“Always a pleasure to visit”

Champneys Forest Mere
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure to visit”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My friend and I attended in July. This was my fourth time but my friends first It was a beautiful hot day and we started our day with coffee on the newly furnished terraces. We had a swim in the outside pool which I have to say felt like we were abroard. The staff here are second to none. On arrival at reception they were very welcoming and charming. The thalassopool was as always great fun and lovely on the skin.
Lunch was on the terrace with a lovely cold glass of champagne, nothing could be faulted. After lunch our treatments. These girls really know their stuff. We could nt have been more relaxed if we had tried.
The only thing that could be better is a little more seating by the indoor pool, other than that this really is a lovely relaxing day. On our return we booked our next visit in September . We cant wait. My friend is hooked! Just as I am.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
Leighton Buzzard
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The last time in Champneys (Tring) back in 2009 I was surprised that i'd enjoyed it! So the Wife insisted that it had been a few years so we ought to go back...perhaps to a different site....doing the normal look on Trip Advisor and read the negative reviews I was filled with dread...then I turned up and was surprised to find the reception (which has been called out dated) to be bright and clean with very high quality......OK its no uber modern but this is a HEALTH RESORT!!!!

We were shown to our rooms via a corridor (which another reviewer stated was like Premier Inn that said they were also one of the reviewers who start every review with 'i'm lucky enough to have stayed in may 5* hotels around the world' yet only ever seem to review either weekend breaks in the UK or 2/3 star hotels in Spain...strange...) sorry off topic....so the building had corridors which had rooms off it, as you can imagine a massive surprise that they have not invented teleporting!!! The room was clean and yes probably needs a little updating but find me a hotel that does not, a quick check with the staff showed that they are updating some of the rooms so they clearly are investing.

Right next thing the food........this is a HEALTH RESORT...so not being able to have wine between courses is not the end of the world, at lunch it's a buffet style so help yourself to as much or as little as possible. The evening meal is well thought out with a handy guide on what it is good for the food I have to say was really great and I'm quite a fussy eater. The only slight niggle would be that on one of the nights there was only one item on the menu that I liked.

The spa is lovely, the treatment rooms forced me to relax the moment I stepped in, the treatment 'girls' obviously loved their jobs and made sure that I was comfortable through my treatments and made some really good recommendations (that even a guy could follow)

Every time I turned a corner I came across another member of who greeted me with a smile and 'hello' (for those who could not find any staff they were the ones with a 'Champneys' badge on)

In summary, worth the money - great food - great staff - great treatments - but the rooms could use a little update (but I know they'll get there)

If you are one of those people who are stuck up about staying in a place like this and expect perfection try somewhere else... there seems to be a little shameless advertising of another spa in the area (does not seem set up at all) so I suggest you go there...you'll be doing Champneys a favour

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnBurns1234
London
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I have visited Champneys in Forest Mere twice now and have had a lovely, relaxing time on each occasion. The food is delicious and the treatments wonderful. I certainly felt relaxed by the end, as one would hope from a spa.

There are a few little things that make this feel very much a 4 rather than 5 star spa though, which, judging by the cost, really should be improved upon. As mentioned in several other reviews, the decor is looking really tired and there aren't anywhere near enough seats or loungers to accommodate everyone. I went with my fiancé and we were frustrated to find that the steam room, plunge pool, and relaxation rooms are all single sex so we couldn't enjoy these together.

We also had a bad start to the day. I had booked our treatments and times well in advance but, when we were given our itinerary on arrival, we discovered that 4 out of 5 treatments listed were incorrect and all of the times were wrong. Staff were unapologetic as they nervously searched to see if they could squeeze us in somewhere. Not exactly a great start to the stress-free day you expect.

Once this was resolved though, we were able to enjoy the rest of the day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have now visited Champneys Forest Mere 7 times in the past 3 years and i love it every time.
My last visit was 25th July, my 16 year old daughter joined me for the first time.
When you drive up the long driveway, you get the feeling of luxury and relaxation. The spa itself is very clean, the reception is very friendly and welcoming. Treatments, food all get a big thumbs up.
I am sure to be going back within the next 12 months, i need to retain myself, else i would be on their doorstep every month lol.
Prices are not too bad, they do great deals, just keep a regular eye on their website.
I would say, ladies treat yourselves to some nice you time and visit the champ of Spa's: Champneys xx

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have been to this resort several times now, usually for two night stays and it just gets better and better. I booked a superior room (well worth it) and had several treatments which were all excellent. The food and service are superb, and I left feeling really relaxed.
There are a couple of small things that could be upgraded like the hairdryers in the spa area, but our room was lovely with very nice decor and a good TV so we could watch the royal newborn events! I love coming to Forest Mere because it feels like coming home, especially if Jackie is there in the spa restaurant to give me a warm welcome.

Thanks to all the lovely staff there and see you soon!

Room Tip: I like a room on 2nd floor and with a lake view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This is the third time i have been to this resort and it always lives upto expectations. Great ground floor superior room, lovely food and relaxing treatments. If i had one comment it would be to upgrade the locker/changing rooms. They're looking a bit tired. Otherwise - fantastic!

• Stayed July 2013
Horsham
Reviewed 27 July 2013

As you enter the long driveway and pass the lake and extensive lawns,you are immediately aware of the relaxing atmosphere which awaits you during your stay at Forest Mere. From the moment you enter reception, until the end of your visit, the attention to detail is excellent. When I visited in June with my disabled sister, she was shown discreet help and kindness from all staff members, which was much appreciated. The carefully tended flower beds and indoor floral displays added to the peaceful ambience. The bedrooms were quiet and comfortable, ensuring a good nights sleep. I had a back massage, swam in the pool and joined the yoga and body stretch classes. We both came away feeling rejuvenated and as always are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the lake which have their own patio if you upgrade.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!