“Good venue for a group”

Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Went for a friends 40th birthday celebration. The setting is lovely and the rooms very comfortable and of good sizes, note the beds are quite firm!
The men went golf, due to adverse weather they could only play 9 holes, but were allowed to go round twice. Meanwhile the ladies were enjoying being pampered in the spa and making the most of the facilities. Treatments may be shorter than you'd expect but all were a good standard and the pool/spa area is lovely, clean and with all the facilities you'd need and more!
The carvery was good and everything cooked very well. The buffet breakfast was limited in choice and the hot buffet was cold. Overall we all enjoyed oyur visit and thought it was a good choice. One improvement would be to have a coffee/bar area in the spa area so you don't have to walk into the bar in gowns with lots of men in golf gear or wedding guests looking lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I booked old manor for my sisters hen spa break. The day before we were due to go I decided to read some of the reviews on here, big mistake!! After reading them I was really worried that I had made the wrong choice. So the next day we arrive and oh how wrong was I, the place looked amazing :) there was 9 of us altogether and they had us all next door/opposite each other. (Also I had added the 9th person only a few weeks before we went, and they were brilliant at accommodating this. Another bed was added to a room and they changed us on the spa booking so we could go in together! Instead of 4 and 4 they changed it to 4,3,2) well the spa facilities were amazing, and the pool, and it was reasonably quiet whilst we were there so had the hot tub/sauna/steam room to ourselves! Dinner in the eve was beautiful, I was worried as I don't like carvery, I decided I was going to pay the extra so I could have steak, then the waiter told us that also available at the carvery was lasagne and chicken& mushroom pie... Result! Lasagne and salad = a happy me! The next morning we went to breakfast, wow, so much choice and was all lovely, and hot (not always the case with buffet breakfast!!) plus fruit, cereals, toast and pastrys. After we filled up for the day we checked out, and we were told we could use the facilities up until 4pm, so off we went to use the relaxation suite and everything else! Also having a Starbucks there was a perk as we got to enjoy good cuppa before leaving for home. We were very lucky that we had good weather so were able to make use of our little terrace and sit outside to enjoy the coffee! Price wise I couldn't believe we got everything we did and had only paid £89. Everybody I've told says to me, did you get a voucher off groupon?! They can't believe it when I say no, it's actually how much the hotel charges! Also friend of mine recently did a spa break and had to pay £120 just for the room and dinner, they had to pay full (expensive) price for their treatments. All in all this hotel/spa break is fantastic value for money, and we can't wait to go back in January to celebrate my aunties birthday!! Oh just one more thing... The only criticism I have is the room was far to hot, and no air con! Couldn't find the heating switch, but it probably could of been sorted if we'd bothered to phone reception!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mel C
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I wrote to the hotel to complain about the bad experience that I had and they have chosen to ignore me. So I will tell you:-

Dear Duty Manager

Having organised a special stay for my daughter and son-in-laws celebration I was disappointed when they came home to inform me that a weekend away is a great idea, but not at the Old Thorns Manor Hotel.

They stayed in room 117 on Saturday 19th October . The room was very pleasing to the eye on arrival but the bathroom was clearly not, my daughter has taken some photo’s which can be forwarded if necessary but if you visit the room yourself you will see. The soap dispenser clearly not appropriate, and the tiles very dirty and unhygienic. The shower did not work in as much there was no hot water only cold coming from it even after letting it run in hope that it would get warm.

The TV remote control was also not working when they tried to use it on arrival, the batteries inside were leaking. This was reported straight away but took over an hour for someone to come and sort this out, this may not seem long but when you are trying to pack so much into a short time, to have to sit and wait around in the room was not a good start.

A complaint was not made at the time about the bathroom because the condition was not noticed until they went to use it on the morning of departure so it was too late to rectify, so they just put together a wash bag and went across to the spa area to shower and dress. Also they felt that if the hotel did offer any sort of compensation at the time for the poor condition of the room they could not accept this because it was a gift from their parents.

I am well aware that I could post negative remarks about the hotel on sites like Trip Advisor, but feel the right thing to do is inform you of the situation so that you can rectify any problems for future guests but I do hope that you offer me appropriate explanation and compensation for the poor quality of the room that my family stayed in.

Over to you and I await your response within the next ten days.

