If you are going to Champneys for fitness and high carb meals then this is a good although somewhat pricey place to go.
I was there to relax and spend my 10th anniversary with my husband so I was first of all very disappointed to learn that the spa areas were kept separate for men and women. There is one Jacuzzi in the common pool area but it has the same temperature as the cold pool so it was not very attractive.
What I did like about the place was:
- The thalassotherapy pool which was a nice experience, it should not come at an extra cost though
- the scenery and the view from our room. Definitely pay extra to get a room facing the lake
- lunch and dinner which were alright. Not great, but not bad either
- It is very quiet and peaceful
- the smell of their soaps
- cute bunnies running around in the park (did not care for all the animal droppings though)
- the young waiter named Sam, who was very courteous and friendly
What I didn't like:
- our musty smelling room. The bathroom was also very cramped and had separate hot and cold water tabs which meant washing your face/hands in either really cold or burning hot water
- the lack of service. After our first night the cleaning lady took all of our towels but neglected to replace them. We called guest services to have them bring some new, but they never came. Another example; my husband had emailed ahead of time to book treatments. Despite multiple emails he never got a response and upon arrival we were just told that this location didn’t offer those treatments. That was it. No apologies for not getting back to us or attempts to find other treatments
- the lack of chilled drinking water. Every other spa I have visited has had cold drinking water at your availability. One night they even ran out of sparkling water so you could just have room temperature tap water
- the outside pool area. It has a Eastern European feel to it and the water was 90% H2O and 10% dead bugs.
- the breakfast buffet; dirty glasses and a very single-minded selection. If you are on a low carb diet, you will go very hungry here. No eggs, meats, or cheeses. One morning there was cottage cheese and some really good hazelnut butter, but the last morning there was nothing other than honey or jam for your bread
If the place was a lot cheaper you would overlook most of these things, but it is trying to come off as a 5 star and it is charging as a 5 star hotel, the experience is more like a 3½ star.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Champneys Forest Mere reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Champneys Forest Mere Health Hotel Liphook
- Champneys Forest Mere Health Liphook
- Champneys Forest Mere Liphook, Hampshire