller, it is hard sometimes to find a place that feels secure and a home from home but this Hotel is it! It is a friendly, clean, period property with wonderful gardens and great service. The staff always look after me and there is one of the sweetest, most comical waitresses I have ever met! Good menu and quiet, if you work in the evening it is ideal. If you are lonely, go to the small cosy bar and be fed endless peanuts and conversation.

Room Tip: If you want space, upgrade
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

handy for staying over after working late nearby. Very friendly family run hotel with slightly old fashioned but clean and comfortable interior. breakfast was good, if generic b+b fare. Good pub within short (3 min) walking distance. Very quiet, even though I was in a room at the front on the ground floor so got a lot of work done with my exciting evening!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Rainham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

I had to find a place to stay whilst on business and was recommended Hook House. I wasn't disappointed. Excellent value and a wonderful room to boot. Service first class and it was a refreshing change to get good quality food with many healthy options, so much nicer than the chips and junk the chain hotels serve. Thank you

• Stayed March 2013
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Stayed three days at this charming and character filled hotel in Hampshire. The staff are simply wonderful, very friendly, very efficient, warm and welcoming. This is a hotel for those that want something a bit different. I stayed in a superior room which was definitely worth the extra cost to benefit from the space, very comfortable indeed. I would love to wake up here on a bright, fresh, spring or summer morning with the sun shining over the gardens no doubt it would be worth the price on its own. There is a small bar adjacent to the eating area, with an open fire and convivial space for a bit of work or a chat over a pint. i thought the WiFi arrangements somewhat irratating but carry my own wifi 3g router which I use when ever I am feel I am being over charged for www access. The food in the restaurant was extremely well presented (9 out of 10) but not the best quality, (3 out of 10) (something of a shock actually) couldn't help wondering if the chef was away?, Other reports seem to suggest food is excellent. I'm certainly not a food critic but as a travelling business man I have experienced good bad and indifferent and normally go for easy, quick and typical pub grub type fare (on the premise you cant go far wrong! and too tired to care). but I would of expected significantly better quality. Overall the experience did not put me off and I would definitely visit again but if the food remain of similar quality, I would have to eat elsewhere, which for me, as I'm a lazy git, would probably mean staying somewhere else so I don't have to move my lazy back side very far!!. A positive aspect of my room was power sockets, there was loads of them!, normally this drives me mad with hotels and believe it or not I carry a four-way extension lead in my suitcase, iphone, ipad, laptop, remote 3g router, you soon run out of power sockets in most hotels, well not in this room. Additionally If your considering this for a wedding or party venue I would expect this to a fantastic venue and well worth checking out further.

Room Tip: Pay for a superior room.. its worth it for the view and the space
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed here for one night in February.
The room was immaculate and the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The evening meal in the restaurant was very good. The menu and wines are not overpriced. The breakfast was excellent with the English Breakfast being cooked to order. The grounds are superbly maintained and if it had been warmer, we would have definitely explored them. Overall, with a room rate of £85 including breakfast, this represents superb value. If we are ever in the Hook area again, we know where to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out over the front of the building.
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Stayed on business, and the place seemed nice and all staff were well drilled

Unfortunately its still a bit stuck in the 1990's (or before) and some things need updating

Room wise - I hate staying in a hotel with carpet in the bathroom. It just can't be good hygiene can it? Other than that it was fine, but that one thing put me off!

Food wise - this was disappointing. Everything on my plates I recognised from when I go shopping to the local supermarket. I had Pate - that was straight out of one of those packets you buy with some "leaves" again out of one of those packets of leaves. Then the Fish & Chips - with the fish being one of those frozen ones on (again) those leaves out of a packet. I didn't bother eating there again!!

Overall - wouldn't rush back unless/until they sort that carpet out in the bathroom!!

Room Tip: Mine was fine - except for the bathroom carpet
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Rugby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

This is a real gem of a place. A genuine Queen Anne small country house set in its own grounds set well off the main road. having booked on the phone, we were greeted like friends, and soon found ourselves in the bar, which has a comprehensive range of drinks, including local beers. Food in restaurant excellent, and wine list good and not over priced. lovely rooms, WITH a radiator, very comfortable bed, reasonable WiFi rates, expecially compared to some (yes, I know some are free), well equipped bathroom with shower over bath. Nice towels/flannels etc. The little touches etc. All spotlessly clean, especially the carpets. Take note, chain hotels! Good breakfast, Tim an excellent host. My colleague and I both felt that it was far more like staying with family of friends than at an hotel, especialy for our four night stay. Plaudits to Paula, Izy, Katie as well for going that extra mile to make us feel really welcome. No, it's not shiny and new. It is a house which is over 325 years old. The stairs creak. the floors are not always level, and some of the doors are are little short. Get over it, and enjoy! I'll be back!

Room Tip: 9 has to be one of the nicest: faces the garden at the front and is very light.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Iain Richard S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
Tylney Hall
The Elvetham
The Elvetham
#1 of 1 in Hartley Wintney
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England

Been to Hook House Hotel? Share your experiences!