“Great value and worth a visit. Beautiful scenery and lots to do but book treatments early to avoid disappointment.”

Champneys Forest Mere
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
London
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Five of us stayed last weekend to celebrate a big birthday year. We went for the 'girls night in' package which was great value. Check in took a while but once settled in we really enjoyed our stay. Treatments should be booked ASAP as we left a little late and just managed to get a few extras squeezed in. Gym pulled out the stops to put on a private class for us which was excellent. Lovely surroundings for walks etc too. Food good choice but could do with waiter service around pools etc. All in all this is a great location and we will definitely pay another visit to Forest Mere.

• Stayed July 2014
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Forest Mere, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, i am pleased that you and your friends were able to enjoy a relaxing night at Champneys Forest Mere. You will be pleased to hear that we have 5 new therapists starting with us next week which will have a dramatic effect on the availability we have to book some last minute extra treatments however you are quite correct to advise booking early to avoid disappointment. It is great to hear that the Fitness team were able to put on a private class for you, i will pass your thanks on to them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Forest Mere again soon.

Will

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you are going to Champneys for fitness and high carb meals then this is a good although somewhat pricey place to go.

I was there to relax and spend my 10th anniversary with my husband so I was first of all very disappointed to learn that the spa areas were kept separate for men and women. There is one Jacuzzi in the common pool area but it has the same temperature as the cold pool so it was not very attractive.

What I did like about the place was:
- The thalassotherapy pool which was a nice experience, it should not come at an extra cost though
- the scenery and the view from our room. Definitely pay extra to get a room facing the lake
- lunch and dinner which were alright. Not great, but not bad either
- It is very quiet and peaceful
- the smell of their soaps
- cute bunnies running around in the park (did not care for all the animal droppings though)
- the young waiter named Sam, who was very courteous and friendly

What I didn't like:
- our musty smelling room. The bathroom was also very cramped and had separate hot and cold water tabs which meant washing your face/hands in either really cold or burning hot water
- the lack of service. After our first night the cleaning lady took all of our towels but neglected to replace them. We called guest services to have them bring some new, but they never came. Another example; my husband had emailed ahead of time to book treatments. Despite multiple emails he never got a response and upon arrival we were just told that this location didn’t offer those treatments. That was it. No apologies for not getting back to us or attempts to find other treatments
- the lack of chilled drinking water. Every other spa I have visited has had cold drinking water at your availability. One night they even ran out of sparkling water so you could just have room temperature tap water
- the outside pool area. It has a Eastern European feel to it and the water was 90% H2O and 10% dead bugs.
- the breakfast buffet; dirty glasses and a very single-minded selection. If you are on a low carb diet, you will go very hungry here. No eggs, meats, or cheeses. One morning there was cottage cheese and some really good hazelnut butter, but the last morning there was nothing other than honey or jam for your bread

If the place was a lot cheaper you would overlook most of these things, but it is trying to come off as a 5 star and it is charging as a 5 star hotel, the experience is more like a 3½ star.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Naomi R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, my apologies that certain aspects of your stay fell well below the standards you expected of Champneys Forest Mere or indeed that we expect of ourselves and deliver to on a consistent basis.

i have gone through your detailed feedback with the Heads of Department to ensure that the proper corrective action is taken to ensure that such occurrences are not repeated in future, thank you for bringing them to my attention.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity in the future to change your opinion of Champneys Forest Mere.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Wasn't worth the money, not cheap and expected much more. The place is quite run down in general and in desperate need of refurbishment. The jacuzzi was cold and the steam room could have done with re tiling. Only two toilets in the lady's changing rooms which was not enough and they were run down, chipped tiles etc. The electronic lockers are a good idea but most do not work properly. I had a massage booked for 3.00 and then was left waiting gone 3.00 as they had made a mistake, was told that the computer system said 3.30. My mum had a massage booked in for 2.30 and would have been nice if we could have had at the same time, other mother and daughter's we spoke to had their treatments at the same time. Also asked in the morning if I could book an additional treatment, was told no as they are fully booked. After reading other reviews this seems to happen a lot. All in all disappointing and had hoped for more. Lunch was the highlight. Will not be retuning and would not recommend to a friend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Carmen B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my sincere apologies that your experience was not to our usual exacting standards. We are currently recruiting for additional therapists in order that we can still have availability for additional treatments on even the most busy of days. As i am sure you can appreciate this is a rigorous process as we only recruit the best therapists available which can take some time however it is being worked on as a matter of priority. We are also expanding our Reservations and Scheduling department as well in order to manage the scheduling of treatments more effectively.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your lunch, it is certainly a highlight for many of our guests.

I do hope that we have the opportunity in the future to change your opinion of Champneys Forest Mere.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Wonderful setting. Staff were so helpful. Food outstanding. Facilities excellent. Guest presenter for the weekend was fantastic her Zumba class was amazing. Finished it all off with a massage-heavenly. Would definitely treat myself again.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank LondonSeamstress
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am so pleased that you had such a wonderful day at Champneys Forest Mere and were able to enjoy both the fitness and relaxation facilities we have on offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I spent the day at Champneys Forest Mere with a friend on Saturday. We had such a relaxing day which started with a cup of tea and fresh fruit slices (wish I'd tried the yoghurt and muffin too), a yoga class, lunch followed by the Thalossotherapy pool treatment and a Bowen technique massage. We had time to relax on the terrace which has a beautiful view over a large lake and lay by the outdoor pool in between. We couldn't have asked for a better day and went home fully recharged. I think it will be the perfect venue to celebrate my next wedding anniversary with my husband.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is great to hear that you had such a pleasant and relaxing day with us at Champneys Forest Mere. Our range of alternative treatments are a perfect way to try something a little different from the norm and we have an extensive range on offer.

I look forward to welcoming you and your husband for your anniversary next year!

Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

A friend and I visited Champneys Forest Mere yesterday for the first time and it was wonderful. The location is stunning, overlooking a beautiful lake. All the staff were polite and helpful and we spent the day relaxing and being pampered.

After a lovely lunch we spent some time by the outdoor pool and then enjoyed the invigorating Thalassotherapy. I finished the day with an 'ultimate age excellence facial', which was completely luxurious and the perfect end to a perfect day.

I will definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappyRunner19
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am so pleased to hear that your first visit to Champneys Forest Mere was such an enjoyable one and you were able to make the most of the glorious weather we have had recently.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another great visit soon!

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Used to work here, so I came back for a visit a few years later thinking it would be the relaxing getaway I had remembered guests telling me about. Came back to find almost everything the same- completely out of date and desperately in need of modernisation. Prices were adequate but the treatments were low quality. I would expect better from somewhere I had been telling people was "luxurious" for years! Lunch hasn't changed at all from what I used to serve, and actually isn't as "healthy" as they like to make out. Not impressed.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Laura T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not to our usual high standards. You will be pleased to hear that we have a multi million pound refurbishment planned for later this year stretching into 2015. this will encompass the Manor House, the three restaurants, a great new cafe ,public areas and Reception. We will then begin refurbishing our bedrooms.

Your comments regarding the food are particularly surprising as it is an area we receive consistently great feedback on, particularly the healthy nature of our dishes, with each one being nutritionally analysed before being put on the menu.

Will
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Grayshott Medical Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!