With kind regards

Room Tip: Check it out before you stay.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sandyemmerson
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We took our son and his family (daughter-in-law and grandsons aged 3 and 5 ) for carvery meals at lunchtime. The restaurant was bright and airy and we had a window table with a good view of the course and its golfers. The young waitresses were very pleasant and helpful, the main courses perfectly cooked and plentiful and a wide range of delicious desserts. We would have no hesitation in going back for a meal or recommending the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank granPaisley
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed on a two night spa and golf break in late October.
Check in was smooth and helpful , we had to wait until 3pm for the room but this was ok.
You enter the hotel via a gorgeous sweeping driveway but then that leads to a huge concrete car park that looks like it belongs in Milton Keynes.
The outside of the building is pretty ugly with a vegas style neon sign over the entrance to the sports bar and a Starbucks in the corner, this does not have a country house hotel feel!
The inside of the hotel is weirdly decorated and modern but well...just plain odd.
Our room was lovely , spacious ,spotless good shower and tv with french doors to a small terrace.
Outstanding spa facilities which the wife loved.
Staff are the usual mix of minimum wage locals and Eastern Europeans and without exception they were friendly and polite but particularly the breakfast shift.
The carvery is awesome and perfect after a day on the golf course but after two nights you have had enough of it......
Wine selection very good and reasonably priced,breakfast was also very good!
Played the course twice and it had not drained well , very tough test in any conditions but the fifth which is a lovely hole was in awful condition, views from he course are amazing.
Had to visit the pro shop on a few occasions and the young man serving was a delight to deal with and extremely helpful however the grey haired older guy is a customer service nightmare and the reason i have knocked the hotel to 3 stars......
A greeting of Good Morning was unacknowledged and the same when you went to pay anything no please, no thank you no eye contact.......worse was to come.......
The computer system was down so he could not or would not get me a tee time for late afternoon,just grunted take your chances(I was one of only a few on the course).
Im sure he was a famous pro at one stage in his life and therefore dealing with mere mortals who work hard for a living and spend a lot of hard earned money at this place is beneath him but come on in this day and age customer service counts and the treatment people get in that Pro shop is shocking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jackbar449
Reviewed 29 October 2013

3 friends and myself stayed in the eco-pods for a spa break and we had a great time.

When I called and made my booking with the spa team they were very helpful and my booking was made with ease, they were able to book us all in for our treatments at the same time with 4 different therapists which I though was great as we weren’t separated for long.

When we arrived at 1pm we were greeted by a male receptionist who I felt was quite unhelpful, he said our pods weren’t ready until 3pm and to come back then to check in and then he walked off. Another member of staff came to reception and I asked her if she could check to see if just one of the pods were ready so we could leave our bags and get ready to go to the spa, she was very helpful had a look and told me that both our pods were ready and we could check in early.

We were very surprised with the pods, even though they look very small from the outside we felt they were quite spacey inside and enough room for a 1 nights stay, we made use of the outside space too even in October we were able to sit outside on the chairs provided and enjoy a bottle of bubbly.

We then went to the spa and felt like we were being pampered from the beginning, we were given slippers and towels and shown around, we made use of all the facilities which we felt were great, we even asked if we were able to get a bottle of bubbly to drink in the relaxation room which they said was no trouble and went and got one from the bar for us. We all had back massages which were amazing, my therapists was called Tanya and I could not fault the massage she gave me. I wish we were able to have more treatments but they were fully booked very far in advance.

Once we were finished in the spa we went back to our pods to get ready for dinner, we enjoyed the carvery which was nice and then enjoyed a great night in the sports bar and then the champagne bar. We went back to the spa the next day to enjoy the facilities again as they were so relaxing.

I will defiantly be coming back here for another girls weekend and also booking for one with the men as I hear the golf is very good too!!

Room Tip: Pods are cosy but have everything you need, iron, hairdryer and tea facilities! They were very clean...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Becca321_9
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at the Old Thorns Manor during a friends wedding. The hotel grounds are fantastic and there was a lot to explore. The bar and the coffee shop is great. The room that we stayed in however was a bit dated. This was unfortunate as some of the other friends who stayed at the hotel at the same time got more modern and bigger rooms. The beds were massive and were comfortable enough. The breakfast the next morning was great with plenty of selections and great coffee. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vtrat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Frensham Pond Country house hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oakley
Alton House Hotel
Alton House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Alton

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!