We stayed on a two night spa and golf break in late October.
Check in was smooth and helpful , we had to wait until 3pm for the room but this was ok.
You enter the hotel via a gorgeous sweeping driveway but then that leads to a huge concrete car park that looks like it belongs in Milton Keynes.
The outside of the building is pretty ugly with a vegas style neon sign over the entrance to the sports bar and a Starbucks in the corner, this does not have a country house hotel feel!
The inside of the hotel is weirdly decorated and modern but well...just plain odd.
Our room was lovely , spacious ,spotless good shower and tv with french doors to a small terrace.
Outstanding spa facilities which the wife loved.
Staff are the usual mix of minimum wage locals and Eastern Europeans and without exception they were friendly and polite but particularly the breakfast shift.
The carvery is awesome and perfect after a day on the golf course but after two nights you have had enough of it......
Wine selection very good and reasonably priced,breakfast was also very good!
Played the course twice and it had not drained well , very tough test in any conditions but the fifth which is a lovely hole was in awful condition, views from he course are amazing.
Had to visit the pro shop on a few occasions and the young man serving was a delight to deal with and extremely helpful however the grey haired older guy is a customer service nightmare and the reason i have knocked the hotel to 3 stars......
A greeting of Good Morning was unacknowledged and the same when you went to pay anything no please, no thank you no eye contact.......worse was to come.......
The computer system was down so he could not or would not get me a tee time for late afternoon,just grunted take your chances(I was one of only a few on the course).
Im sure he was a famous pro at one stage in his life and therefore dealing with mere mortals who work hard for a living and spend a lot of hard earned money at this place is beneath him but come on in this day and age customer service counts and the treatment people get in that Pro shop is shocking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 400 acres of picturesque countryside, Old Thorns has a unique way of doing just about everything. Steeped in history but with a modern contemporary edge, our 4 star hotel is widely regarded as one of the best hotels in the south of England, providing guests with a truly authentic experience. Offering a wealth of luxury facilities, Old Thorns boasts 160 bedrooms, 14 fabulous function rooms, 5 amazing Ball rooms, stunning spa and a state-of-the-art three story health club and wellness center, tennis court, nature trails, conference center, and a wonderful 10 wooden building Eco Pod Village with a state of the art facilities building. It is truly the perfect "Glamping" experience. Not forgetting our championship golf course designed by 'the voice of golf' Peter Alliss. Our unbeatable location on the beautiful Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex borders means we're just 5 minutes from Haslemere, 20 minutes from Guildford, 35 minutes from the historic coastal city of Portsmouth and 30 minutes from Goodwood and Chichester in West Sussex. We are ideally situated with easy access for unforgettable days out in the south. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel And Golf Course
- Old Thorns Hotel Course
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course Liphook, Hampshire