We stayed at the hotel for a wedding and the service was terrible from start to finish. We opted for an eco pod, which wasnt available when we arrived (we had asked for an early check in) it wasnt even available at 12.30 when I was told to return. We eventually got the key at 6pm, which didnt work, and we were told to 'jiggle it in the lock a bit'. Great workmanship!
The cleaner hadnt left the heating on so when we returned to the pod, in december, at 3am , it was like walking into an igloo. An oversight by staff as the hotel rooms were boiling hot and other guests were leaving windows open to get some air in! Aslo the bed was rock hard and not comfortable at all. And the 'shower block' was a green portacabin, with muddy floors and only one toilet, which was dirty and not flushed when I tried to use it in the morning. Instead we went to the gym and used their showers, but this was the other side of complex so a 10 minute walk.
The spa was good however - thats what got the 2 stars. I had a manicure and the beauty therapist was super, really helpful and also let me us the changing rooms to get ready for the wedding as the pod still wasnt ready.
The service at the wedding was also pretty dire - the bar wouldnt serve the groom a drink to settle his nerves before the wedding. It was 12.28pm and the bar should have opened at 12.30 anyway. Terrible behaviour.
At breakfast I ordered poached eggs - these took 20 minutes to arrive, and I had to remind the waitress a couple of times.
It was basicaly all just hit and miss, which considering the price is not acceptable. On checking out no one even asked us if everything was OK. I know it was a busy time of year, but they need to employ more staff so the few that remain arent so grumpy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 400 acres of picturesque countryside, Old Thorns has a unique way of doing just about everything. Steeped in history but with a modern contemporary edge, our 4 star hotel is widely regarded as one of the best hotels in the south of England, providing guests with a truly authentic experience. Offering a wealth of luxury facilities, Old Thorns boasts 160 bedrooms, 14 fabulous function rooms, 5 amazing Ball rooms, stunning spa and a state-of-the-art three story health club and wellness center, tennis court, nature trails, conference center, and a wonderful 10 wooden building Eco Pod Village with a state of the art facilities building. It is truly the perfect "Glamping" experience. Not forgetting our championship golf course designed by 'the voice of golf' Peter Alliss. Our unbeatable location on the beautiful Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex borders means we're just 5 minutes from Haslemere, 20 minutes from Guildford, 35 minutes from the historic coastal city of Portsmouth and 30 minutes from Goodwood and Chichester in West Sussex. We are ideally situated with easy access for unforgettable days out in the south. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel And Golf Course
- Old Thorns Hotel Course
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course Liphook, Hampshire