“Fabulous”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went on a 2 day 'pampering break'. Absolutely fantastic location (request a room overlooking the lake as view is lovely); treatments are great - the therapists professional and friendly; food extremely good - beautifully served in nice restaurants. We stayed in a 'premier' room which was lovely - comfortable bed, nice sitting area and lovely patio. Worth going on a bike ride as the surrounding countryside is stunning.

However, and although we had a fabulous time and were treated like royalty, and came away thoroughly de-stressed and relaxed, there are a few small things that could be improved, particularly as the cost of the place means it must aspire to very high standards;

1. We booked for a fitness class, but the instructor didn't turn up
2. The grass on the outdoors badminton court and croquet lawn needs cutting
3. There is not enough seating around the indoor pool
4. The outdoor pool, whilst in a lovely setting and surrounded by pleasant flowerbeds and shrubs, needs attention. Not overly clean, and the surrounding flags need cleaning and weeding
5. We booked for a guided walk around the lake and grounds. Whilst the guide was extremely pleasant, she was a fitness instructor so not qualified or able to 'instruct' on flora/fauna

All the above are very minor gripes, and definitely wouldn't stop us going again. But, it is not cheap, so it has to set itself higher standards than others

Room Tip: Stayed in a premier room, which was lovely. Would request one overlooking the lake
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Forest Mere, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive review, I am pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time with us at Forest Mere and left feeling completely de-stressed and relaxed! I will follow up your valid comments regarding the pool's, grounds and classes with the Fitness and Maintenance Managers and ensure that steps are put into place immediately to avoid a repeat of these minor niggles so that guest experience is not impacted in future.

I do hope to see you at Champneys Forest Mere again soon so that you may see these changes in place.

Will

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Have stayed at Forest Mere often over the years and also been on day spa packages. As soon as you drive off the main road, you feel you are in your own little bubble of escapism from the outside world. The location is dreamy, no matter what time of the year. Staff service levels are excellent. Food is very healthy and there is a wide choice on all meals to suit everyone. There is also a nice snack bar. You won't be hungry! There is plenty to occupy you in the day with super exercise classes, walks, treatments, swimming, steam, etc, etc. or you can just read, sleep and do very little. It's definitely a place for a great wind-down. Evenings are very quiet so take a good book, a pack of cards, games, etc. or socialise with the few who do stay up.

Room Tip: Upgrades from standard rooms are not OTT and do make a difference
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is great to receive feedback from a regular guest who knows the resort so well and is able to provide such an accurate overview of Champneys Forest Mere. Your comments regarding the resort, team, food and facilities are very pleasing to hear and I will certainly pass your comments onto the team as feedback such as this only motivates us to keep up our standards and ensure that all guests are looked after in such a manner whilst here.

I look forward to seeing you for another visit again soon.

London
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just back from a SPA weekend with my partner.
When we arrived they told us that our treatments will only start on the following day. Pity because we were hoping to do the treatments on the day of arrival.
Then be aware that not all the classes are included in the price. My partner wanted to do Pilates. She was told that there is a charge because they needed to get an external instructor!!! Why do I care!!! With the price all sessions should be included!

Then be aware. Jacuzzi is cold. Swimming pool is cold. Mentioned by many other guests when I was waiting for my spa treatments today...

Staff is friendly but some a bit too mechanically friendly... Like that lady at the check out...Nice smile but it was clear that she didn't care... Her smile was like: OK, OK, now just go away...

I will not be a returning customer and I'm so happy to I've got a discount voucher from work otherwise I would have been very unhappy to pay over £400 ( a night stay) for this.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric A
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not up to the high standards we pride ourselves on and indeed deliver on a consistent basis. With regards to the classes whilst the vast majority of the 20 or so classes we offer a day are inclusive certain specialist classes do require a particularly specially qualified instructor in order to maintain the levels of guest experience that we want to offer and as such there is a small charge of just a few pounds, generally speaking our guests do appreciate that for more specialist rather than general fitness classes we do seek the highest calibre of instructor available and provide the classes at a subsidised cost.

The Swimming Pool temperature is monitored throughout the day and is set at 30 degrees with only a slight fluctuation possible of a degree either side, primarily due to ambient temperature. With the focus on Health and Wellbeing the majority of our pool users prefer this temperature so it does not get excessively warm whilst exercising in the pool. Similarly the Whirlpool also remains within this temperature range.

Your comments regarding the team are especially disappointing because as you can see from the vast majority of other reviews the team here get consistently positive feedback. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the Front of House Manager so that he can do some refresher training with his team to ensure that such instances are not repeated.

Thank you again for your review and I do hop that we have the opportunity to reverse your opinion of Champneys Forest Mere in the future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Very disappointed with our visit which was booked at the last minute as an alternative to B&B as we found a 'discounted' rate on the internet.

