I think it must depend on who's on duty when you visit this hotel as to the experience you have. Before the stay we visited to check on facilities as we were booking for a large group of friends and family staying for a wedding nearby. The reception staff could not have been more disinterested, even when we wanted advice about local taxi firms etc. Following this a couple who decided to book after the main group had a curt and unfriendly telephone call to them.
On arrival all looks modern and clean, if a little chavvy. There is no help offered to take your bags, even for my 85 year old father, that they put out in the annex. But when you enter the rooms, in the main building, gloom and doom descend. The rooms are small, stuffy and incredibly dark. We could not open the curtains as we were next to the main corridor where people went to the bar! The stuffiness was not helped by the fact that there is no air conditioning and we could not have a window open as they were patio doors to the grass strip outside. The rooms were scruffy, showed signs of wear and were not particularly clean. The beds were however comfortable.
The hotel is very noisy on the Friday night there was a hen party, weddings and other guests.
On the Friday evening we tried to book a meal for everyone. The hotel said they needed deposits from everyone, even though they were all staying at the hotel, they would not negotiate so we went to a lovely pub down the road. The staff at that pub The Deers Hut could not be faulted and I will write another review on this gem. The hotel missed out on 38 evening meals and drinks!
After the wedding people came back to have a drink with us in the hotel champagne bar. This was the moment when they really spoilt the day. They had doormen and bouncers in attendance! I have never seen as many in a London club as in here, and were they aggressive! No chat or talk here, one lady and man were man-handled out of the bar for raising their voices!! They decided that our friends could not come in as they were not all staying at the hotel, we said we would be buying the drinks, but they were adamant. One of our residents was refused entry because he had changed out of his wedding shoes into some soft shoes, what did they think he was going to do? It was a real downer on what had been a lovely day. I am just so pleased that we did not choose this hotel for the actual wedding.
The spa area is beautiful and well maintained.
All in all I wold never stay here again. I have travelled extensively and have never met such an unhelpful, unfriendly staff. The management of this hotel need to seriously consider some customer service training.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 400 acres of picturesque countryside, Old Thorns has a unique way of doing just about everything. Steeped in history but with a modern contemporary edge, our 4 star hotel is widely regarded as one of the best hotels in the south of England, providing guests with a truly authentic experience. Offering a wealth of luxury facilities, Old Thorns boasts 160 bedrooms, 14 fabulous function rooms, 5 amazing Ball rooms, stunning spa and a state-of-the-art three story health club and wellness center, tennis court, nature trails, conference center, and a wonderful 10 wooden building Eco Pod Village with a state of the art facilities building. It is truly the perfect "Glamping" experience. Not forgetting our championship golf course designed by 'the voice of golf' Peter Alliss. Our unbeatable location on the beautiful Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex borders means we're just 5 minutes from Haslemere, 20 minutes from Guildford, 35 minutes from the historic coastal city of Portsmouth and 30 minutes from Goodwood and Chichester in West Sussex. We are ideally situated with easy access for unforgettable days out in the south. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel And Golf Course
- Old Thorns Hotel Course
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course Liphook, Hampshire