We booked this hotel based on the the promise of luxury at a reasonable price but on reflection this hotel is missing some basics which could make this hotel a real contender in luxury gold and spa hotels in the UK. On arrival the receptionists was clearly busy completing another task and as a result took a while to acknowledge us. This was disappointing, as an ex hotel reception manager, a simple acknowledge (smile or simple apology) goes a long way! regardless we were then attended to, check in was simple and fast but here basic points from the AA hotel rating system was missed. There was no mention of dining options/timings, where the different facilities in the hotel were, if help was needed with bags, how/where to access wi-fi, or a simple 'how are you/how was your journey/?" Without these check-in seemed very cold.
We booked a superior room, for the price we paid we were very happy. The shower was power, a good size t.v and a very comfortable and large t.v was lovely along with a nice view. There were a few scuffs on the wall, but this could be excused due to the age of the rooms after a small period of time. A possible modern solution to this could be housekeeping having access to a small pot of paint to cover the small scuffs, before they look unsightly.
We had dinner in the sports bar, it was a good atmosphere and the service from the bar staff and waiters was very good! Ordered the pea and mint risotto, the only disappointment was the mint in the dish was from mint sauce opposed to the dish being cooked with fresh mint as it traditionally would be.
With small additions and changes this hotel has potential and for the price we paid for the room, and access to the spa facilities we were happy, but I would not pay over £100!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 400 acres of picturesque countryside, Old Thorns has a unique way of doing just about everything. Steeped in history but with a modern contemporary edge, our 4 star hotel is widely regarded as one of the best hotels in the south of England, providing guests with a truly authentic experience. Offering a wealth of luxury facilities, Old Thorns boasts 160 bedrooms, 14 fabulous function rooms, 5 amazing Ball rooms, stunning spa and a state-of-the-art three story health club and wellness center, tennis court, nature trails, conference center, and a wonderful 10 wooden building Eco Pod Village with a state of the art facilities building. It is truly the perfect "Glamping" experience. Not forgetting our championship golf course designed by 'the voice of golf' Peter Alliss. Our unbeatable location on the beautiful Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex borders means we're just 5 minutes from Haslemere, 20 minutes from Guildford, 35 minutes from the historic coastal city of Portsmouth and 30 minutes from Goodwood and Chichester in West Sussex. We are ideally situated with easy access for unforgettable days out in the south. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel And Golf Course
- Old Thorns Hotel Course
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course Liphook, Hampshire