“Fine if you are a golfer”

Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Yorkshire
“Fine if you are a golfer”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We were staying at the Old Thorns with a group for a function and were put in the Allis Wing which was what you expect from a four star hotel and we were allocated a room with a - very comfortable - four poster bed without asking. However, it was separate from the main building which meant that we had to go across to the main hotel for just about everything. Thankfully it didn’t rain while we were there otherwise it might have caused a problem. The function room was just right for our group and the meal was very good for mass catering. But the service left a bit to be desired as one person on our table had to wait about 10 minutes, after the rest of us, for their meal to be served. Also one of the waitresses did not seem to understand which wine we ordered as her English was not very good. It seems that this is mainly a hotel that caters for golf parties and anything else is secondary.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
pam b, Public Relations Manager at Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write about your stay and we are pleased that you liked your accommodation and upgrade to the four poster room.

We do try to be consistent with service at functions, but without the full story, I am unable to comment on the wait. With regard to waiting staff, we do operate a policy of employment for all and some of our staff are from other countries.

Can I just state that we value all of our clients and would wish that everyone's stay is more than they expected. We do hope you will visit another time and try our spa facilities and the main restaurant.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Liss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We had our Wedding here last weekend and cannot thank Diane, Natalie, Hannah and everyone at Old Thorns enough. I literally turned up at Old Thorns 6 weeks ago, desperate as our previous booked reception let us down and we had to cancel. Diane organised everything and nothing was too much for her to organise. I went there just hoping I could at least book us as wedding breakfast and left there with a breakfast and evening reception! And all within our budget!! I really cannot express how helpful everyone was - poor Natalie and Hannah having to put up with my emails every day!! Sorry!! Resident DJ Darren was brilliant getting everyone involved in the celebrations and particular attention to detail on the room too as he hadn't used the new room before. Thank you all for making our day more than we could ever imagine possible - it truly was a fairytale - and you guys made it possible for us xx

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Sammie1200247,

Thank you for your wonderful comments.

I will pass on this review to the team who worked on your wedding and make sure that they know your thoughts.

Please come back and visit us soon!
eastbourne
Reviewed 26 October 2011

i recently organised a golf trip to old thorns through golf breaks for a party of 10, i was beginning to have doubts after reading the reviews, mostly about un helpful staff being rude etc, and the hotel being noisy, well all i can say is, there must be a lot of sad people that just like to whinge, from the moment we arrived the staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble, from the receptionist to the staff in the pro shop, the food was perfectly adequate for 10 male golfers, (we had the carvery and the buffet breakfast) the rooms in the hotel were very clean and nicely decorated, the golf course was superb and in vey good condition, everyone in my party commented on how nice the golf course and hotel was, we all said we would happily return, so thank you old thorns for making our trip very enjoyable

1 Thank gary h
Dear gary h,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review of Old Thorns Manor hotel.

I will make sure the staff in the hotel and carvery read your review as its great to hear you had a great time.

We look forward to your golfing party returning to Old Thorns in the future!
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My Mum and I had a fantastic spa day. Despite renovations being done to the hotel and spa facilities at the time, the staff did their best to ensure that we had a relaxing day. All the staff we came into contact with were friendly, helpful and professional - from the receptionist Nicki, to the treatment therapist, Amy, to Ben and Steven who were at the desk and brought us tea on the poolside!
The one down side was that we had to get dressed again for lunch (which was delicious), but we were told that when the renovations are complete, that will not be necessary as the spa rooms will have there own area for lunch. We enjoyed the day so much, we plan to go back when the renovations are finished.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
pam b, Public Relations Manager at Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Old Thorns when you visited with your mum.

The spa team will be so happy that you enjoyed your visit! We are constantly improving the spa and hopefully you will enjoy your next visit even more.
Reviewed 17 October 2011

First impressions of the hotel werent great, we requested early check in as we were at an afternoon function in the hotel which they couldnt guarantee (fair enough) but when I called around noon on the day to see if early check in was possible they said they wouldnt know until 3pm if we could check in early - I pointed out standard check in was at 3pm anyway but she didnt get it and kept repeating they would know by 3pm if we could check in early!
The room was spacious enough, bathroom ok but on moving the curtains in the bedroom there was an area that hadnt seen a hoover in quite a while. My big disappointment was the bed, old fashioned heavy layered sheets that I had to wrestle free they were so tightly tucked in and a rather uncomfortable mattress - I have had comfier beds at the likes of Travelodge and Premier Inn.
Breakfast was fine though they kept running out of things and the one and only toaster broke.
Evening meal at the function was disappointing, Vegetarian option had been requested and confirmed again with the events coordinator on arrival at the hotel but when the starters came out the waitress went back to the kitchen and returned to tell me there was no vegetarian option, odd in this day and age but I had also confirmed this twice with the hotel direct. I asked for them to put 'something' on a plate for me to avoid the embarassment of having nothing in front of me when the other guests were ready to eat (I suggested a bit of lettuce or anything), waitress disappears and comes back again with a 'chef says its the starter or nothing' as the starter came with a salad garnish I dont see why I couldnt have just had that but in the end I asked they give me the starter minus the pate I didnt want, which they did complete with a slimy trail where they had scraped off the pate (glad I wasnt eating that pate!!!). Disappointing for a hotel of this size hosting a function of that size. It turned out there was at least one other vegetarian in the room and she had had nothing for the meal despite requests. I would avoid returning for a function here if possible, would stay overnight depending on other local alternatives though really not the best nights sleep. .

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BAH3
Dear BAH3,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay however I undertand you found some points where you feel we can improve.

Please permit me to address these key points.

Early check in: I understand how this frustrated you and I will speak to the reservations team and highlight the problems you had.

Sleep Quality: Its disappointing that you did not find the bed comfortable as normally we get very good marks for sleep quality. Maybe this is due to your specific room so if you would be kind enough to email me with your room number I can check to see if this was an issue.

Vegetarian Option: I have spoken to the event management team and I really need to know which function you attended as.....

a) A wedding specifies in advance the number of vegetarians and we carry out their demands.

b) During tribute/party nights we have a vegetarian option available.

We have no letters emails or complaints about your experience before this trip advisor review, so please can you email me at eventsadmin@oldthorns.com with specific details please so i can act on it.
southampton
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Stayed at old thorns having spent a day there on a previous trip to the spa for a day treat. We went back, the service was friendly, the atmosphere was perfect and the room was fab with a huge bed, so comfortable. The food was equisite. Couldn't have wished to be anywhere else.

Room Tip: I requested a lower ground floor and had lovely french doors overlooking the grounds perfect
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
pam b, Public Relations Manager at Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Thank you so much for writing to let everyone know how great your stay was at Old Thorns. I will pass your comments on to staff and we all look forward to welcoming you again.
BRACKNELL
Reviewed 12 October 2011

42 guys travelled from our golf club for our golf away day and with drinks spent over £2500 for 18 holes and a meal afterwards.
we had very high expectations as it was designed by Peter Aliss... However he would want to seriously distance himself from the course if he had played on the greens we did.
The course is picturesque with great views the greens however were so slow that the winning score out of 42 low hcp golfers was only 32 points off the yellow tees with most scores in the low 20's, all our members comented on how shockingly slow the greens were and how it spoilt our first visit and probably last to Old Thorns.
As a manager at a golf club myself i understand the course cant always be perfect but we endeavour to ensure that on large golf societies days (that are spending a lot of money) basic jobs like cutting of greens is done!!!

2 Thank SIMONCO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Grayshott
The Devils Punchbowl
The Devils Punchbowl
#1 of 1 in Hindhead

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!