“Second time and this time for 4 nights”

Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
“Second time and this time for 4 nights”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Having been here before I had high expectation and was not disappointed.
With a prolonged stay of 4 nights I was able to benefit from the great spa facilities.
The place seems to get bigger and more like a business each time but it seems to works.
Only need a little more smiling from the staff please to make it more personal and less like a financial interest.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Alresford
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights for my. 60th birthday with close family. Rooms were good and food on the whole excellent. Only problem on first morning when the breakfast buffet had been left too long and most was dry and cold.
Golf course is good but not quite championship standard thank god as I am not championship standard either...

Celebration meal was very good and a thanks to the staff especially Charlie the waiter who were happy friendly and took some banter very well.

Stayed August 2014
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We took a weekend break at Old Thorns, what an experience. The break included 2 nights DB & B and three rounds of golf for the whole party. Finding the hotel was easy, just turn off the A3 when you see the signpost for the hotel.
The whole hotel experience was brilliant from check-in, where the people were both friendly and helpful, to the food which included the best Carvery experienced to date and the Buffet breakfast where you wanted to stay all day.
But, there was the Golf Course to enjoy too. The Starter at the first tee even told you where to hit the ball after a quick discussion about your golfing prowess. The course was an unforgettable experience from the amazing views from the elevated tees to that tricky situation, getting over the water, and yes there is quite a lot of it but not too much. Floating Balls are a wonderful invention. The course can be difficult for the high handicapper but for any golfer it is an interesting examination of skill and planning your next shot.
When we stayed there was a lot going on in the hotel with Hen Parties and a Golf Society not to mention two weddings and the site of Bride and Groom being driven around the course in a buggy to some memorable locations for a photo shoot added to the enjoyment.
Even with so much going on in the evening, sleeping was not a problem especially after a testing round of golf and some wonderful food and wine.

Room Tip: The rooms are comfortable and spacious. Rooms on the outside of the complex are quieter if there is...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lytham St Annes
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Had to write this review again as if you put anything under a three star it is removed but I was told this by a member of staff they get rid of the bad ones. So obviously you can't tell the truth. Sad that they don't sort the issues with the staff instead If you read most of the reviews they have issues with the staff.

Hotel lovely but the service is so bad ruins the experience. The receptionist give the key and that is it no information. They were so rude when they used my card and it didn't work on their machine told me I would not be able to get a room. No apology when it did worked I was so upset.

The restaurant I had never book last time and was told I did not need to book this time either. When I asked for a table at the first sitting I was told rudely that I had to book and was shown how busy they were in the book with a laugh at how stupid I was to presume I did not need to book I apologised that's all I seemed to do as I was made to feel like an inconvenience. He said there was one table in not a good place near the desserts I was ok with this. I managed to finish my meal and when I left still only 3 tables in.

The spa was the same no information no customer service.

Starbucks need to show the others what good customer service is all about they are so helpful and friendly.

I stay every week in the area but will never stay here again. If you like a friendly Hotel don't stay here. Good for facilities.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Seashe
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

we stayed at the old thorns for a wedding , the are is gourgeous,the breakfast was fantastic and our little eco pod was comfy and charming ,this was a great way to experience an expensive venue ,shame I don't play golf

Room Tip: we had an eco pod ,best for a cheap 1 night stay
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed one night here midweek at a very competative rate. The Spa area is great, we had it to ourselves pretty much, the facilities and pool are great. The receptionist on the desk wasnt much help as we hadn't been there before, no indication of where to go, that the lockers needed a pound etc. she could've been a bit more forthcoming with information, not everyone visitng is a member or has been before. Downside - TINY towels!!
We enjoyed the food immensely, we both opted for the stone steak and this was worth the visit alone! and such a great price. Service in the restaurant was hit and miss, drinks orders forgotten etc. but the decor is what was really concerning (in the restaurant and in the champagne bar) I think the interior designer must've been on something... The building has nice features in a nice barn style, with beams and high ceilings, totally RUINED by ever changing multi coloured disco lights! whats wrong with a bit of tastelful white lighting? its lke the place can't make up its mind if its classy or chavvy so decided to try and do both! seriouly the multi colour disco lights are ruining the ambiance of an otherwise pleasant restaurant and champagne bar, very odd. Breakfast was great, so all in all good value, one negative was no air con in the room, it was HOT.

Room Tip: I would go for one in the main building we were in a seperate building, ensure you get a fan/air con...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cathyluv
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

A little late but thought I should still review. We had our wedding here in April and it was fantastic. The venue itself is modern, clean and crisp, everything from the food to the rooms was lovely.

Wedding wise the staff were fantastic, lots of help to make the day run smooth, even sending a car to drive the bride 50m to the main building as there was a little drizzle, the food was really nice and the venue is perfect for weddings, we had the Hampshire suite.

As for the hotel in general it has a great golf course, really nice spa and nice big rooms, a great place for a weekend break and we are very much looking forward to returning for our anniversary.

I would highly recommend for both weddings and stays.

Stayed April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Haslemere
The Devils Punchbowl
The Devils Punchbowl
#1 of 1 in Hindhead

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!