My husband and I went to the hotel with another couple for a golf weekend.We met in the Spike bar and ordered sausage baps which when arrived consisted of a roll and two small sausages,no butter or extras very steep at £3.50 each.
The golf course was fabulous if very wet and muddy in places and given a few dry days in the Spring it will be even better.We found the round very slow not helped by at least one four ball pushing in on the 10th, the whole round took us 5 mins short of five hours and as much of this was in pouring rain we were tired and hungry when we got in.
Our room looked fine the bed was huge no complaints there.
The restaurant was just not good. One of the starters was a prawn dish which consisted of three prawns and one was a goats cheese starter the cheese was three teaspoon sizes of cheese and some lettuce they were £7.50 each. Not what two 6ft tall hungry men wanted.To prove a point they managed to get the whole starter on one fork!
We all opted for the carvery as a main as we had seen the size of the confit of duck go past.We were allowed on small slice of beef (about a tennis ball size) and one slice of ham.There were very few potatoes and three yorkshire between four of us we asked for more but were told we would have to wait for half an hour.
When we got to our room at 11.30 there appeared to be a nightclub either underneath us or very near, after an hour I tried to ring reception to ask when the noise would stop and despite trying four times over half and hour couldnt get a response at all. Fell asleep and woke at 01:40 and it had stopped by then.
Woke in the morning to lovely sunny morning,breakfast was very good and plentiful which was lucky as very hungry!
The surroundings are lovely and very pretty but the pathetic helpings in the restaurant would stop us going back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 400 acres of picturesque countryside, Old Thorns has a unique way of doing just about everything. Steeped in history but with a modern contemporary edge, our 4 star hotel is widely regarded as one of the best hotels in the south of England, providing guests with a truly authentic experience. Offering a wealth of luxury facilities, Old Thorns boasts 160 bedrooms, 14 fabulous function rooms, 5 amazing Ball rooms, stunning spa and a state-of-the-art three story health club and wellness center, tennis court, nature trails, conference center, and a wonderful 10 wooden building Eco Pod Village with a state of the art facilities building. It is truly the perfect "Glamping" experience. Not forgetting our championship golf course designed by 'the voice of golf' Peter Alliss. Our unbeatable location on the beautiful Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex borders means we're just 5 minutes from Haslemere, 20 minutes from Guildford, 35 minutes from the historic coastal city of Portsmouth and 30 minutes from Goodwood and Chichester in West Sussex. We are ideally situated with easy access for unforgettable days out in the south. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel And Golf Course
- Old Thorns Hotel Course
- Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course Liphook, Hampshire