Our visit did not start well as our SatNav took us on a merry waltz and the signposting to the spa was not great but this was only the start.

On arrival we went into reception and could not find a single member of staff to help us check-in. After ten minutes I finally found a member of staff, who was dealing with other guests, who kindly issued our room key and we assumed this had just been bad timing. After getting to our room it was setup as a twin when we had requested a double so I tried to ring reception......... of course there was no answer. So I went back into the hotel and found the same member of staff as before (still attending the other guests) who again very kindly phoned housekeeping to remake the bed.

My wife and I then got ready to use the spa only to find that no robes were provided in our room. Again back to reception (no staff again) in the vain hope that we could be supplied with some. After another 10 minutes of wandering about to find some staff I finally found someone at the spa treatment desk who gave me some robes and flip-flops.

Ok all sorted now!!!!!

The pool is ok. As stated by others, the main pool is quite small with just a whirlpool and a communal sauna by the poolside. The steam rooms are only found in the changing rooms so you cannot sit with your partner in these!

The bed was comfortable but there is no wifi in the bedrooms which would have been nice.

The spa does not have a bar for alcoholic drinks. You can get room service to bring you a glass of wine to your room but that's your lot! It's a HEALTH SPA I hear you say..... Well, I just came here as a hotel guest so I expected to be able to buy a beer somewhere on site.

Breakfast was just a buffet health food extravaganza but by now I was expecting this. A cooked breakfast would have been a £6 supplement and comprised eggs and turkey rashers. I ate cornflakes! My wife enjoyed her breakfast though so I suppose it was just my expectation of more choice that was disappointed.

All in all I can say with some assurance that we will not stay at the hotel overnight again. There will almost certainly be better hotels for a similar price in the local area and I would recommend to all that you look around before spending your money at Champneys Forest Mere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Corrigd
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. First and foremost my sincere apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not to the standard you expected or indeed that we expect of ourselves and do deliver to on a consistent basis. I will be following up your comments regarding the staffing levels at Reception with the Front of House Manager to ensure that rota's allow sufficient cover and such an instance is not repeated.

Your comments regarding the sixe of our 25m length swimming pool are quite surprising as this is normally a source of positive feedback from our guests.

Whilst I completely understand your expectation as a hotel guest to buy a beer and enjoy a full English breakfast we do clearly market ourselves as a Health Resort and not a standard hotel, on our website clear information is given about this and what exactly we do offer. I will be working with the marketing team to ensure that the other booking websites are just as clear on this so as to avoid further misunderstanding.

Thank you again for your review.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have been visiting Forest Mere twice a year for the last 15 years and each time is a wonderful experience. Beautiful tranquil surroundings and although always fully booked it never seems crowded. Food is amazing, very healthy but a varied menu and clever use of low fat recipes still allows you to enjoy sticky toffee pudding and cheesecake for desserts! Classes are fun and beginners always welcome. Staff very attentive and nothing is too much trouble. Used to come with 2 girlfriends and now we sometimes bring our husbands as well who love the gym! Have been to other Champneys resorts and this is by far the best.

Room Tip: All rooms are to an excellent standard with toiletries and bottled water provided. Large comfy beds...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is so pleasing to receive such complimentary feedback from one of our valued, regular guests. Your comments regarding the resort and what we offer at Champneys Forest Mere are great to hear, especially that you rank Forest Mere as the best of the four resorts, the team will be thrilled to hear that and no doubt it will spark a little inter-resort rivalry!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Forest Mere for your next visit!

kind Regards
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have stayed at champneys on many occasions, my recent stay for just one night I thought was quite expensive for the room I had. I did request a Lakeview room, which wasn't granted which spoilt my stay. my room overlooked the indoor swimming pool which I was able to see every member of staff coming and going.
some areas are looking a little tatty and tired.
fortunately the staff never fail to please with their courteous, professional well trained manners,
nothing is ever too much effort. I look forward to my return for two weeks later in the year, as long as my requirements are met as requested.
the food is of outstanding quality and the grounds are spectacular.

Room Tip: .Request a superior room.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Champneys Forest Mere. Your comments regarding the team and the food are particularly pleasing to hear. My apologies that your request for a Lake view room was not able to be accommodated on this occasion, whilst the team will always strive to meet guest requests unfortunately it is not always possible due to availability. However I will of course ensure that this instance is not repeated for your next visit, please contact me directly on William.simmonds@champneys.com and I will ensure that you are allocated a lake view room and are well looked after during your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

A girly day out, introduced two new customers to Champneys who had a wonderful day and will be returning. Great facilities, pool could have been warmer and steam room smelt a little strange but all in all a very taking day.
Tasty food and friendly staff. Return trip planned !

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and thank you for bringing your friends along on your last visit! I am so pleased to hear that you all had a great time and are planning your next visit!

kind Regards
Will
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!