“Terrible service ”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Lytham St Annes
“Terrible service ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel and grounds were lovely. My room was a good size with a balcony. It was clean. When I arrived I was given no information just key which was not really a warm welcome.

The restaurant was nice food however service was so bad. No one came to me so approached a young lad and ask for a drink also if the salad was included he said yes so I had a little bit with my meal in which it was not and was a starter of £5.95 in which he came back and told me while I was eating it. He asked if I wanted a drink and then remembered he had already took my drink order. He forgot again so I had to get up and find someone to order for the third time. I finished my meal and the waiter came back to see if I ever got my drink he said he got called away to do something else. Really why on earth would you ignore a customer to do something else.

The next night I asked if I could place an order for room service at reception as I had just come from spa she said no I would have to go sports bar to order, I didn't want to as I was not really dressed to go in the bar. I went to the room to order and both phones were not working so I had to come down and book in the sports bar and got charged the £5 room service. I had done most of the service myself.

On check out the receptionist were laughing and joking with the golfers either regulars or men. I was checked out no extra mile no conversation even though I made a little small talk. I even stood there like a fool not realising they had finished with me. No how was your stay. Have a good day. Nothing ! Cold goodbye to finish of a cold welcome. I do a lot of business travel alone and to get a warm welcome and that little extra mile goes a long way. This was the 10/07/14 leaving at 8.00 am with the two terrible receptionist.

Tonight I am staying in another hotel and I feel at home lovely warm friendly service at the Hilton maybe they could do a customer service skills course here.

If you want a friendly hotel this is not one although Starbucks on site gave a friendly service.

Spa was great

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Seashe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Eastleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a fantastic hotel with great facilities and the golf facilities were brilliant. The service was wonderful and everyone was very polite. I truly can say I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. The bed was huge and the champagne bar had a wide variety of tasty drinks to try. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a lovely and peaceful getaway.

• Stayed July 2014
Little Dewchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a friends birthday. We ate I the sports bar which was very nice and we were able to sit on the terrace watching the driving range. Our room was in the new block which was still being built outside the window. No noise though so that is good. Room very good size huge bed, bathroom slightly strange as door did not shut but think that is more a snagging list. Breakfast was a farce with huge queues to self serve buffet toaster not working very well and staff having to push through the queue with hot drinks, think a rework is in order. Reception staff were friendly but no one else seemed to smile or say hello when you passed them. I would say it was ok for the money only.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ali S
Lincolshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed at Old Thorns with a colleague and have to say the rooms are very spacious, well decorated and equipped. My room looked out over the golf course and the luxury yurts which I think were un-inhabited at the time as I didn’t see any wolf-fur clad hunters or they were out looking for ibex on the other side of the fairway.
My big disappointment was the restaurant which appeared to be totally staffed by very young people (perhaps it was it a job experience day for the local schools?). The chef seems to be locked in a time warp when nouvelle cuisine first hit England. My starter of pate was presented as three discs of pate the size of a ten pence piece on three equally sized discs of toast. The starter was then presented on an oblong plate decorated with streaks of coloured “stuff”. My main course of pork belly and dauphinoise potato consisted of two three inch square slabs, one of fatty belly pork and one of compressed dauphinoise potato. The whole dish was decorated with what I think was brown deep fried cardboard.
What was very apparent was that the other diners had all gone for the help yourself carvery. Perhaps it wasn’t their first night at Old Thorns?

Room Tip: Your choice is the car park view or the golf club. Go for the fairways.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel seems specifically designed for large groups of people - tribute nights, weddings, 50th birthdays etc. Big carpark, large function rooms etc. We stayed one Saturday night in new wing of hotel for one such function. Bed enormous and comfortable. Staff pleasant & helpful - when they had time. Breakfast was just a buffet but was pretty good - you can always judge a breakfast by the quality of its sausages I think, and these were tasty. The coffee wasn't so good but there's a Starbucks outside (random!).

But... bathroom door in our room didn't shut. Phone didn't work so we couldn't call reception/room service. Not something i need to do very often to be fair, but it's quite a hike back to reception to have a conversation. The hotel room felt like it was made out of a kit of parts and put together by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Bars and restaurants are large and bland and not places that you want to dwell - unless in a large group. Drinks are not cheap. And my personal bugbear - a hairdryer that you have to hold the button down on for it to work - while you're drying your hair. What do they think we'll do with a normal hairdryer? Not turn it off?

So all in all perfectly fine for one night while attending a function but not somewhere you'd want to go for a weekend away. It's not a destination hotel. It's not a four star hotel and it's certainly not a luxury hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Moneypenny28
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

12 spent a Sunday Monday overnight and 2 rounds of golf , course layout excellent as were the views from the elevated holes , greens slick and true pro shop and starter attentive , will be back !
Hotel staff excellent booking in a breeze , and the food ( Carvery ) very tasty ! Leisure facilities
brand new , and the bar areas modern and tastefully decorated .
On the negative , rooms stuffy and very hot overnight ... no Air conditioning
But this would not put us off returning .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Really strange set up this, not sure what it is supposed to be, massive car park the size of a supermarket. It is a golf course, hotel, night club, or coffee place. Firstly, yes plenty of parking but if busy and raining long walk to reception, no offer of help with bag, only staying one night so not to worry. Check in hurried, woman seem stressed. Wedding reception in full swing, another function with the fake Bee Gees and one which i was attending.
Finally found room after exiting building to new building and walking maze of corridors. Room modern and very clean, however sink blocked and would not drain (174).
After function went to Champagne bar, nice atmosphere, however security doormen keeping out people who were not residents, thats ok but everytime you want the loo you have to leave and show your card to the same guy who let you out 5 minutes before, poor design of hotel?

This led to a number of people who had probably a little too much to drink arguing with staff at the door, later went to reception and found police there, not sure why. Drinks are expensive but hotel prices comparable with others.

Loads of noise, door banging, at 2.30 am then at 5.30 am and 6 and so on. People either coming back from functions or getting up early to be bused for another.

Not a place to relax, but if you like a good drink and a bit of entertainment then this seems to be the spot.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend one
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton
#1 of 1 in Sutton Scotney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,049 reviews
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel
Park House Hotel & Spa

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!