“Great place for a wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Bexleyheath
“Great place for a wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Have just had a very enjoyable 2 night stay at this hotel. We were part of a wedding party, and what a beautiful venue for a wedding. The food was good, the Sports Bar provides snacks and bar food and the restaurant has the choice of a carvery. The wedding breakfast was excellent and all served nice and hot. Contrary to what I had read on some reviews, I found all the staff polite, very helpful with nothing too much trouble. The rooms are very comfortable, we were lucky in having a room that looked over the magnificent golf course. Cannot comment on the Spa as didn't use it but the gym and swimming pool were brilliant. My husband, a novice golfer, was very impressed with the course saying you could see for miles from some of the holes and thoroughly enjoyed his round of golf. On the whole, a great place for people to get married and have their guests entertained too.

Room Tip: Room 210 overlooks part of the golf course
1 Thank mirrorgirl50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Old Thorns is a fantastic looking hotel, the grounds are immaculate and the interior comfortable and stylish. The food in the carvery was as good as any i've visited elsewhere and the rooms comfortable (and come with a air conditioning unit!!). The staff at the hotel, bars and restaurant couldn't have been more helpful and I would stay here again.

The golf course is very well kept, some of the views amazing and is difficult, which is what I wanted. The staff in the pro shop were down right rude. How these people keep their jobs in customer facing roles is beyond me. As paying customers you would imagine that you would receive a little respect, be spoken to as as if you were welcome there and maybe a smile when making a purchase wouldn't go amiss.

It has seriously made me question if I would go back there to play golf. I might however book a spa day as that aspect of the hotel complex was amazing!!

1 Thank Steve B
Melksham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We arrived at The Old Thorns Hotel on Sunday afternoon, looking forward to our spa break after our Wedding Reception the night before which was at a different venue in another part of the country.

We were recommended The Old Thorns as my husband was given £70.00 voucher to use in the Golf Shop, so we booked the four poster room for our honeymoon night ... When we booked this many months ago, the room was described to be lovely - and was a good size for a hotel room, however on arriving it was really disappointing as the room was dark and bland which gave the room no friendly appeal it was just a normal room with a huge heavy wooden old fashion 4 poster bed in it - not worth the extra money at all.

You could not hardly open the windows to let any air in, If staying at this hotel ask for a light airy and balcony room ! After enjoying a lovely meal in teh carvery we decided to go back to our room for a night of passion and a good night sleep, due to the hectic plans of the wedding reception. Not a hope in hell ..... every time you moved you could feel springs digging in to you - - In addition the telephone only worked some times so it was very difficult to get hold of anyone to speak to reception. The next morning I wanted to find out where our newspaper was that we had ordered as their was a Daily Mail outside room 224 but not 225 - and 224 was written on the paper, at this point the phone worked and I was advised just take that paper for 224 as it must be for you !! . On the way to breakfast I walked over to reception to make them aware of teh mattress problem and a very nice young man noted what I said and said he would report it, but he seemed very uninterested and I could clearly see that nothing would happen.
I was due to have the two spa treatments that day which was included in the deal we had purchased , but due to being in remission with MS my back was so bad from the really bad mattress I could not walk very well - we had to see the Spa Manager and explain that I had to cancel my treatments as I was in to much pain.
We also explained we had to leave the hotel early just so we could return home in the afternoon and get some sleep as we were both awake every hour the night before a the bed was that bad.

My husband travels the world and in the last year has slept in hundreds of hotels and has commened that this was the worst bed in a hotel he has ever slept in. In additon he also woke the next morning with a really bad back too..

The Spa Manager was lovely when we explained that my husband had to return home to get some sleep as he was travelling to Turkey the next day on buisness, and why our day had to be changed,

This weekend break , ruined a special occassion and we would recommend that until the hotel replace the mattress in Room 225 - if any guests are put in there - ask to be moved - we understand the pods are more comfortable !

However, on a positive note - the way in which Sarah the Spa Manager treated us was excellent customer service and offered a very caring approach to our problem - she agreed to make the owners aware of the problem re teh 4 poster and has rebooked for me to return to the hotel to spend the day at the spa and have my treatments on another day, , which I am looking forward to.

We would recommend this hotel for the spa and the amazing gym, the food is excellent and the carvery is good value - yes it is a busy hotel - and we were surprised to see 3 weddings on a Sunday, and breakfast on Monday morning did feel like we were at a hoilday camp with one wedding guest removing my chair for their table ..... If we had known it was going to be this busy we would of returned to PennyHill Park Spa in Bagshot for our special weekend.

However, we will be returning to The Old thorns for spa breaks but next time we are going to book a Pod if we have to stay over .... it might be like camping but you get windows that open and other guests said it was fun and comfortable.

The carvery is a a must for sunday lunch and although busy, the staff were really good, very young and stayed calm during busy times and knew what had to be done. However, during our stay we saw no management walking around to make sure that everything was running to plan.

We did visit the Golf Shop and the lovely gentleman Stuart that had been really helpful over the phone was on holiday, but we did find it a lttle diffcult to make conversationt with the 3 gentleman in the shop as they came acorss a little grumpy ..From a customer service point of view - I would say the Golf shop was the area that would need improving. If we did not have the voucher to use we would of been put off by purchasing anything in this shop due to the lack of customer service seen from the staff.

