“I've stayed in cleaner hostels.”

and 1 more site!
Metro Inns A3 Liphook Services
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“I've stayed in cleaner hostels.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

So me, my boyfriend and his mum and step dad have just spent the night at this gross hotel. At £55 a night it was a well over priced dirt hole.

On turning up at reception they first only thought we had booked one room when infant we had booked two. The lady on reception was nice enough when she did eventually find the second room. One of the staff, when we arrived, was chain smoking outside the hotel entrance which was lovely being a non-smoker.

We put our bags down in the room (room 28) which smelt like someone had been smoking in it for the last 20 years, and headed down stairs as we fancied a Starbucks over the road. And once again the guy was smoking again outside the entrance, our room was directly above the entrance so the cigarette smoke was drifting in our room as we had the windows open as it was crazy hot in there.

The walls we're stained, their was cobwebs down the side of the toilet, and dirt in the corners of the shelf either side of the sink. I daren't take a bath as that didn't look much better.

The bed was soft and wasn't too bad. Although it slopped in the middle which was a little annoying but is had a few beers at a family event we visited liplook for so passed out pretty quickly. However on arrival after said party there was yet another member of staff smoking as we walked in, blowing smoke under our bedroom window.

This hotel is in desperate need of a refurb and charging £55 a night is ridiculous for a 'hotel' in this state. I've stayed in much cleaner hostels.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank SophieE3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel after looking for somewhere to stay overnight on our way to Goodwood. This was the only hotel in our price range available within a 20 mile radius of Goodwood (the next cheapest was £190 compared with £35 for this place). The only good thing I can say about this place is the price. I've stayed in other hotels around this price (and cheaper) that demonstrate cheap doesn't necessarily mean shoddy.

The place stank, I was wretching at the smell in the stairway. I can't describe the smell, I had to hold my breath on our way to the room. The room itself was smelly, it wreaked of stale cigarette smoke. The bed settee absolutely wreaked of stale cigarette smoke, I couldn't expect my 3 year old daughter to sleep on this, she ended up sleeping with us in the double bed. Which was broke. The legs along one side of the bed kept collapsing. It annoyed us so much that we eventually gave up putting the legs back on and put up with a sloping bed.

The bathroom was dirty and hardly functional. The shower just dribbled, there was next to no pressure in the water system. We ended up filling the plastic cups provided for tooth brushing and used these to wet and rinse. There were two temperatures available - scalding or freezing. Had to alternate between the two.

The furniture and fixings were basic and the carpet looked about 20 years old. The TV was an ancient 14" portable, I guess the room we stayed in hadn't had the 40" LCD upgrade yet. The remote for the TV was missing the back and a battery so we couldn't really use it anyway.

This place is in desperate need of a refit. If it wasn't for the mini fridge provided in the room, which we actually found useful, this would have been a one star review. Must do better Metro Inns. If I'm down that way again, I would rather spend £190 to stay in a decent hotel. Even at £35, this is not worth another stay. The only circumstance I would reconsider staying here is following a refurbish.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank craignock

Travellers are raving about these Liphook hotels

March, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here after not being able to find anything else nearby. We paid £55 to stay here on a Saturday night which I think was expensive for the standard of accommodation and cleanliness of the bathroom. I would have been happy paying £35.00.
When we arrived there was no bedding for our sons bed, which to be fair was brought straight to the room but we then had to make the bed. The bedding was clean and beds comfy.
We only had 2 cups which wasn't enough when we all wanted a drink but not really a problem.
The bathroom! This was very dirty I don't even want to think when the soap dish was last cleaned of the remainders of the previous guests showers. Broken towel rail with wires exposed and suspect hairs all around the floor (not ours).
We would not stay here again due to this, I thought it better not to have a shower this morning.
Facilities nearby are limited, I would recommend bringing breakfast bars so something so you have something to eat before finding the nearest Wetherspoons for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank dazzle1978
Liphook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This accommodation is desperately in need of renovation and unfortunately a jolly good clean. Our room was equipped with clean sheets and had been hoovered but the presence of an apple under the bed showed that this was probably only a whip round. Furniture and fittings very tired.
The bathroom felt incredibly grubby with rusty shower rail, dirty taps and toilet seat and little evidence of more attention than a swept floor. Towel rail had worryingly been disconnected.
We did not have adequate bedding, towels or cups/drinks for a family of four despite having booked a family room, these were however supplied promptly once requested. As it was a family room we were taken aback by the dominating presence of a very large tv which alongside the microwave left little counter top room.
Needless to say traffic noise was constant which left us battling between stuffy room and shut windows or fresh air and noise.
It was somewhere convenient to stopover for our needs but with no breakfast included, and on site facilities limited, it was far from value for money, especially compared to competitor budget brands.
Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah d
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is our second stay here. For the price you pay, you'd be surprised.

Rooms are clean, warm and spacious. A mini fridge, microwave and big TV makes it all that better.

Friendly and helpful staff always makes a better stay.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Hulya P
hayling island
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had to find sometime to stay overnight quickly as we had no electricity - again, and I just wanted warmth and no hassle for one night.

All that we could find locally was this Metro Inn at the northbound Liphook services on the A3 for £35. We were just grateful to find anywhere, but we had a lovely big room with TV, microwave and fridge, stack of storage room and a sofa.

We had a pizza in Haslemere (Ask - very good) and a couple of beers, and went back to our cosy room. There was a deli and Starbucks on site (in the services), so breakfast was very easy (and yummy).

For the odd nights escape, we felt it was really great value for money.

True it was a bit tired but, come on, for £35pn what do you expect?! We'd go back if we have another power cut. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back - we hardly heard the A3 which is a really busy dual carriageway at most...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank beenrippedoff
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Good points- the young lady on the reception was very friendly and helpful with my questions.... There were lots of spaces available in the carpark.... Costa was open early and late (I don't like costa but I had to find something else nice to say). Oooh I forgot... It had a microwave in it, presumably for the ginsters pasty you just got from the petrol station.

The room had clearly been smoked in- yuk. To say it was in shabby repair would be an understatement- towel rail coming off the wall, dirt in corners (didn't dare inspect the sheets) and a sticky carpet. The room was so hot it made Dante's inferno seem like an ice room. Even in January with the windows open as far as they could go. We booked a twin which was a double and a put-me-up sofa. The latter was so stained and funky neither of us wanted it so drew lots and then top and tailed the bed. (I lost then did best of three and won but we decided it wasn't worth the loss of a friendship)

I am a fan of budget hotels. I like getting a bargain and I don't mind the loss of luxury you get from a cheap hotel. What I do mind is filth and poor maintenance. £42 for a double.... I've paid less for better campsites.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank saraboom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
#2 of 2 in Haslemere
Grayshott Health Spa
Grayshott Health Spa
#1 of 1 in Grayshott

Been to Metro Inns A3 Liphook Services? Share your experiences!