“Awful service and grumpy staff”

Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
London
“Awful service and grumpy staff”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding and the service was terrible from start to finish. We opted for an eco pod, which wasnt available when we arrived (we had asked for an early check in) it wasnt even available at 12.30 when I was told to return. We eventually got the key at 6pm, which didnt work, and we were told to 'jiggle it in the lock a bit'. Great workmanship!
The cleaner hadnt left the heating on so when we returned to the pod, in december, at 3am , it was like walking into an igloo. An oversight by staff as the hotel rooms were boiling hot and other guests were leaving windows open to get some air in! Aslo the bed was rock hard and not comfortable at all. And the 'shower block' was a green portacabin, with muddy floors and only one toilet, which was dirty and not flushed when I tried to use it in the morning. Instead we went to the gym and used their showers, but this was the other side of complex so a 10 minute walk.

The spa was good however - thats what got the 2 stars. I had a manicure and the beauty therapist was super, really helpful and also let me us the changing rooms to get ready for the wedding as the pod still wasnt ready.

The service at the wedding was also pretty dire - the bar wouldnt serve the groom a drink to settle his nerves before the wedding. It was 12.28pm and the bar should have opened at 12.30 anyway. Terrible behaviour.

At breakfast I ordered poached eggs - these took 20 minutes to arrive, and I had to remind the waitress a couple of times.

It was basicaly all just hit and miss, which considering the price is not acceptable. On checking out no one even asked us if everything was OK. I know it was a busy time of year, but they need to employ more staff so the few that remain arent so grumpy!

Room Tip: Ask for one in the hotel so you dont have a walk to he other block!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrAndMrsMagic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Had a really good meal at The Old Thorns last night with colleagues,
meals were well presented and well cooked and served hot despite the
good number of people attending.
Servers were very busy all evening but stayed very polite and pleasant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I've been using OT for a few months for meetings and last night decided to stay over.

It's a big venue which caters for a multitude of audiences and on the whole it gets it right, however as said before by other reviewers the service is very "automated".

Also one major gripe that was shared by 2 others at reception who were also checking in is that because I was using a debit card for my stay they insisted on charging me full amount immediately and I was also unable to charge anything to my room. When I asked why this was (which in my view is fairly standard practice) I was told that I should have a credit card instead of a debit card.... i managed to hold my tongue but wasn't impressed..

So, in summary, good facility and nice rooms but it's slightly impersonal and could be improved to a 5 star location by addressing a few things

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Spaciecadet
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Nice setting, excellent leisure facilities, champagne bar is very nice, but the whole experience was completely let down by the food in the Sports Bar. £9.50 for a tiny microwave pizza!! Ok, it's a Sports Bar, I don't expect gourmet food, but I would at least expect a bit of effort and something edible from a 4 star hotel. The service in there was very poor too. If you avoid the Sports Bar and eat at the pub down the road, a nice hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I booked the apartment and double room at old thorns to chill out and relax before my 50th birthday party with 6 friends on the spa day , we all booked treatments on the weds 27th and more on the 28th of November .
I wished to arrange a nice surprise for my friends to start the day a bottle of bubbles for 1pm and another to be delivered to the apartment at 7pm before we went for dinner at 8pm, I was asked to pay for this in advance with the deposits for everyone and to ask everyone to pre pay for all their treatment , no problem I thought initially very organised .
On arrival the receptionist was very curt asking for forms to be completed and a credit card to hold for any extras that may be charged to the room , at one stage I felt I was being told off !!! as the apartment was not ready we would leave our bags in a separate room and continue with our treatment the bubbles arrived at 1.40 so it was all very rushed but never mind we could start the relaxing time away.
The staff in the spa were lovely and cheery , and the treatments were carried out professionally on par with champneys where we would normal go.
The bottle of bubbles that I had prepaid and ordered for 7pm never arrived so at 7.55 I went over to reception to enquire with the duty manager as to where it was and was told sorry we forgot !! No offer of getting it to the room or to take it to the restaurant where we had booked for 8pm.
We then proceeded to the restaurant sat down ordered dinner still no bubbles !!!! Eventually it arrived on the main course as they then had to check it had originally been ordered by now my surprise for the girls had gone flat!!! I would normally have ordered more drinks but felt let down and disappointed .
On leaving the next morning I asked again about the entertainment for Christmas and was told nobody knew if there was any entertainment , my brother had previously reserved 3 rooms for a 3 day Christmas break under the name of Day , I also made it known about the bubbles not being dealt with as booked and was told a manager would contact me later that day, it's now 9 days later and still haven't heard from anyone . I'm not not looking for a reduction, but an apology and reassurance this was a one off would of been appreciated then we could of come for Christmas but unfortunately my brother will be cancelling our rooms.
On a plus side the spa staff are very well organised ,food was pleasant and rooms and apartment lovely but I feel your customer care in the hotel lets you down, I wish you every success and will try another spa break with friends again.
Remember consumers are statistics, customers are real people, and if they are happy they will spend more money to take the experience further and return happier !!

Room Tip: The apartment and rooms were lovely
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
England
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed at Old Thorns for a birthday party which was one of a number of events taking place simultaneously in the hotel.

The weekend B&B price of £129 raised expectations of a high quality venue.

Unfortunately the venue appears to have been a victim of its own success, and the commercial ambitions of its owners and there is very little of the "Old" Thorns on display in an industrial complex that has had the soul sucked right out of it.

The accommodation block (yes) was only accessible by card swiping with no intercom to allow guests or visitors in the main building complex to make a visit without a telephone conversation.

By the card swiper is a wipe clean list of house rules - including no food or drinks allowed in the rooms 0 unusual for a hotel.

Somewhat surprisingly then, on entering the block, the first thing that confronts you is a bank of vending machines selling the forbidden consumables.

Very confusing.

The rooms are quite well proportioned, but the ceilings are ridiculously low making the whole effect more gloomy than it should be, not really alleviated by the view of the bog and neighbouring housing estate which was the alternative to the view of the massive car park on the converse side of the accommodation block.

A short walk across the car park, past Peter Aliss's private parking space (are we supposed to be impressed?), round the enormous Starbucks branding takes you into a rabbit warren that Lewis Carroll would be proud to have invented.

Our ambition was to fidn the gym, but with signs pointing in opposite directions, and none pointing to the gym, we managed to to get plenty of exercise in before working out that we actually needed to go upstairs.

The gym has been recently equipped, and it shows, with an overwhelming array of the most up to date high-tec resistance equipment, and more innovative ways to torture the human body than the US marines could invent.,

This would be a part of the complex that would be impossible to fault, if it were not for those pesky rules popping up again, with strict instructions on how close you had to be to the water fountain when consuming your drink.

Beyond the gym was yet more evidence of empire building as more buildings threatened to rise out of the Surrey countryside, so this place is not going to rediscover it's soul any time soon.

Having said that I would have to say that in the course of our stay we did meet some very hard working, cheery and helpful staff who should be commended for their professionalism.

Room Tip: Main building if you can, to avoid the accommodation block.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
london
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had a one night stay and it was very nice, lots of things to do and enjoy.
Food was very nice but do not expect your wine to be chilled, i had to complain and get bottle changed but the bar staff were very nice about it. My hubby said the golf course was great and i will say the same for the spa facilities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Park House Hotel & Spa
Solent Hotel & Spa
Solent Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Whiteley

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!