Well done to the restaurant staff and the spa plus gym staff - because it's only these 3 areas that will give us a reason to return to The old Thorns.

Already one friend had thought about having her wedding at the Old Thorns next year due to the great deals being offered - but she knows not to ask for the honeymoon suite ..... But she knows our views on the positive points in staying with yourselves.

Room Tip: Dont book room 225 ! Forgot going for a four poster room the upgrade cost is not worth it No air c...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed here with good friends and had a lovely spa break weekend, which was a special offer. This included 2 free treatments each, which we enjoyed. The half hour Indian head massage was very nice, though was cut short to 20 minutes. The service throughout the resort was excellent and this really made the weekend. There is a pool and large jacuzzi which are great but a long way from the actual spa which seems rather strange - would surely be better to have them together. We had several meals here, all of which were very good. The bedrooms are perfectly fine, though nothing special and our TV constantly had reception problems which meant we could almost always only get BBC. An engineer came but couldn't resolve this. Overall though, this is a great place and if you like golf or being pampered, just right!

• Stayed July 2012
Truro, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Oh dear oh dear, Essex comes to Surrey. Delusions of granduer with nothing to back it up.

We stayed in the eco pods, which we assumed stood for "ecological" but evidently stood for "economical" (ish!). The pod itself was ok, but with shocking attention to detail, i.e. the roller blind over the door had not been cut to size so hung out over the end of the door, bumping into the sofa, the other window had no blind or curtain at all, and a round mirror had been squashed into a square space.

The bathrooms were filthy, and despite us asking at reception there was no loo roll from 10.30pm when we went to bed, until gone 1pm the next afternoon when they were cleaned. Again, lack of attention to detail - no bathmats and a shelf fitted right over the minute sink, so you couldn't clean your teeth easily.

The staff really were something else, apart from those in Starbucks who we found refreshingly friendly after the waiting staff! Examples; on asking for a brown roll with my soup instead of white I was told "Nah, we only have this stuff" and then in the Sports Bar at lunchtime we witnessesed a stand up row between 2 waitresses, across several tables of diners at full volume, because one had taken the order to the wrong table and the other insisted she's just told her which table it was for. Unprofessional does not begin to approach it!

Finally, the food was awful. We stayed at Old Thorns for a friends wedding, and the wedding breakfast was so poor we feel so sorry for the couple. The started was "vine ripened tomato soup" which I would swear was Heinz out of a soup - the identical orange colour you certainly don't find with home made tomato soup! The main course was (overcooked) chicken with (very undercooked) fondant potato and the only vegtables were three cherry tomatoes (after tomato soup...!!!?).

Find a B and B instead and avoid this place like the plague!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Alicante
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Reading the reports on Trip Advisor made me very wary on my 3 day golfing break at this hotel....well speak as you find and this is one of the nicest golfing hotels i have stayed in, friendly staff, very clean, good food (not brilliant but it is a carvery set meal although plenty of it) and a pleasure to visit. The course was in good condition despite the rain and there was lots of that. The pro shop were helpful informative and nothing like the reviews. All in all and despite the rain a welcome break...highly recommended

Room Tip: The Alliss suite is fine but can imagine an issue in the winter, try to get a room in the main hotel
1 Thank AlicanteJacko
Stamford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Copy of a complaint letter sent today: -

We stayed at Old thorns before back in March when we were part of a wedding party, and I believe we stayed in what you call your "Executive Double room" which was great, we have a 2 year old, so the room was a decent size for the travel cot that we have without feeling cramped.

I called to book this room again.....I didn't know at the time of booking that it was called "an Executive Double" but I specifically described where it was (in the block next to the eco pods) and gave reference to our last stay,I was very clear that I wanted the same room type again as the size was perfect. After a long drive from Cambridgeshire on Friday evening, we arrived at our room at around 9pm, my little girl was tired and just wanted to go to bed.....the room that we were given was only a "superior double" so it was small and the travel cot was flush against the window, the carpet was grubby so we wouldn't walk around without shoes on and there was no telephone in our room, so I ended up contacting reception from my mobile phone to ask for towels as there wasn't enough!! I called and asked to speak to somebody in charge and listed the nature of my complaint, it was only a young lad on reception, and although he seemed nice, wasn't trained to deal with my complaint and said that he would leave a message for the manager who would be back in the morning, but in the meantime he could bring me a towel......I hadn't heard anything by breakfast time, so I called and spoke to the manager on duty, and I have to say that her manner was most abrupt. We just kept going round in circles, and to be honest I found the whole conversation most unpleasant and not at all what I would expect from a 4* hotel. Eventually she agreed to upgrade us to the room I thought I was getting at the point of booking, and our personal belongings were moved to a different room that day.

The next morning we went to breakfast which was bedlam, the hotel staff were not equipped to deal with the volume of guests and it was very unorganised. We were showed to our table in a rather hurried fashion and I had to wait 10 minutes for a high chair, I had to chase this twice!! When we eventually got through the que of people, there wasn't much cooked food left and it looked dry.....so we ended up grabbing a few bits of bacon and making a sandwich ourselves.

I feel very aggrieved that this rather unpleasant stay cost us £310.00, we were looking forward to what we thought was going to be a nice relaxing break...only to be faced with chaos!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
#1 of 1 in Sutton Scotney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,018 reviews
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel
Park House Hotel & Spa

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!