2,553 results
All reviews thalassotherapy pool fitness classes water beds health spa outdoor pool healthy food overlooking the lake steam room premier room thalassotherapy session snow room spa restaurant relaxing break night break full body massage relaxation room ice room
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have recently had a 12 night break in the resort. It could have been stunningly wonderful, but the extremely poor house-keeping made the stay less 5* and more poor B&B quality. I was unable to access my room until AFTER dinner on the night of my arrival because, although I requested a quiet room, this had not been given to me and so an alternative room had to be arranged - I arrived at 2pm but had to wait until 8pm to get into my room - not the best of starts!

My room was not cleaned or dusted properly. I had to request that it be vacuumed as this was not done at all by the end of the first week. The double bed was not made, rather the duvet was just thrown over the crumpled under-sheet, generally the room looked a mess - certainly not what I would expect from a holiday costing £2000. If you believe that house-keeping is part of YOUR job even on holiday then these problems will not cause you a problem, however, I believe I paid enough to get a break from these chores but this was NOT the case. I have since found out that the resort did not have a "Head of Housekeeping" and was in total dis-array..an excuse yes, but not 5* service and certainly not acceptable.

The food was excellent, the facilities are generally excellent, the range of activities is good. If you get the chance try the Nordic Walking class.

3  Thank JVE007
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Forest Mere, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my apologies that aspects of your stay were not to our normal high standards, the standards you have come to expect from Champneys. Whilst a room was available to you from 2pm the room you had requested was not due to other guests, i am sure that you can understand this. You will be pleased to hear that the housekeeping department has been completely reviewed with a new Head Housekeeper now in place and we are already starting to see the changes and improvement in standards that was required.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and the facilities on offer throughout the resort and that the issues you encountered did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My partner bought me the Laughter Yoga workshop weekend - it was fabulous experience on all levels. The course run by Julie Whitehead was inspirational and great fun. The surroundings and grounds are beautiful; the food was excellent and the service always with a smile; the pool (huge) with steam rooms and plunge pool are wonderful; lots of amazing treatments - total body radiance is a real pamper treat; the classes many and varied if you have the energy for them as well.

Room tip: I had a room looking on to the inner court yard - lovely but guess the rooms that look out to the view of the lake and countryside might be more fun.
1  Thank AnneCampbell48

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Laughter Yoga break, it has certainly proven very popular. Your comments regarding the wider resort are also great to hear.

I hope to welcome you back to Champneys Forest Mere for another great visit soon!

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

This was my second 5-night break and overall it's a very relaxing time. However, This year there have been quite a few small annoyances which has interrupted my relaxation.

On arrival no one on arrivals and then when someone finally came just handed our arrival pack. This is ok if u know the resort which i do but it was obvious that some people didnt and look a bit lost. When I got to my room my door card hadn't been activated so back to arrivals. Another 10 minute wait until someone in departures took pity on me. I was told that re-activating the card would deactivate my friends card in the same room so was given two. This is good to know but it appears not all staff know this as when my card stopped working again and I asked for two as resetting it would de-activate my friends card i was assured it wouldnt. Guess what my friend returned to the room from a treatment, couldn't get it, went and reactivte her card and then when I went back to room my card wouldn't work! What a pantomime. I found the staff very curt and rude in the spa cafe and some staff clearly out of their depth in busy times. Orders taking a long ime then incomplete - asked for water twice and gave up after 30 mins when didnt come. Cake served on saucers without napkins and folk so had to ask but felt like you were asking for the world. When asking questions the answers always seemed to be "I dont know" not "i will find out". My room service dinner order never came exactly as ordered always with something missing and on the last night not at all as the waiter had written the wrong room number! All the treatments are lovely and relaxing in a beautiful calming environment. These minor irritations will not stop me from coming to Forest Mere as i do leave feeling rested and relaxed but Champneys really does need to get its staffing, training and customer service right as it may put other people off on a first time visit,

2  Thank Theboblington

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your very constructive feedback. I and the relevant department heads are addressing it as a matter of priority and are both increasing staffing levels to alleviate busy period and focusing on the training of the team to ensure that service levels are maintained, even when busy. I am pleased to hear that these minor instances will not put you off returning and i am sure that you will see the changes and improvements on your next visit.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Last week I had a three night break here with a good friend of mine. I've been three times before and think this was the best one so far, even the weather was beautiful. We had a lovely room overlooking the outdoor pool and lake with roses round the door. We ate mainly in the terrace restaurant, the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. Jackie and Peter deserve a special thank you. We did lots of classes and the two treatments I had were excellent. I left feeling rested and ready to face the world again. Hope to return with my daughter later this year or early next.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, i am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that this visit was the best yet! I will pass on your comments to Jackie and Peter and ensure that they are recognized for their efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Have just had a glorious 8 night stay at Champneys, and am not disappointed. Wonderful staff that can't do enough to help you and a picturesque setting are the main selling points for me. I am leaving feeling rested and rejuvenated. I will be back.

1  Thank kholtge

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is lovely to hear such feedback from a regular visitor to Forest Mere, i quite agree that our beautiful surroundings are a real feature, especially at this time of year with the weather being so lovely!

I look forward to welcoming you back for another visit again soon!