“Not worth the money”

Champneys Forest Mere
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My stay was fine but only because I had a 75% discount, had I paid £600 a night I would have been furious.

- The double bed was two singles zipped together so that it was not comfortable to sleep in the middle.

- There are two restaurants, the nice terrace overlooking the lake and a cafe that looks like an 80's nightmare. The terrace understandably books up fast for dinner, don't get stuck in the cafe, book early.

- The spa felt very low quality for the price. There is a nice large pool with a "whirlpool" to one side, this is essentially a poor quality jacuzzi. There is no other jacuzzi available unless you pay £20 pp for 30 minutes in the Thalosso therapy pool.

- The sauna and steam rooms are in the male and female changing rooms, so not great for couples. However there is a third sauna by the main pool.

- The lockers in the changing rooms have electronic codes but they caused lots of people problems during my stay with the codes not working properly.

For the money they're charging it just is not worth it. I had other friends thinking of going and I have told them not to bother.

It was a cheap hotel for me on a journey home and was fine.

As an expensive spa, it is in desperate need of an update.

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the lake. You can end up paying extra money for a ground floor room that opens up...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HughGo86
Write a ReviewReviews (2,285)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've been to Forest Mere about 5 or 6 times before but not for about 5 years so I knew roughly what to expect when I arrived. I took my eldest daughter with me as a birthday treat. All the treatments we had were lovely, the staff were very polite and helpful. The building and grounds were having a bit of work done but overall it was lovely. Our room needed a new headboard and replace the tired looking stool but we had a lovely view and it was comfortable.

Room Tip: We were at the back off the building overlooking the outdoor swimming pool and could see the Mere. B...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Linda R
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I drove to the hotel. We used our sat nav as there was no signage from the A3
and were directed down an extremely narrow and bumpy lane which turned out to be totally wrong. After returning to the main road and trying to find the place to no avail we asked a passer by who told us this was always happening! The directions he gave us were perfect! On arrival at the hotel we parked the car in one of the car parks. At the reception desk we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff and were then given an orientation tour of the spa facilities. There were complimentary drinks and breakfast snacks available until 10.30. The ladies changing rooms were clean and well equipped with lockers, towels, hairdryers and straighteners and also had facial cleansers and moisturisers in handy pumps. Our treatments were carried out by friendly, well trained staff. Lunch was at a pre arranged time in the coffee bar. There was an excellent choice of hot or cold food (or both if you were so inclined) which was healthy but delicious. Vegetarians were well catered for too.
The only criticism of the day was the type of bath robes which we were given to wear. It was a baking hot day and the robes were thick and heavy towelling! Needless to say we were far too hot. Perhaps Champneys need to invest in some lighter weight robes for the summer months for their guests not to suffer from heat exhaustion!! Other than that, it was a thoroughly relaxing and calming day on wonderful surroundings. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Celia W
Reviewed 3 August 2014

On Thursday last week I went with another friend to Champneys Forest Mere for a day break.
It was wonderful to go and relax be pampered. Staff were so friendly, nothing to much trouble. Check in was great. Treartments were brilliant. Coffee on arrival with muffins, fruit etc. The lunch there was taco plus a range from the buffet menu. All served very well. Surroundings and setting were absolutely beautiful. The whole area was kept very well up to date and very clean. I didnt want to leave at the end of the day. Really looking forward to my next visit,.Thoroughly recommend it.Was great value.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just to be able to go an relax and be pampered is worth every penny. I love this place and return every 6 months under their excellent voucher scheme. This visit was the first time I had gone alone and I was very well looked after, nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The spa treatments were amazing as always. I shall go back in 6 months!

Room Tip: This is a Spa not a real hotel, all rooms are in good positions.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Forest Mere, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is great to hear that you had such a relaxing stay with us and are looking forward to your next visit in 6 months time, we look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Forest Mere.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Not a good check in with confusion over providing another guest with a correctly sized robe - the guy on reception went through every robe in the cupboard at least twice and still gave the lady the wrong one
1230 after my facial went back to change - no toilet roll in the one of cubicles - it felt like being at home with the kids who never replace !
Lunch - asked for sparkling water to be told the machine was on the blink and only' still' was available !
Went to lay out round the outside pool - Had to get my own lounger cushion out of the storage bin and hump it round to a free bed. I had an expectation that the cushions would be already laid out as the sun was splitting the trees
1530 -After my massage which can only be described as mediocre ( I'd paid extra for this as the Spa day was a birthday gift ) went to the relaxation room which overlooks the pool . The water dispenser was empty and the pedal bin overflowing with used paper cups. It was already full earlier in the morning and obviously had not been monitored or emptied. I left the room to find someone to refill the water which was done in about 5 mins
1600 - my pedicure was the only treatment where I came away feeling pampered. A young therapist who did a very treatment
1730 - check out - a queue !!!! Only one desk manned

Overall , I came away feeling disappointed with the whole experience. For the prices charged , Champneys needs to up its game . I have had better customer service & treatments abroad in hotel spas ( IHG group and ACCOR grp ) that have been much less costle

I will not be in a rush to visit again. Did a similar day recently at Grayshott Hall which offered a slicker and more upmarket experience for the same sort of price

To add insult to injury , having filled out a customer survey directly to Champneys , I get a spam standard reponse from them this morning
'Thank you taking the time to complete our online questionnaire following your recent visit on Monday,28th July 2014. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit to Champneys and very much appreciate your feedback.'...........

I responded asking them to consider reading my review before offering me the opportunity to review on Tripadvisor . - The email to guest services was rejected - failed to be delivered
I rest my case !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Spachick64
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Forest Mere, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, my apologies that aspects of your stay fell well short of our usual standards. I will be sharing your feedback with the Heads of Department at their next meeting in order that the appropriate actions can be put into place to ensure these isolated incidents do not become habits.

i will also investigate the issues you encountered with our Guest Services email bouncing back, this is highly unusual.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Five of us stayed last weekend to celebrate a big birthday year. We went for the 'girls night in' package which was great value. Check in took a while but once settled in we really enjoyed our stay. Treatments should be booked ASAP as we left a little late and just managed to get a few extras squeezed in. Gym pulled out the stops to put on a private class for us which was excellent. Lovely surroundings for walks etc too. Food good choice but could do with waiter service around pools etc. All in all this is a great location and we will definitely pay another visit to Forest Mere.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, i am pleased that you and your friends were able to enjoy a relaxing night at Champneys Forest Mere. You will be pleased to hear that we have 5 new therapists starting with us next week which will have a dramatic effect on the availability we have to book some last minute extra treatments however you are quite correct to advise booking early to avoid disappointment. It is great to hear that the Fitness team were able to put on a private class for you, i will pass your thanks on to them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Forest Mere again soon.

Will

Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Grayshott Health Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Langrish House
Langrish House
#1 of 3 in Petersfield

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!